counter rotating engine

General boating discussion
Grayfisher

counter rotating engine

Post by Grayfisher »

In planning my next boat, I have been offered a "deal" on a new, but old stock 2006 Honda motor with counter rotating prop--apparently ordered for a dual engine application that did not happen. The discount offered is attractive. Can any of you suggest a reason to be worried/concerned--i.e. is there a significant down side to the prop turning the other way on a single engine boat? I suspect the power head is the same, just the lower unit is different, and as in the minority might be more expensive for repair parts.
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

I recall having a discussion years ago with a reputable mechanic concerning a plan I had to do the same thing (for the same reason). He talked me out of it, something to do with ccw lower units being overstressed due to the thrust loads being applied to the reverse gearset. I guess they beef these things up to handle it but its not ideal apparently, especially as a sole engine. Check it out, could be a marine industry myth but maybe not . . .
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
gandrfab

Post by gandrfab »

one thing comes to mind
I think that the available prop sizes and pitches are limited
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

There is NO problem at all. I had a 1997 MayCraft brand new with a Brand New 1997 Evinrude Ocean Pro 200 on it, that I got a discount on because "they" got a discount on the engine.

Had zero effect on anything. I worked that engine hard for about 7 years, before buying a new engine only after 2200 hrs and 2 rebuilds on it.

If you can save thousands all the better in my opinion.

Never had to change a prop. It was great straight from new, for the whole 7 years, for me.
J.D.

Re: counter rotating engine

Post by J.D. »

Grayfisher wrote:Can any of you suggest a reason to be worried/concerned--i.e. is there a significant down side to the prop turning the other way on a single engine boat? I suspect the power head is the same, just the lower unit is different, and as in the minority might be more expensive for repair parts.
Aloha.

How difficult would it be to find a prop in a pinch if you need a replacement? Just thinking that finding a right hand prop for an OB is usually easier/quicker than a left hand if/when you need one in a hurry. Probably more so on the big island too. Just a scenario.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic