20' Pacific/BL performance numbers?

General boating discussion
Bullshipper

20' Pacific/BL performance numbers?

Post by Bullshipper »

The 23 gets 5 mpg at cruise. Is the 20 even better?

If anone has any cruise rpms/speed/gph and the same thing for full throttle on the 20 footer I would sure appreciate it.

Thanks
Kelper

Post by Kelper »

My 19' gets 5-6gph at 4k RPM with a Honda 90. (22mph)

I'm going to toss a 130 or 150hp on it this fall though.
Todd
Donator '09

Post by Todd »

Hi bullshipper,We just got a 2006 2025 with a 2008 150 yamaha. Im not sure on its preformance yet but can let you know asap. I can tell you she is very fast 38 mph @4000 rpms .There is a video of us underway in the meet and greet section, Good luck
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Todd what is she turning at WOT , rpms that is ?
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Todd
Donator '09

Post by Todd »

Welder, We have not been able to go any faster because of sea conditions, Cant wait till we can. I will keep you posted. Todd
Bullshipper

Post by Bullshipper »

[quote="Todd"]Hi bullshipper,We just got a 2006 2025 with a 2008 150 yamaha. Im not sure on its preformance yet but can let you know asap. I can tell you she is very fast 38 mph @4000 rpms .There is a video of us underway in the meet and greet section, Good luck[/quote]

Wow!!

A 150 at 4000 rpms will usually burn about 7 gallons per hours, so you are easily getting +5 mpg loaded in seas.

A light boat, in flat conditions like they normally test them looks like they would beat everyone.
skfmj

Post by skfmj »

Something just does not seem right. The numbers posted on all these boats are amazing. I guess if I wanted fuel economy I should not have purchased the Pacific 23 WA5. So far the what I have gotten out of my boat is around 3 mpg. The number of 3 is based upon GPS milage and gallons consumed on the Honda Fuel management gauge over a day's worth of running to Catalina. That milage number accounts for differing sea conditions, running speeds and idling over ~89 miles traveled. I guess the additional windage and weight of a WA5 reduces the milage from 5 to 3 mpg.
Richard
Pacific 23 WA5
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Richard,
What hole is you motor on? This matters too. Many ofd the Pacific's I've seen have the motor mounted way to low. Also where are you at WOT RPM wise?
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Richard , we get our killer mpg at 3 to 4000 rpms on clean water , yes it drops with rough seas [ going up and down waves adds distance ] .

The most I have burnt in a day , 14 hours and never shut the motor off, is 30 gallons and we ran 34 miles out.

Ya got to find the happy spot and take your time.

When I bought my boat from Kenny at Tradewinds [ NEW ] we put 60 gallons in her [ put the fuel gage at 5/8's of a tank ] and I then proceded to put 18.9 hours on her in 3 days , loaded her up and came bact to Texas with a 1/4 tank.

Daddy'O and Farmer Jane can vouch for the fuel burn.

SLOW DOWN , :D
Lester,
skfmj

Post by skfmj »

AT,

Here are the basics. Pacific 23 WA5, with 30" Transom with a Honda 225 30" shaft. Current Prop is SS 3 x 14.75 x 18 pitch. Trade-winds drilled the mounting bolts 2" from the top of the transom and mounted the motor as low as it would go. To me it was too low. The fan spray off the motor was such that I could not get the motor to stop the fanning unless I was trimmed all the way out. I have convinced TW to move it up one notch and am considering moving it up one more. As I eyeball the motor to keel line the Anti-ventilation plate is about 0.5" above the keel line. I still get some engine fanning at mid trim. Before I moved it up a notch with the current prop I was getting RPM 4900 - 5000 ~ 38 - 40 mph WOT. Moving up one
notch I get about 5050 WOT about the same speed. I can tell you that Kenny at TW does not think this to be too bad.
Richard
Pacific 23 WA5
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

What is the max RPM for the motor? You want to be as close to that as possible. I would raise it a hole and see what the RPM's do. If you are all the way down that doesn't sound correct........just my 2 cents, but not 100% sure

I've noticed that because of the way these boat.s ride you can become a bit more aggressive with your mounting configuration
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

The max RPM [ rev limiter ] is 6250 rpm's , should be able to hit 6K with a full load .

I was running the same prop and getting killer MPG but was only hitting 5300 rpm's trimmed up . Now I have a 14 1/4" X 17 3 blade Honda and am hitting 5800 .

I also am going to raise my motor 1 to 2 holes .

The smaller prop only gives me 1.5 mph more and puts me at 46 MPH, I should pick up the R's a little raising the motor and have less drag.
Lester,
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Skfmj/ Richard hows the sister ship. I think if we start working in tandem. We can find your/mine optimal set up for fuel efficiency. My offer still stands if you want to try out my spare prop and see if that gets you into the 4 mpg. range

Hmmmmmmmmm. Raising my motor 2 pins.

http://media.channelblade.com/boat_grap ... tricks.pdf

Hmmmmmmmmm. Check out "prop chart" from Michigan Wheel pdf. on this site.

http://www.bluewatermarinesvc.com/html/propeller.html

Honda BF225A recommended WOT 5000-6000 rpm.

The prop I am using 14 3/4x17 S.S. Prop. I believe the Honda part number is 58133-ZY3-A17HR I may go to the 15 1/4x 17 S.S. Prop. Honda part number is 58333-ZY3-A17CL

http://www.honda-marine.com/accessories.aspx#

My Wot (wide open throttle) is 5200 rpm and running around 40 mph. The anti ventilation plate is even with the keel. I am getting some fanning and will raise the motor. Though going with the slightly larger prop I will reduce my Rpm...... raising the motor will hopefully bring me back up to 5200 rpm.

I am trying to find the best prop and set up that will run at 4000 rpm and cruise to my fishing holes.

The weather sure has not been conducive for WOT testing on the Limited days I run her. I believe I am the "Typhoid Mary of Weather" I am beggining to think that NOAA weather means NO Ocean Angling Activities weather. That 10 means 20.

One of the last trips was 88.26 miles and to top off the tank took 29.5 gallons....... 2.99 miles per gallon average in snotty seas and 20 mile winds. The bright note was..... I was dry and warm and smoked the fleet coming in.

Mark
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
Bullshipper

Post by Bullshipper »

[quote="mojomizer"]Skfmj/
My Wot (wide open throttle) is 5200 rpm and running around 40 mph. The anti ventilation plate is even with the keel. I am getting some fanning and will raise the motor. Though going with the slightly larger prop I will reduce my Rpm...... raising the motor will hopefully bring me back up to 5200 rpm.

I am trying to find the best prop and set up that will run at 4000 rpm and cruise to my fishing holes.

Mark[/quote]

The antiventilation plate should skim on top of the water at cruise, so its relation to the height to to keel is less important as all boats are loaded and ride differently.

You have to go back to the transom and look at it while running at 5000 rpm to determine if it has to come up or go down.

When we say the 23 is getting 5 mpg, that reading is taken at optimal cruise speeds only.

Iidling around or trolling will subtract efficiency so its not total gps miles travelled divided by gallons to fill back up, the way we are figuring it.
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Thanks for the info......... I guess I am more into how much fuel I burn throughout the fishing day.........Though I am always watching my fuel management systems gauge noting rpm, mph and fuel usage which varies due to sea conditions.

I wish there was a way to try different props..... cheaply and timely.

Actually when trolling (not my favorite fishing activity) increases my fuel efficiency. I wish I could burn 0.17 gallons a hour or approximately 10 miles to the gallon. :lol:

Again thanks for the information I am still learning even at my advanced age.

Mark
Last edited by mojomizer on Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
skfmj

Post by skfmj »

BSer,

I realize that you are only talking about peak fuel economy at 5 mpg, under the best conditions. Even on a good flat water day the best the Honda fuel management shows is a 3.5 mpg. That is a peak number. I have never seen 4 mpg at cruise, and would like to see that number. I don't think the boat will ever post a 5.

One of the reasons why is the WA5 is just a heavier boat. I was surprised at the difference in the sticker load rating by Pacific of the 23 WA5 relative to the 23 Super Top. The 23 WA5 has a load rating of 1400 lbs or 7 persons, while the 23 ST was 2000lb or 10 persons. Was there really 600 lbs of metal added to my boat? I guess it is possible. Add to that the windage of the pilot house and it is easy to see why the WA5 is not as fuel efficient. BTW it could not have been a difference in production years because both of these boats rolled out of the factory at the same time. The were both on the same truck to CA.

Also based upon what you said about the anti-ventilation plate (AVP) just skimming the water, it is clear that the initial set up of my boat was not right. If you are getting water fanning off the top rib above the AVP like I was at all trim angles then you know the engine is mounted too low. Even now at mid to low trim I still fan. That means the AVP is below the water line coming off the stern of the boat.

I will try to post some photos of the current setup next week.

Mark

I am ready to try your spare prop. Good news is I will soon be getting electronics on the boat!!! One more week and I will have a fish finder.
Richard
Pacific 23 WA5
Bullshipper

Post by Bullshipper »

Raising the motor will really help to eliminate drag.

I also supect that welders weight is placed farther back and this difference in balance might help him to trim up the bow for more speed at the same rpms too.

PH's always seem to collect and carry more gear/weight than a CC, so these 3 things would be the major things I would look at before you go to the expense of different props.

Good luck-
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Is this the 1st time I agree with the BS'r ???

I think so :!:

I bet most "cabin'ish" model boats could loose no less than 200 pounds if went on a diet.

:lol: :lol:

Gotta love a plain ole CC.
(and a big garage)
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

skfmj wrote:BSer,

I realize that you are only talking about peak fuel economy at 5 mpg, under the best conditions. Even on a good flat water day the best the Honda fuel management shows is a 3.5 mpg. That is a peak number. I have never seen 4 mpg at cruise, and would like to see that number. I don't think the boat will ever post a 5.

One of the reasons why is the WA5 is just a heavier boat. I was surprised at the difference in the sticker load rating by Pacific of the 23 WA5 relative to the 23 Super Top. The 23 WA5 has a load rating of 1400 lbs or 7 persons, while the 23 ST was 2000lb or 10 persons. Was there really 600 lbs of metal added to my boat? I guess it is possible. Add to that the windage of the pilot house and it is easy to see why the WA5 is not as fuel efficient. BTW it could not have been a difference in production years because both of these boats rolled out of the factory at the same time. The were both on the same truck to CA.

Also based upon what you said about the anti-ventilation plate (AVP) just skimming the water, it is clear that the initial set up of my boat was not right. If you are getting water fanning off the top rib above the AVP like I was at all trim angles then you know the engine is mounted too low. Even now at mid to low trim I still fan. That means the AVP is below the water line coming off the stern of the boat.

I will try to post some photos of the current setup next week.

Mark

I am ready to try your spare prop. Good news is I will soon be getting electronics on the boat!!! One more week and I will have a fish finder.

And the sticker on my dash says 4000 lbs :shock:
Lester,
S L Dave
Donator #1 '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13

Post by S L Dave »

Richard,
Glad to hear that the long awaited supergear is finally on it's
way! I look forward to your review.
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Guys have you checked out this site. Trial run props buy the one that works. Prop calculator. Ken sounds very informative.

https://www2228.ssldomain.com/propgods/ ... sting.aspx

Have fun

Mark
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic