Lubricant for rubber deck gaskets

General boating discussion
PappaPepper
Donator '20

Lubricant for rubber deck gaskets

Post by PappaPepper »

It’s been mentioned that Pacific Boats deck gaskets, provided for the Fraser Bronze Foundry deck inspection hatch, breakdown and fail causing water to enter the hull.

This is especially of concern when it’s raining and the deck is unable to drain fully because the bow is not elevated enough to facility the draining.

I pulled my deck hatch and found a failed gasket the other day. I ordered the replacement from Fraser and I’m about to install it.

Questions. Is there a lubricant or protectant to apply to the gasket to help it survive longer? Is there an appropriate torque for the hatch screws that would prevent over compression of the gasket?

Additionally, I noticed the hatch had instructions to remove and apply Anti Seize to the screws 3 times a year. Does anyone recommend one Anti Seize over another?

Thank you for your time.
1A9955D6-54E8-4434-82B6-1AFD37EF04CA.jpeg
1A9955D6-54E8-4434-82B6-1AFD37EF04CA.jpeg (163.6 KiB) Viewed 6390 times
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Re: Lubricant for rubber deck gaskets

Post by kmorin »

P'pepper,
I'd say avoid conductive pastes at all costs! No graphite, no pipe dope with metal in it! Tef-gel is a good and widely used product that is not conductive- and is used on gaskets, threads and other applications. https://www.tefgel.com/contain.php?param=tefgel_infor

another good process is to passivate your SS hardware (thread fasteners and all pipe/tube fittings) so they're delayed in reacting with aluminum. So I'd add to the thread fastener text on the casting- AND PASSIVATE the doggone screws!!!

Some owners will drill out the cast cover plates- oversized to the screws and insert short pc. of PEX or other nylon tubing as insulation bushings between SS and the cast aluminum. Just prolongs the life of the area around the dissimilar metals' adjacent contact. Also, by using a nylon washer in conjunction with a SS washer- you can also reduce the edge corrosion shown in your photo. When installing, flood the area with Tef-Gel or similar product and it improves life of the joint.

Can't hurt to at least look into this stuff?

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
Last edited by kmorin on Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typo's
kmorin
MacCTD

Post by MacCTD »

Never seen those hatches on a Pacific before, I believe they used Armstrong 8" deck hatches from the factory.
'05 Pacific 1925
Mercury 150
OceanTrvlr
Donator 23

Post by OceanTrvlr »

I have one of those hatches on my North River RAIV. The gasket is clearish/opaque and feels like silicone to me but I guess it could be rubber. Couldn't it simply be lubricated with a little silicone grease?
PappaPepper
Donator '20

Post by PappaPepper »

MacCTD wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:01 pm Never seen those hatches on a Pacific before, I believe they used Armstrong 8" deck hatches from the factory.
These are the deck hatches (Vice transom inspection hatches) used since at least 2014. This is located near centerline in the aft deck area. I cant speak to other hulls. I imagine they use these aluminum deck hatches because they are manufactured in the same town as the boats.

Pacific uses a Armstrong DP6 black plastic hatch on the transom inspection hatch on the 2014 and newer 1925s.
rkanner

Post by rkanner »

I have used Tef-Gel on mine hatch screws over the years (12). I generally open the hatch once a year, without a problem. BTW I was looking at the replacement gasket I order from Pacific Skiffs and it looks like surgical tubing glued together. I am guessing you can by O-ring material of the right size and make these gaskets yourself. Then you can change them as often as necessary. McMaster Carr has silicon cord to make the gasket. I have yet to size it but I am guessing you can purchase about 10 ft for about $30.
PappaPepper
Donator '20

Post by PappaPepper »

Deck Hatches secured! I used Corrosion Block initially to clean the old corrosion out and prepare the surface. I also soaked the SS fasteners in corrosion block to clean them up. I then used Tef-Gel on all the fasteners and and gasket (rkanner - I think its just glues surgical tubing too, but I bought the gasket anyways) secured it all back down. I'll let you all know what it looks like in a year or so :) Thank you all for the insight and great information.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic