HELP! There is a hole in my boat

General boating discussion
IB Boyd

HELP! There is a hole in my boat

Post by IB Boyd »

Hello all, My name is Boyd, and I live in Imperial Beach, CA. I own a 17 foot western CC, built in 85. I bought it about two years ago, and so far it has been a sturdy little skiff, getting me to and from my local kelp beds quite well. The other day, on the way out, I noticed a little more than usual water in the bilge. By the end of the day, It was a LOT of water. Got her home, dried her out, and put a little fresh water in the hull to see if I could find the source of the leak. Turned out to be the thru hull fitting for my bait tank. I just installed a T-Valve in front of the pump last year (previous owner didnt do t it) and thought maybe my plumbing was loose. Well, it wasnt the plumbing :cry: . Turned out.revious owner used a brass cover on the outside of the hull to cover the intake to the bait tank. It had elecrolisised(spelling) itself to death, and was breaking loose, taking a nice round chunk of hull with it :shock: . All this came loose in the trouble shooting process, and there is now an approximatley four inch by three inch hole in the botom of my boat. Its in a flat section, underneath, about a foot foreward of the stern.
Its an older boat, and I dont know if its weldable. Im pretty depressed. Is it fixable? Can a welder put a plate on? Any help appreciated.
Boyd
Imperial Beach,
CA
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Welcome to AAB Boyd, My granny and Gramps Lived on Ebony St. in IB about 3 blocks from the peir.

Boyd, it is fixable , just need to find the right guy .

Look up user Jim Day on here and see if ha can refer you to someone.

Others will be along soon .

:wink:
IN2DEEP
WON Super Star Donator '08, '09, '10, '11

Post by IN2DEEP »

Welcome Boyd,

Your boat should be repairable by doing exactly what you thought: Weld a plate in the damaged area.

We just had a couple of new members join the site that are from your area that found a welding shop in (Santee?) that is going to do some major work on their 20ft Bayrunner.
Let's see if we can find out the name of that shop.

As you found out, you cannot use brass or copper screws in an aluminum boat because of major electrolysis issues.
Stainless screws in conjunction with a bedding compound is preferred. This is the best product that you can use:
http://wolfwire.com/tefgel/Tef-Gel.htm
If the previous owner had used an aluminum plate instead, you would not be having this problem.

Can you post some pictures of the problem?
There's a tutorial on how to post pictures in the "New Members" section.
Ask away with your questions and we'll do our best to answer them.

Scott
1989 22' Walkaround Cuddy Bayrunner
2001 115 Merc. 4 stroke/1988 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke kicker
IB Boyd

Post by IB Boyd »

Welder, sounds like they are about a mile from my place. Thanks for the input guys,I will sleep better. If I get a chance to snap some pics, I will put them up. I also have some happier pics of my boat and dead fish to put up as well(saw somebody asking about white seabass on another thread).....but yes brass was very bad for my sled!
The site looks like a great source of info. Thanks much
Boyd
Daddy'O
Your location: TX

Post by Daddy'O »

Welcome to the site Boyd!

Sorry about your troubles but as you've learned, it is repairable and a relatively easy one too.

Please post pictures of the damage. It would be good for people to see just how damaging electrolysis can be.

Again, welcome to AAB!

Wayne
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

Merlin

Post by Merlin »

I used to have a mid 70s gregor that needed some welding and the repairs turned out great. Gotta find a really good welder, though - it'll make all the difference.

Also, West Systems has this flexible epoxy that would probably do the trick as well. Check it out at:

http://www.gougeonbrothers.com/G-flex/

Read the part about the canoe repair, pretty amazing stuff.

Good luck and welcome to AAB!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic