Electronic Horse Power

Truck and Trailer discussion
welder
Site Admin

Electronic Horse Power

Post by welder »

I upped the HP on my Cummins from the 40HP economy to the 70 HP towing mode , let's just say it's all in the right foot now :shock: and if I up it to the 100HP setting I'll start hunting some Hot Rod cars just to have fun with them :mrgreen:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Deno

Re: Electronic Horse Power

Post by Deno »

Nice!!! I love mine too :thumbsup:
I've been told I need a life...I tell them hunting and fishing is my life...They tell me thats what they mean....
21ftcc
Donator '09

Post by 21ftcc »

Welder,

now you wonder what else car makers are holding back on...
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

I got a Smarty JR..with Lance and Raider all up I still can give those little buzzbombs with the coffee can mufflers a good run. I have it set at 100 and don't see any smoke and there is no noticeable difference in mileage...BUT the drive-ability is terrific. In fact I think the mileage is better as I am not putting my foot in it unless I want to or need to. Also I have 245 70R 19.5's and that gave me about 150 revs lower for the same speed due to the increased tire circumference...no acceleration change that I can tell as the torque of these Cummins's comes on so soon. Last dyno showed T = 600 ft# at 1350 all the way to 2900 before a drop off...could that be my driving range! :grin: I am really happy with the Smarty JR. Capt PJ
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Pjay, sounds like you have a HUGE sweet spot for a power band. :thumbsup:

I had the 100HP program in there and the back end makes LOTS of smoke from the tires and the tail pipe so for now I think I'll stay with the 70.

With the 70 I get a little smoke on Hard acceleration , it lets you know it's a Diesel :mrgreen: Don't forget I'm 2 wheel drive and a 6 speed manual.
Lester,
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

Lester, Sometimes I wish I had a 6 speed. Yep being a dually and auto with a 2004 5.9 it sure is sweet! No issues yet with 105K. I added a BD Torque Converter and Valve Body...4" exhaust with a see thru Donaldson muffler,Cold air intake using the OEM box with 4" intake in front of front wheel behind bumper, standard OEM filter going in at bottom of the box, plus I changed all the air hoses to blue silicon...oh so smooth the air flow... added trans temp, pyro and boost in pod on dash...everything helped with a noticable improvement in the seat of your pants...high capacity pan on trans and heat dispating diff cover with syn oil in diff and trans. Use good old organic oil in engine...new filter everytime...makes a Cummins Run! Capt PJ
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Pjay, well done on the Mods, Looks like you about have it covered.

:joecool:

How is your front brake system holding up ?
Lester,
Occams Razor

Post by Occams Razor »

Welder/Les

I don't know how much you have done to your little B series Diesel. Not sure if you are a Diesel tech or not either. However with diesels two thing always go together ( Fuel & Air ) . You can chip the diesels and let them go fuel fuel and max turbo pressure on demand but they will do the same under sever load with the cruise on also. Nearly all electronic diesels are able to do this. If you really want it come alive you need to up the primary feed to the injectors , add injestors capable of more flow and a turbo and exaust to supply and flow that volume. Just be carefull how much you push yours with the stock injectors. Most kits on the market will only allow a safe level of performance though.
The B series Cummins is capable of some pretty impressive numbers.
I have many years exsperience with the bigger 855 cummins (older engines) With full mods as ceramic coated piston tops, up to 200 psi primary feed in the PT system , Huge flow injectors and twin turbos we have been able to get 1200 HP and 2400 Ft LBs of torque out of 855 cubic inches ! Mid western mountin hauler loved them but it a pricey adventure and very few trannies and axles can take those numbers reliably without a well trained driver.
Have fun with yours.....
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

Razor, That is impressive, I have seen a 1998 Dodge at the Dyno days in Enaclaw crank out 700HP, black smoke everywhere the fans couldn't keep up. If I was going to do anything else, I do injectors next only mild ones about 60HP...as the weak link is the auto tranny. But the way she runs now, I got a new boat to spend money on. :grin:

Les, front brakes I am on my second set...did them at 77K. Put on OEM pads at that time at a local shop. I have 105K now. She does have a nice sweet spot and she'll pull for a long time before down shifting, if you ease the throttle and punch tow/haul button she goes out of OD and keeps on cruising at about 1250 she down shifts to gain back some revs. It is fun...on the open highway I can cruise at 70 about 1775 to 1825 revs close as I can tell at 60/63 she sits at 1500. Your rig has the bigger Cummins, right? Capt PJ
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

Wow! My window just rattled...the wind and temp change predicted just happened to was 88 about 10 minutes ago it is now 72 and the SW is 15 to 20...sure glad I am not out on one of the cruise tonight with those SKipperliners...the cool air feels good! Capt PJ
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Pjay, yes I have a '07 , 325 HP and 600+ ft lbs of torque stock bought it new 11 months ago on the 1st day out of a 3 week fishing trip .
I'm running the Smarty Jr. 40/70/100 HP with pod's . Bob Wagner say it will run on a stock motor/exhaust with no problem and will NOT leave a foot print in the ECM .It also runs lower exhaust temps by 200 to 300 degrees , so far I'm very impressed with it.

Occams Razor, there is a guy on the , www.cumminsforum.com that has a Gen 1 motor [ 12 valve ] with 1200HP and 1800+ foot pounds of torque and of course to get there were talking better head bolts bigger turbo or twins and a few more bells and whistles .
It did take me a month or two to get use to driving a diesel with a standard tranny , shift points and clutch usage [ due to the diesel power band ] .
I run about 63 mph at 2000 RPM's with the 245/17's , next set of tires will be 265's and that will drop my RPM's by 200+ and that will put me at 1950+- rpm's at 70 mph.
I'm getting 23+ on the highway now at 65MPH empty and with the bigger/taller tires I hope to break 25MPG. The only other mod is I have taken the muff off but still have the cat , my whole pipe is 4" factory.

With the muffler off I feel like there is less turbo lag , probably due to les back pressure.

Wont say she is fast BUUUUT she gets there REAL QUICK :mrgreen:
Lester,
Lucky Louie
Contributor

Post by Lucky Louie »

I have the Smarty Jr., Proguard-7 air filter and stage-II air box with a completely different exhaust system which has 5" from the turbo to the muffler which has one 5" inlet and two 4" outlets (One outlet to each side behind the rear wheels) on my 2006 2500 4X4 5.9. Also a three Gage pillar pod with gages for Trans. temp, exhaust gas temp and boost pressure to keep an eye on things.

The exhaust system I have is neat as it breathes, but does not have that "6 cyl. DRONE" you hear from most of the trucks with the 5" exhaust systems.

It scoots pretty good and will break both rear tires loose EASILY. :roll: (Proof in front of Daddy-O's house :twisted: )

Also don't have exhaust gas temp problems even towin "Katrina" (The boat) even with the Smarty Jr. set on the 100HP setting.

I like the "Electronic Horsepower" in my little truck. :cool:
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

Don't want to hijack this thread but here's one that I have been thinking about..anyone doing this? Or if it should be a thread on its own tell me and I'll get it started.

Has anyone installed a throttle cable to maintain throttle setting and not speed? Another forum I am on has a big discussion going and the stated opinions are improve MPG and no tranny shifts from the cruise control system. Capt PJ
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

[quote="Lucky Louie"]I .

The exhaust system I have is neat as it breathes, but does not have that "6 cyl. DRONE" you hear from most of the trucks with the 5" exhaust systems. [quote]

After changing to 4" and the Donaldson muffler i have the drone as well...I just turn up the radio around town and out on the highway it is left behind...I can hear the turbo(stock) with the freeer flowing exhaust and changed out air intake hoses (silicone) no baffels and tight turns) Capt PJImageImageImage
Cold air intake into the bottom of the stock filter boxImage
Cold air intake opening behind the bumper...little compressor is a self contained air horn one each side behind bumper down it does the job! (looking up)Image :lol:
Capt PJ
Lucky Louie
Contributor

Post by Lucky Louie »

Neat mod on the air box PJ. :thumbsup:

When I changed out the air box, the new one does not have the baffles and a lot better ducting to the turbo. It also takes air from between the headlight and the radiator/intercooler.

The exhaust drone is one thing I made it clear to the friend that was going to order the system that I did NOT want. So he said the one I was getting definitely would not do. HE was RIGHT! (Ask Welder, he has ridden in my truck and heard it drive by him on the interstate) But for the life of me I can't remember the name of the company that makes it.... But I DO remember it is a company in Canada..

The next project is the transmission. Mine is a five speed auto. Mike at "Hot Rod Diesels" in La Marque, TX built one for a friend of mine. (Curtis) Curtis dyno's a bit over 500 hp at the rear wheels. He has been hammering the trans Mike built for a couple years now and it is still hanging in there as good as when it was built. Oh yea, Curtis runs the mid 12's in the quarter mile with his truck. :shock: Like I said he HAMMERS it REGULARLY....

But it is gonna cost me right at 5K for Mike to build it. Soooooooooooo I gotta save up enough "Stash money" to cover it.
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Guys , I have driven Lucky Louie's Truck and left a little rubber on the pavement [ Sorry Don but it was FUN ] His tires are not stock and have a fairly agressive tred on them , well, They did when I frist test drove it .

Don , get the name of your exhaust for the gang. Guys , Dons 5.9 is the 1st truck I have heard that does not have the drone . His 5" goes to dual 4" and it sounds smooth and with MR SMARTY JR. it now BLOWS COAL on both aft corners :clap:
Lester,
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

Lucky Louie, I was going to go to a whole tranny, but decide to just do the TC and VB from BD...it has done me well, the shifts are clean and crisp and there was an increase of power to the deck and an improvemnt in RPMs being a little lower for the same speed. Good luck saving up the coin! I'd like to know more about the exhaust, too! THX Capt PJ
Lucky Louie
Contributor

Post by Lucky Louie »

I'll have to give Paul a call and see what the brand name or company name for the exhaust system is...

I thought about just changing some of the components of the tanny system . But I figured it would be best overall to do it as a one shot deal. Ya know , billet input shaft and all..... Well and add to it I have 103,000 miles on my little Dodge. (Original transmission) With the mods. I figure I am on borrowed time with the transmission as it is now....
Lucky Louie
Contributor

Post by Lucky Louie »

welder wrote:Guys , I have driven Lucky Louie's Truck and left a little rubber on the pavement [ Sorry Don but it was FUN ] His tires are not stock and have a fairly agressive tred on them , well, They did when I frist test drove it .

Don , get the name of your exhaust for the gang. Guys , Dons 5.9 is the 1st truck I have heard that does not have the drone . His 5" goes to dual 4" and it sounds smooth and with MR SMARTY JR. it now BLOWS COAL on both aft corners :clap:

Okey Dokey, the name of the company is "Flow Pro" . The system I have on my truck is toward the bottom of the page I linked to. The 4" Dual System which is 5" turbo to muffler and dual 4" out each side behind the wheels.

I got mine thru Paul at "Complete Performance" . I have known Paul since he was about 16 years old. (It doesn't seem like that was long ago either) Hard workin fella that opened his own shop in a relatively small town after graduating Collage just plugin along tryin to build something. If any of ya actually call him or e-mail him just tell up Don sent ya. I don't get anything for a recommendation either. Just tryin to get yall hooked up to a "Straight shooter" if ya are looking for stuff for your tow vehicles.

Don
Daddy'O

Post by Daddy'O »

Flo-Pro is top notch. I’m running a 4” TBE (turbo back exhaust) on my 2008 6.7l & it fit like a glove. I’m not running a muffler & get a drone @ 65 MPH, but hardly any drone @ 70 MPH.

BTW Lucky, those marks are still on the road. Farmerjane thought John boy did them. LOL!

Wayne
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

I know a guy that helped install the Flo-Pro on Daddy'O's truck and he aint kidding ya .........It fit better than Socks on a Rooster.

And was reel easy to install. Heck, it looks like FACTORY EQUIPMENT. :thumbsup:
Lester,
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic