26’ Cat or 28’Monohull

General boating discussion
SDG

26’ Cat or 28’Monohull

Post by SDG »

Hello All
I will be contracting one of the popular aluminum boat builders to construct a boat for me in 2-3 months. The boat will be used for cruising in the PNW for up to 10 days at a time. Fair weather use with close offshore capability is the intention. Being able to trailer cross country to other areas is interesting.

The question is this: would a monohull of 28 feet in length, with a 9.5’ beam compare favorably in ride, maneuverability, overnighting, etc. with a catamaran design of 26 feet in length, with an 8.5’ beam.

The cost will be roughly equal.

If the roll and ride are similar, would the cat be a better choice due to a bit easier trailering?

Thanks to all who reply!

SDG
Chaps
Donator '09

Re: 26’ Cat or 28’Monohull

Post by Chaps »

The roll and ride are not similar, cats don't roll which is nice but they also lean out in turns which I didn't care for in the 27 cat I once owned. The mono will have more storage space and more useable interior space than the cat which would be more practical for cruising. The cat will be very maneuverable with twin engines set wide apart. The mono would typically have more range being able to carry more fuel and could be powered with a big single. Trailering is easier with a mono IMO, at least as far as launching and loading . . . opinions and compromises!
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
SDG

Post by SDG »

Thanks Chaps, those are helpful responses. The builder claims that the cat is much more “stable” in all aspects compared to the mono - which is why the cat is used as a survey vessel. This would seem to translate well to cruising.

SDG
JonH
Donator 21

Post by JonH »

The mono will give you more space as Chaps noted.

Typically cats work very well going into a chop and they roll less - their weak spot is usually in a large
following sea due to the lower hull volume.

Another consideration is how high is the tunnel - the higher the better for ride / less wave slap.

Like all boats weight is the enemy, the mono will suffer less due to excessive weight than the cat.

Like all boats everything is a trade off.
SDG

Post by SDG »

Thanks Jon

I guess my specific question is this...would the 8.6 beam cat have similar “stability” in ride and handling to the wider 9’6” beam monohull?? I understand the space differences.

Thanks

SDG
gandrfab

Post by gandrfab »

In my opinion it is something that has to be experienced.
There are many variables that can be put into numbers written on paper but it's not going to replace seat of the pants experience.
I'd list the trailer boats I have been on but glass is frowned upon here.
5 different cats from 22' to 28' and 30 or so mono's to 36'

I didn't like the fast roll a cat can have in a beam sea if the Capt' is not paying attention.
SDG

Post by SDG »

Thanks gandrfab
gandrfab

Post by gandrfab »

Taking into consideration your trailering requirement I would stick with the 8.5 beam.

I have hauled a 36' x 10'2" beam boat 13'9" from pavement to radar top all over Fl without a hick up but not miami-dade county strictly enforces trailer height and width laws. You can get permits to legally haul over size. Sounds like a hassle to do it from state to state.

I am partial to mono hulls.
JonH
Donator 21

Post by JonH »

Hard to say if a 8.5' beam cat or a 9.5' beam mono will be more "stable", everyone has a different idea of a good
ride, etc.

If cruising for up to 10 days at a time is most important to you then the wider the beam the better simply
for the useable space and comfort you will have.

If trailering cross country will be a major part of your boating then you might want to consider a narrower beam.

My boat is a 28' x 10' mono (plus bracket) and I'm very glad I have all the interior space when I'm on the water.
SDG

Post by SDG »

Very good feedback.

I am leaning towards the 9.5 width monohull as it seems the narrower cat doesn’t have an advantage in the water by very much. I am comfortable pulling wide loads and having the bit of extra space while on the water is of greater value.

I went into this thinking I would hear from all of you that the cat was superior Hull in the water and would be the hands down choice in this question.

Interesting!
JonH
Donator 21

Post by JonH »

What do you plan on for power?

Please post build photo's once you get started, we all like looking!

Good luck, Jon
gandrfab

Post by gandrfab »

That's another point and so many variables.
Planing, displacement, semi displacement?
All hulls can run at displacement speeds, planing cats can turn into a flat bottom ride in the wrong seas.
SDG

Post by SDG »

I am not sure of brand, but twin 150’s are suggested. Will post pics when building starts.

Thanks

SDG
gandrfab

Post by gandrfab »

Did you choose a hull?
If so have is it a production hull we can see others made from the same design?
JonH
Donator 21

Post by JonH »

If you are going with the mono hull I would suggest at least twin 200's.

Twin 150's is pretty light on power for that size boat - boats only gain weight during their lives!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic