Whoops! Sorry, wrong photo

Post by Chaps »

Whoops! Sorry, wrong photo

1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
dave
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by dave »

The little one is cute. I couldn't afford to even start the engines on the big one. For a day of fishing, the fish would coat $2000/lb.
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Where is that big cat going and what is it used for ?
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
warthog5

Post by warthog5 »

The little one is cute. :)

I bet it was someones attempt at a small project to get their feet wet in the building process before moving onto building a full size boat.
"Just 'cause it's New, doesn't mean it's worth a Damn."
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Very cool.....I'll take TWO! Of the small ones I mean.
Jay Perrotta
Sponsor/Donator

Post by Jay Perrotta »

The little one reminds me of the very small boats they use in the NW to move logs.

Crazy stuff. These little, teeney boats go ramming around up against these huge log flows and bang them and buck them and move them.

The little boats end up in all sorts of weird angles. Leaning oner, up at the bow, dug in bow.

I've never found out who build the darn things... Chaps? Ruggit?
Jay Perrotta
ruggit

Post by ruggit »

They have used tugs of various sizes to move logs here on the lake for a long time. The tugs here are really old beat up steel. I will try to see if there is a builder name on one if I get over to the docks today. I keep my boat over there during the winter.

They are almost to the end of that era here. The mills were on prime waterfront property, and now they have been replaced by housing.

Lafferty got bought out by Foss, and now that operation is owned by a company called North Idaho Maritime. They are mostly doing shoreside work now such as dock building, and rock seawalls etc.

It used to be pretty pictuesque around here. The trains would dump the logs into the south end of the lake, and the small tugs would form them into smaller rafts, and then the small rafts would get combined into a larger one and get towed and nuzzled up to the north end of the lake where the mills were.

Remember your old Lionel train set? Looked like that, and dumped like that. Right into the water.
Armstrong 29 with Yamaha F350
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

blacklabmarine wrote:The little one reminds me of the very small boats they use in the NW to move logs.

Crazy stuff. These little, teeney boats go ramming around up against these huge log flows and bang them and buck them and move them.

The little boats end up in all sorts of weird angles. Leaning oner, up at the bow, dug in bow.

I've never found out who build the darn things... Chaps? Ruggit?
Jay, those little tugs are called "log broncs" and they are always steel. A 19' bronc like this one might typically have a 300 hp diesel and will weigh in at 22,000 lbs! They have been built by many different shipyards all over the PacNW. They can push anything, some of them swing 36" props!

1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
ruggit

Post by ruggit »

Looked at a few tugs yesterday, and saw no builder names. They are pretty traditional looking log and work tugs made of steel, similar to, but a little bigger than the photo Chaps posted. They looked old and beat up 35 years ago when I first saw them. Wish I was as talented as Chaps about taking and posting photos.

The trip to the marina was worthwhile for me though. A bunch of snow had slid off the boathouse roof and onto my bracket/swimstep and froze. I had to get a small planting shovel and clean off a couple hundred pounds of icy snow. Hope I didn't nick any fuel lines or cables. We've had significant snow lately, and the weight of the snow actually sank a couple of houseboats over at another marina.

Rocky, our 4 year old golden retriever tried to chase a shovel full of snow out on to the ice behind the boat and broke through. Scared the crap out of him and me. He had trouble getting his front feet out from under the ice, and started to move away from me. I was able to bust a little ice between him and me, he turned around and I grabbed him and hauled his overwide 100 lb body up on the dock. Luckily my overwide body stayed on the dock, and my back stayed together for the haulout.
dave
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by dave »

Chaps

For a 19 foot boat, that thing is really a beast. Thanks for the picture.
Daddy'O

Post by Daddy'O »

Really great information there guys!

Thanks for the history lesson. :)

Wayne
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

I am still trying to comprehend using a 3 foot diameter prop! Wow! That is some serious torque!

Hey Ruggit. I would love to see some pics of your 29' Armstrong, both int/ext. What kind of numbers are you getting with the F350?

Thanks
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
ruggit

Post by ruggit »

Spoiled One

Haven't run the boat enough to really know fuel consumption yet. Expecting about 2mpg. Sea trials got us about 37kts top speed with about 675 lbs of humans on board, and a fairly light fuel load. I expected over 40 mph when we planned out the boat, so we are on the low side of what I was shooting for.

They used my boat as one of the official boats during the Hydroplane races in Port Angeles last fall before I picked it up, and I guess someone on it liked it well enough to want to build a duplicate.

I was admiring your new Glaciercraft. Looks very similar to the Armstrongs.

I am not real computer savvy, so will probably have to wait for a simpler way to post photos.
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

ruggit,

In fact Armstrong used to build the hulls for the first few GC's. The hull design has evolved and it is all done in house now. It really is quite simple to post picts.

1 open up a photobucket account from photobucket.com(it's free)
2 upload your photos
3 simply cut & paste the IMG code into your post

Try it. It really is not that tough.
or you can e-mail me pics and I will post them for you.

Send me a PM if you would like too.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
Daddy'O

Post by Daddy'O »

ruggit,

Spoiled one is correct, it's easy to post pictures.

See if the instructions I posted in the "Welcome New Members" forum in the "Posting pictures using photobucket" post helps any.

Wayne
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

Daddy'O wrote:ruggit,

Spoiled one is correct, it's easy to post pictures.

See if the instructions I posted in the "Welcome New Members" forum in the "Posting pictures using photobucket" post helps any.

Wayne
Much better than my instructions. Missed that sticky Daddy O. Well done.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
Desert Dog

Post by Desert Dog »

Those log broncs are amazing. You'd be surprised how far they extend down into the water. We found a couple that were stuck in the mud and abandoned at a mill that we were cleaning up and it almost tipped a big crane trying to lift them out.

Definitely part of a bygone era in the Pacific NW.

DDog
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic