livewell pics

General boating discussion
FishMagnet

livewell pics

Post by FishMagnet »

Anyone have any good pics of their livewells to look at? I was thiking of a large Keep Alive livewell for the transom area...I was also wondering if I got the 26 or 28 from Pacific....could a bracket be built to hold the livewell tank on the swim platform/engine mount area ( in the middle between 2 outboards.) This would clear up the cockpit space...allow for the livewell to jut drain out the upper fitting into the water, and not have any over the transom stuff. What do you think? Also, by spacing the twins apart a little more...would that improve handling/fule burn? Wider spacing would help with turning at mooring and keep the props in cleaner water while running...or is my thinking all whack? :? :shock:

thank again
Bullshipper

Post by Bullshipper »

Can an in floor well be ordered from the factory?
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Hope this helps.........

2325 wa Pacificskiff.

Offshore OS-45-O Bait tank...... 45 Gallons 3 scoop tank. General rule is 1 scoop for the first 20 gallons and a scoop for every 10 gallons afterwords. Personally I feel 2 scoops would survive better then cramming 3 scoops.

Bait pump is a 800 gph Shurflo. A bit noisy for my taste. Follow the 5 minute rule. The tank should fill up in about 5 minutes. Hose lengths angles (90 degree bends) and height above waterline to where you tank sits should be taken into consideration. A safety note notice shut off valve below the bait pump.

This tank has a light on the bottom of the tank it is said to calm the bait at night . My personal feeling is it just makes it easier for me to pick my bait out at night.

For shark I have bled out bait in the tank. It makes a good blood slick and I have had Mako's come right to the boat trying to stick their nose up the livewell drain.

A 45 gallon tank holds around 382.5 lbs. of water. Plan out the best point of balance for the tank to be placed.

Here is the Offshore website http://offshoreproducts.com/aboutus.htm

Good luck. Have fun. Calm seas and a wide open bite to you.

Mark
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

mojo how is that held in place? Vey nice setup!!!
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I've been a long time "KEEPALIVE" user. And you'd have to make an extra hole. They are not flow-thru tanks.

You're wanting to put alot of weight on the stern.

Know one really knows this. But if you want MORE room in the stern. See if you can move things forward. And don't get anything in the stern. Zip. That's what I did in my 26, and I have ball room dancing. I moved my console & leaning post 2 feet forward.

The problem you'll have (if you are cabin people) you can only do so much. I do not think the ride of my boat was effected hardly at all
Picture this boat with console moved 2 feet forward, thats me.

I believe you would be better with a boxed in Live well in the stern, which they can do. I do not think compromising the deck with a live well under it is a good idea, or they even do that. I get asked all the time, if I have hatches in the floor of my boat, because people want to make it into a 26 NON ALLOY boat with lots of fluff. I didn't want any fluff. So I just went 26, rather than 23.

Engines further apart....don't believe that's an option either.

If you went the 28 footer route, don't worry YOU'LL have room. My 26 is (I feel) enormous. And my boat can probably fit inside a 28.
NIGHTHAWK

Post by NIGHTHAWK »

Here is our $20.00 proto type that worked well for our tuna season last year. I put it together in about an hour one night before an offshore trip and we used it the rest of the season the way it was. Never had any bait roll and we caught a lot of tuna.

I have a lid now and a few more mods to make and it should serve us well again this year.

28' MAXWELD MAXCAT (Twin 225 Hondas)

cptom
Donator '10

Post by cptom »

This is a picture of a removable Kodiak livewell in my 26 BlackLab. The factory welded four "tapped" bases into the deck. The Kodiak mounting brackets can be fastened by screws into the bases and removed when not needed in order to increase space in the cockpit for my "ecotour" charters. The overflow is just a large flexible tube that is inserted into the scupper that leaves plenty of room for water flow around it for cockpit draining.

http://www.blacklabmarine.com/deck.html
Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

Mojomizer,
Nice tank and setup overall. Thanks for the link to the tank site, very nice products.

Nighthawk,
Nice job on the pickle barrel live bait well, great job for a couple hous of work!

Right now, I have a Cabelas live bait well, and I cosntantly have pump issues with it getting clogged, even with the sponge filter.

Who knows of a heavy duty, constant duty bait well pump???

I might make a new larger, taller all aluminum fish box with 3" of foam insulation and a oval shaped live well that would hold 50-60 gallons.
Marty
ImageImage"IRONWOODTUNA" the Alloy Sportfisherman Battleship!
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Alloytoy thanks for the kind words, The tank is bolted down with underneath internal "L" brackets deck to tank. Have had 300lbers leaning on it no problems.

Marty thanks for the compliment are you talking recirculating aerator or pump?.................. if its a pump Jabsco is prefered choice for heavy duty. Your existing tank would do well with Rule or Shurflo.

Thanks

Mark
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Mark , I have the same tank and I love it.

:D
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

mojomizer wrote:Alloytoy thanks for the kind words, The tank is bolted down with underneath internal "L" brackets deck to tank. Have had 300lbers leaning on it no problems.

Marty thanks for the compliment are you talking recirculating aerator or pump?.................. if its a pump Jabsco is prefered choice for heavy duty. Your existing tank would do well with Rule or Shurflo.

Thanks

Mark
Mark, I think a recirculating pump is all I need, but a heavy duty one that can be left on for long periods of time. Maybe I got to get the pulsing timer. I usually keep dumping a fresh buckets of water to keep the amonia from building up and killing the bait. Usually Squid for tuna and porgys for bass, as well as keeping the seabass alive till we get back to the dock for cleaning for the wife.Marty
Bob5292

Bait Tank

Post by Bob5292 »

NIGHTHAWK: If you put a 90 degree elbow on your water inlet, you can get the water spinning a bit and it should work even better. That way the fish have some current to swim against and they are less likely to ram their noses into the sides of the tank and it will keep them a bit livelier.

Bob
IN2DEEP
WON Super Star Donator '08, '09, '10, '11

Post by IN2DEEP »

Bob, Do you mean like this? This made a BIG difference on my tank and a bubble free water supply is better
1989 22' Walkaround Cuddy Bayrunner
2001 115 Merc. 4 stroke/1988 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke kicker
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

NightHawk cool pics on the Longfins....... neat tank also.

Lester I agree with you. The tank is bullet proof. Just ordered a cutting board cover for mine. Its is a neat design.

Scott you are the MacGyver of aluminum alloy. Great job.

Marty not real knowledgeable about recirculation pumps. Our bait out here is really sensitive to water conditions. Air bubbles kill or weaken my bait. I believe in pumping raw water into my tanks

The best I could come with with a little research(very little) is this site: http://www.catchnbait.com/keepalive-shad-bait-tanks.htm
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10

BAIT PUMPS & DIFFERENT TYPE SYSTEMS

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

Mojomizer,

Great website! Cool Glow Tanks...

But the video of the pump with all the airbubbles, your saying kills the bait, which way is it. Tell me about your opinopn of the pump and millions of tiny bubbles VS just circulating new water???

You guys on the West Coast are using sardines, anchovies and salamies, so you just pump fresh sea water continuously???

To do that, i will have to do some out of the water work to install a stainless steel intake point, some through the deck fittings and then some above deck plumbing to do that. Sounds like a task I will enjoy.

Thanks, Marty
NIGHTHAWK

Re: Bait Tank

Post by NIGHTHAWK »

Bob5292 wrote:NIGHTHAWK: If you put a 90 degree elbow on your water inlet, you can get the water spinning a bit and it should work even better. That way the fish have some current to swim against and they are less likely to ram their noses into the sides of the tank and it will keep them a bit livelier.

Bob
I think that is a myth. I have heard that from time to time. For 3 years we kept our live bait in one of our square fish holds in the deck and never had bait roll.

Our hold/bait tank:

The chovies are not inherently suicidal. If you look close enough, you’ll see they are swimming in a circle.

Having said that, this is a proto type with several changes coming (maybe).
28' MAXWELD MAXCAT (Twin 225 Hondas)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic