Net Skiff Build

netman

Re: Net Skiff Build

Post by netman »

Kevin, my season is winding down. I will be ready to get some ink on the paper very soon. Thanks for your patience, Randy
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by kmorin »

Randy, I'm not in any hurry, I'm working on a skiff myself (not a net skiff) and enjoying the shop time quite a bit. As long as I can melt the Miracle Metal together I'm content- when I can do that in a skiff build, well it's a good thing.

let me know when I should get the next few steps posted and I'll get them ready to go?

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
kmorin
netman

Post by netman »

Thanks Kevin. I will get the drawing done and then post it for you to view. Our fishing is winding down quick. Randy
Yofish
Donator '20

Post by Yofish »

Lordy, recently I've had the pleasure of having some discourse with K. Morin on several topics. I find myself giving him the hat tip quite often. What a generous resource this man is! I read this series and could only feel good, and, amazed.
kmorin

Post by kmorin »

Yofish, this is a fine site to talk aluminum boats, that's what is done here, no green or red or blue welding power supply issues, just " Let's weld aluminum boats."

No distractions with plastic boats, dead plant boats, or that dark-side "magnetic" metal boats, just the right metal boats.

We'd sure welcome a quick look at your latest skiff, I have a couple questions about your design decisions I'd like to ask, and the work and hull form are exactly what is of interest here. Also some of the members may be interested in a 'pre-cut kit' at some point? since you have the design worked out? What's wrong with some show and tell, and maybe some commerce?

Welcome to AAB.com where there is only one boat building material (and its) the best.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
(90 miles N. of your shop)
kmorin
downline

Post by downline »

Kevin what is the advantage of a full displacement hull. They have a deep draft and are slow. I happen to like some of the designes like Kadey Krogan , but the fact that they are all so slow seems like a real detractor. D
kmorin

Post by kmorin »

Downline,
displacement boats are like the freight trucks of the water, their primary reason is to haul lots with little (relatively) power. Most of us are focused on planing skiffs with high RPM engines but heavy crank, slower turning engines are well suited, with big props, to move heavy loads for much less money per tonne than we move our skiffs.

We use gallons per hour and if we go fast we use lots of gallons per hour, but even mega tankers use less energy to move their loads in relationship to the displacement and tonnage.

So this entire class of hull is where money and operational expense is more important than the time factor of getting somewhere in a few hours. Work boats of countless types gain from going slow, (don't get on the water; stay down in it) and haul their loads for pennies compared to our dollars per minute skiffs.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic