Jon boat pitting repair

General boating discussion
ARERHODES

Jon boat pitting repair

Post by ARERHODES »

Pitting
Pitting
PXL_20210521_191902740.jpg (93.88 KiB) Viewed 4255 times
Good afternoon from Virginia. I was given a 14ft Lowe Roughneck Jon boat by a friend. It sat down on the edge of the water for a while with a wet hull. Long story short, there is a lot of pitting corrosion on the bottom. It had bottom paint over it which I have stripped. Any way to fill these pits and repaint? This would just be a crab pot checker/ occasional duck boat. I'm not storing it in the water.
gandrfab

Re: Jon boat pitting repair

Post by gandrfab »

One of the better cleaning jobs I have seen.
How much looks like that?
Cut out, replace sheet metal honey comb with new metal.
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Re: Jon boat pitting repair

Post by kmorin »

ARERHODES,
in this category on threads listed below of similar subject are very detailed methods and discussions of your boat's problems and potential cures.

Chaps, a Forum Member with a bottom paining service in the Puget Sound has a very clear step by step guide to the work needed to stop the corrosion and use the boat w/o welding if that is possible?

I think the test is: are there pits all the way through the hull? If so? how many in a given area- say none all the way through? Or you might say there are only three actually leaking in the entire hull or you may find half dozen per square foot? This could be a case where the boat is mostly useful as a raised bed planter?

In other cases, where the corrosion can be cleaned and stopped- you may find coatings that will recover the hull enough to use? Welding on a "salvage hull" might be a bit expensive compared to the return on costs?

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic