New boat questions - hydraulic steering, carpet, trim tabs

General boating discussion
BoatingChris

New boat questions - hydraulic steering, carpet, trim tabs

Post by BoatingChris »

Hi all! I am a brand new powerboater and I have some questions that I am having a hard time getting a straight answer to. I have bought a place in the San Juan islands of the Pacific Northwest, and am looking for a boat to go island hopping, crabbing, fishing on occasion, and ideally even traveling between Anacortes and the islands. I have a mooring bouy, so I plan to moor the boat in the saltwater bay for weeks (or even more) at a time.

I have narrowed down the choices to two 150hp boats - a 21’ Raider 218 soft top ($61,450) and a 20’ Thunderjet Luxor softop ($53,450). I’m asking questions here because the various boat sales guys all disagree with each other, and violently!

The price difference is marked. Aside from the one foot in length, the raider has hydraulic steering and electric trim tabs.

How important is hydraulic steering on a boat this size and power? The internet seems to say ‘meh’ but the Raider dealer says it is ‘insanity not to have it.’ (I am learning a lot about boat dealers, who seem a lot like fishermen when it comes to comparisons). Should I try to have the Thunderjet guys install it or just do that later if I need it?

Trim tabs seem like a nice to have that are otherwise unnecessary. Many boats have them - but are they needed?

Thunderjet carpets the inside with marine carpeting, whereas the Raider leaves the aluminum painted. If I have this out on the bouy for weeks at a time, with the canvas up but the fishing deck exposed, will the carpet mildew and rot? Or just fade in the sun? I gather a mooring cover is recommended, but this seems like a PITA to install while on the bouy. Are there any out there that are easier than others for these canvassed soft top boats?

Finally - service. The Thunderjet is a good price from an out of state dealer. How good are boat dealers in handling another store’s boat as a rule? In cars, it’s no big deal. Take your Toyota/Ford/etc to any old dealer anywhere for service. But in boats? I’m getting these kinda sketchy vibes from these dealers overall. If I can’t reliably service the boat up here, I probably can’t save money (and access inventory) going out of state!

Thanks so much in advance for the help and apologies if I committed any faux paus - I’m new to the aluminum boat world and this community! I will do my best to learn.
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Re: New boat questions - hydraulic steering, carpet, trim tabs

Post by kmorin »

BoatingChris,
Welcome to the AAB.com forum and thanks for posting your questions. I hope members/readers/posters in your area will help with the specifics but I'd make a few remarks in the generic sense about your (future) boat.

The engine mfg. will be represented in different locations, so... if you choose one brand- make sure that brand is represented locally to your ramp? The boat itself is not likely to need actual service as much as the engine so the engine's representation is what to research.

I don't think any given shop will service your boat for anything less than their shop rates? So if you buy either boat, and it has wiring, fuel, or equipment issues (other than the engine) then you'd have to take it to the builder to get any kind of 'warranted' or 'guarantee' type of support. Otherwise the local boat shops will just charge you their rate per hour for any diagnostic or services? [ that is my presumption, but maybe there are service agreements available between the builders of these boats and shops local to you? Not heard of that but it may be in practice?]

My opinion of tabs on this small a skiff is they're only needed if you plan to haul extremely widely ranging loads? If you're planning on "a few crew and you" then the trim tilt on a 150hp engine is usually enough to trim by the bow. This size engine comes with hydraulic trim that become tilt-up when passed a certain point of trim. IMO tabs are required on this size with that much power.

Hydraulic steering is nice if you'll be turning hard while at speed. At slow (harbor) speeds, there's little resistance to turning the outboard; but at speed, it takes much more effort as the engine wants to center in the wake, or wants to wheel walk slightly to one side- but the trim tab can be 'trimmed' to counter that. Power steering sure is nice and you end the day without arm and shoulder aches if you spent the day trolling in a 3-4' swell working the helm constantly.

I don't know about carpeting the interior, never done on this size skiff. I'd go with paint to avoid having to fight cleaning carpet - just my take.

Again, Welcome to the AAB.com forum hope some of the Puget Sound guys will find your request for information and be more informative than an Alaskan.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
JonH
Donator 21

Post by JonH »

Hi BoatingChris

In addition to Kevin's comments I'll add the following -

1) I would go with hydraulic steering - no question.

2) Trim tabs are nice to have for balancing the boat - if the lateral loading is uneven or if going into
a head sea. Both boats you are considering appear to be relatively low deadrise hulls but trim tabs are
still useful even on smaller size / lower deadrise hulls.

3) I would avoid carpet at all cost especially on a boat that will be outside / at anchor.

4) In addition you need to ask how does rain water (granted the SJ Islands are fairly dry which helps a lot)
get out of the hull when it rains - via electric bilge pump or self draining cockpit?
If via electric bilge pump then you might consider a small solar panel wired to the house battery when at anchor.

5) Given that you are new to boating I would buy from a dealer that is - 1) Close by 2) has factory trained outboard techs
3) is the dealer for the brand boat you buy.

6) Mechanical suspension seat(s) are very nice - your back will thank you as will your passengers if it gets rough.

7) Most Important - you must get a high quality bottom paint job!
Any alu hull left in saltwater for a long time will suffer from corrosion if not protected and any amount of marine growth
will severely effect performance. Always tilt your engine out of the water when done for the day.

"Chaps" is the bottom paint guru on this forum, I'm sure he'll chime in at some point, he did my boat and his work
is 1st class.

Good luck, Jon
Craigb
Donator '21, '22

Post by Craigb »

Both of the boats you mentioned seem to have covered plywood for the sole/floor. Have you looked at any boats that have a fully welded in aluminum sole? You are at the size where you could likely get one that is self bailing as well and not have to worry about bilge pumps/covers, etc as much.
BoatingChris

Post by BoatingChris »

Wow, great answers! Craigb - I haven’t. I think all the boats I’ve seen (Hewes, TJ, Raider) are plywood and vinyl. Any suggestions of what I should look at? Unsurprisingly, no dealer has mentioned this - or self bailing - but, that’s why I came to you all!!
Craigb
Donator '21, '22

Post by Craigb »

There is a fairly extensive list on this website of builders. You should be able to find a few options in your area, and can likely deal directly with builders instead of dealers. Lifetimer, Silver Streak, Pacific come to mind. You should be able to find many more that build a more commercial quality boat that would last much longer.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5678
Also worth noting, if you are over 6M/20' you can get away from the builder needing to add floatation foam as the boats over this size don't need to meet the swamped stability standards anymore.
Any of the plywood, vinyl, painted sides, etc wears out quick. There is no end of people trying to rebuild those parts of the recreational grade boats, and on boats that aren't very old.
BoatingChris

Post by BoatingChris »

Again, just want to say thanks for all the help. I ended up deciding to step away from the 20' TJ to go to the 21' Raider. While this is definitely more money (the TJ was a good deal, relatively speaking) having a dealer that's closer was important to me given my newness to boating. And that addressed the hydraulic steering (has it), trim tabs (has 'em), and carpet (doesn't).

Thanks all!

Chris.
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

My 2009 ProFish 185 Raider has hydraulic steering...love it...and I only run a 90HP! My floor is plywood covered with crinkle vinyl. I have the OB extension and that is great it is full width and one piece aluminum from bow to stern...I only wish that the bow deck was a welded alloy.
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic