Best Fish Chowdah - evah!

Jay Perrotta
Sponsor/Donator

Best Fish Chowdah - evah!

Post by Jay Perrotta »

As usual - amounts and stuff vary - not an exact science but never fails to get rave reviews from Mainers who know good chowder...

1.5lbs Cod or Haddock (I like Haddock..)
Qt. Light Cream
Salt Pork
Onions (peeled and chopped)
2 Cans Condensed Milk (NOT sweetened condensed milk)
Potatoes (5-6 medium sized, peeled and cubed)
Butter
Salt/Pepper

Cut a good amount of salt pork and put it in the bottom of a big soup pot and put the heat on medium-low. Take some time and let the pieces reduce and produce the fat. When reduced add 1/2 stick of butter and chopped onions. Raise heat to medium (don't burn the butter!) and cook onions until "clear".

While clarifying onions put the fish in a microwave safe bowl and JUST cover with water. Put in microwave on HIGH for 8-9 minutes.

When onions are clear and the fish is done in the microwave remove the fish from the bowl and put the water that the fish was zapped in into the soup pot with the onions, butter and salt pork. (keep fish aside) Add cubed potatoes to the water in the soup pot and bring to a boil for 15 minutes.

When potatoes are done or nearly so add the fish back into the water in the pot. Open and add the two cans of condensed milk (This makes the cooking water that is now infused with good fish essence back into milk). Add as much or as little of the light cream to the chowder as seems necessary to get your own fish/potato:milk/cream ratio.

This recipe is in no way low-fat or healthy. Do NOT let your guests see you make it (as with all chowders it is even better if you make it the day before you'll be serving it. Chill overnight. Re-heat).

If the microwave offends anyone's sensibilities than you can do the fish/water part on the stovetop.

I made an extra large portion of this for a family who had a large number of relatives coming to town for a funeral and more people were talking about the chowder than the poor deceased!

Rules:

1) No publishing this!
2) NO skim milk, no 2% milk, no whole milk - light cream!
3) Lotsa butter
4) Don't skip the salt pork (although you can leave the pieces big and remove before serving)
5) When re-heating stir occasionally and do NOT cover or boil.

Buon appetito!
Jay Perrotta
Koniec12

Re: Best Fish Chowdah - evah!

Post by Koniec12 »

Tried to cook this. I don't know if it went well but I liked it:)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic