14 foot alumicraft

General boating discussion
generalcheetos

14 foot alumicraft

Post by generalcheetos »

I just recently bought this 14 foot alumicraft as a project. I was looking for some recommendations as to the size of the motor that suitable for this size boat. The tag on the boat says up to 35 hp but everyone I talk to says thats way way too much. I was thinking about a 15 hp mercury motor. I will be using this boat on a pretty large lake in Texas. I'm not very savvy on manufacturers of motors so any recommendations would be great. This is my first boat so I'm very much the novice. Thanks in advance..
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Re: 14 foot alumicraft

Post by kmorin »

general,
I think the USCG placard on your skiff puts the upper limit on HP for the hull's wt and load? So in general use 35hp would be pretty much more power than you'd use regularly unless you're in the racing frame of mind? Then I'd be more concerned keeping the bow down, not flying (!) with 35hp than day-to-day use.

All depends on how fast you'd like to go? A 15 will adequately push this size skiff, especially as that class is built very lightly. But since we're not discussing exact speed figures? I'm speculating based on my own experience- and not your preferences once on the water.

Re:engines, look at the marina/launch ramp and see what's being used on your class of boat? Also, find the various dealers in your area and ask the level and duration of the support for different brands? Maybe Merc is longer or shorter than Yamaha- in terms of full warrantee? That will be worth money over your use-life of the engine- so important to consider when buying.

Will the dealership help install the engine? or will they charge for that? Could be couple C notes of cost just getting strapped on and running? Some dealers will drill your transom (if needed) and install some cables if you have remote steering (vs tiller?) and hang the outboard - but others charge by the shop hour for all that? Again, shopping and asking everyone for a WRITTEN bid for the engine (same question to all dealers) - install and back up? that can help make a decision for the new boater -"All IN" costs versus the sticker price for the just the leg -is the prop included? Not always!! Is a 3 gallon gas can included - w hose? Not always!!

Good luck with your new skiff.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
generalcheetos

Re: 14 foot alumicraft

Post by generalcheetos »

Thanks Kevin, a lot of good points..looks like I have a lot to consider
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic