Any Yamaha rigging knowledge here?

General boating discussion
Wantry

Any Yamaha rigging knowledge here?

Post by Wantry »

Hi gang. I hope everyone's keeping their heads down and staying safe in these weird times... all y'all in the Seattle area, and everywhere else.

Just before this corona crap hit the fan, I repowered my old 18' tin can with a 2020 Yamaha f70 (remote) and 2020 Yamaha f6 (tiller). My intent is to connect the kicker to the steering arm of the main OB with a Panther aux steering kit, same as I've used on my other boats and motors, but there's no steering hook on the f6 tiller as it comes from the factory.

Yamaha's rigging guide is a little obtuse on the subject, but my dealer mechanic and I were able to find a p/n for a steering hook that is part of the remote conversion kit for the small outboards (f6 thru 9.9 class). He didn't have time to install it before NYS shut everything down, and when I got the part and the motor home I can't see any obvious way to mate up the hook to the OB, unless I do some redneck fab work.

I'm either missing a part, I have the wrong part, or I'm going at it wrong. I am missing my local support system for this kind of question because everything in NY is closed. Not as big a problem as some are having, in the grand scheme of things, but, I am trying to solve it while i have some time on my hands. Is there anyone on here with access to Yamaha's internal documentation, or who has set up one of these motors, who can help me understand how to proceed before I start drilling a bunch of holes in a brand new outboard?
goodenough

Re: Any Yamaha rigging knowledge here?

Post by goodenough »

Don't drill :doh:
This may help:
Yam_Small_OB_Steering_Hook.jpg
Yam_Small_OB_Steering_Hook.jpg (34.98 KiB) Viewed 3944 times
Tight lines.
Wantry

Re: Any Yamaha rigging knowledge here?

Post by Wantry »

Thank you! I believe that diagram is for a T8. Mine is an F6 which is the more compact design. It shares part numbers and displacement with the F4, not the 8 and 9.9; and it lacks a grab handle (part #1 in the diagram) to attach the steering hook to. The rigging guide is short on detail about which steering kits work with which outboards; I may have interpreted it wrong; and I can't find any schematic (like the one above) that shows a steering hook attached to an F6 with no grab handle. If there's nothing on it in Dealer System, then it may be that Yamaha doesn't make a part for my particular niche application... it's a head scratcher.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic