THE REASONS WHY.....

General boating discussion
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

THE REASONS WHY.....

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I'll just provide the link. It explains the WHY'S and I believe sometimes with all our discussions here. We need to go back and see what turns us on.....really on.

This is what did it for me, and it's here:

http://captdaves.blogspot.com/2008/06/6 ... -sake.html

I hope you can post along with me. What turned you on.
S L Dave
Donator #1 '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13

Post by S L Dave »

Good post Dave and Great video.

This may be long, is probably boring, but it is my intro to alloy:

I had owned and loved a 1986 "Ping Pong" constructed 21' Cuddy Cabin for 20 years.
In late 2006, I was starting to think about my next boat purchase and when surfing the net I found a very popular boating site and started asking questions of owners of various boats. After a couple of months, I had narrowed my choices down to two sturdy brands of "manly" fishing (yet non-alloy) boats...then the choice was narrowed down again to one. I spent some time asking questions on the Classic ****** owners forum and, with one exception, found good, honest,helpful like minded people.

So after deciding on the 23 foot model, I walked down to the local dealership with my checkbook in my back pocket. I was very excited to buy this new boat...even had a name for her. I was talking about pricing and gently asked "how come there is such a large price difference for this boat on the East Coast?" (ofcourse, I took transportation, gas, etc, into account). The dealer told me," GO BUY A BOAT IN FLORIDA!!! JUST WAIT AND SEE WHEN YOU NEED SERVICE, YOU WILL BE AT THE BACK OF A VERY LONG LINE. MY CUSTOMERS COME FIRST!!...I AM TIRED OF HEARING..."

Well...I guess I hit a nerve. He actually had to be stopped from his rant and I said..."I get it. I get it. It's OK." Needless to say, I said thanks for your time and I left with my checkbook. After that, I called the family owned factory and tried, without complaining or explaining, to see if there was another dealer that I could buy a boat from. I emailed the owners daughter who is the customer service person...I called...I emailed again...I called again........nothing. I had had enough.

Back to the internet to ask more questions and find my next boat. I ran into several threads populated by people with names like Welder...Jettywolf...AlloyToy...Nuke...BlackLabMarine. They were talking about a whole different kind of boat ownership. Where there were no gel coat cracks, no wood to rot in the transom, no endless hours of waxing...or if I was lucky, no scrubbing blood off the white deck. So I took a ride down to TWI and take a look at the boat that they were all raving about. I met the dealer who did not yell at me and who I have come to know, trust, and like very much as Kenny. I stepped aboard a 2025 model and the light went on... I heard angels singing! I felt the metal beneath my shoes...I saw the tough as nails construction...I felt the welds with my fingers...There was no more looking. This was the boat that was made for me. There was no doubt. Now I just had to pick out the details....size, layout, etc. I was home.

I really do owe the nasty "pingpong" boat dealer a "thank you". If he was a decent guy, I would have bought a boat from him that day, and never would have seen the light. So...that is my story. I am now an alloy man, and will be forever.
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

AWESOME, S.L. DAVE!!

Sometimes here at good ole AAB.com we loose sight of the why's and how's of us all becoming either owners, and inturn AAB members.

The video I posted on my daily blog, was just "one last final thought" that made me happy that I made the right decision.

I'll split 90% of the credit. Some goes too my ole 1974 rivited 14' Alumacraft memories with my dad and I sitting low in it, out in the big ocean, catching fish.

And to Jay Perotta of BlackLab Marine, for giving me & my dad two of the best days we've ever spent on the water in a far away place called, Yarmouth Maine.
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Great post Dave.

I member from huntingBC made that video and posted it all over the net. I forget which river he was running but it's up here in Beautiful British Columbia. Lot's of jet boats on the mainland B.C.. Wild stuff.

Where I live their are lots of aluminum alloy boats. Mostly commercial fishing, research, and law enforcement vessels etc. I grew up seeing them all the time. I have always wanted one from the get go. My dad had NON ALLOY boats and a big old wooden cruiser when I was growing up. I am little hard on boats when it comes to fishing and crabbing and prawing etc. as I don't want to have to worry about slapping traps against the sides or dropping a cannon ball on the deck etc.(it happens).

The one that really made me fall in love with them was a Northwest Aluminum Craft that was docked at the French Creek Marina on the East side of the Island. To this day I can remember that boat and just loved it.
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

See?

It's warm and fuzzy, when it's all boiled down to the why's.

I'm so glad I recieved the e-mail from a guy asking about that video that nailed the NON ALLOY boat hatch shut, for me from now on.

Right now, in my world a warm and fuzzy moment is really hard to come by.

Anyone have any more.....we're here having a "Dr. Phil" moment, join us for a little koom-by-yaa.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Well,
First here's what I've owned

Bluefin, Proline, Seaswirl, Maritme Skiff, Maritime Skiff (again), Eastern, and now my Pacific!!!!

Every one of the above glass boats had problems within the first 6 months. I tried & tried to find the right boat. Production built, custom built, semi custom built and could not escape the spider crack, gel coat issues.

Finally I said I'M DONE!!!!! "Pinged" Jay and after 20 or so quotes with adding and removing all different items on all different models :D WHAM!!! We sea trialed on a snowy Dec. AM (my B-Day to be exact) and took delivery the following Feb.

Two things I don't like about my Pacific:
1.) You can't escape the questions at the coffee shop so you MUST leave an hour earlier to get to your fishing spot for the tide :D
2.) Need more time to enjoy her!! You know when you sit down at a nice Italian restaurant and they bring out their best dish........and you're full but want to eat more!!!! That's me in my Pacific

Now a special thanks to Capt. G for all his input in helping me from the boat to the trailer, and Dave M. for his time on Thanksgiving weekend that year for answering all kinds of questions and sharing his BFT technique :D and of course Jay for brining a great product to the NE!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic