Trailer Tires

Truck and Trailer discussion
welder
Site Admin

Trailer Tires

Post by welder »

What tires are you guys running ?

I'm looking at buying 5 new ones . I have about 15K miles on the trailer and lost two this last trip to Florida [ one going and one coming ] .

This is not a Tire Bash as I beat the snot out of tires , just wondering what y'all are running.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
pjay9

Re: Trailer Tires

Post by pjay9 »

My new trailer has the GY Marathon seem to track nice and good looking tread design like it will handle rain well and not get too slippery when the surge comes on. MY old trailer used what ever brand Discount (America's) Tire sold...gt lots of miles and they seemed stable. As you probably know don't use a car tire it is not designed for that use! Capt PJ
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
21ftcc
Donator '09

Post by 21ftcc »

Make sure the tires are "ST" also make sure your not over loading them. If the tires are Goodyear Marathon Radial they are known to have sidewall blow outs. Also you could look at increasing the ply of the tire too.

* PJ I didn't read your post, until after I posted noticed your running GY Marathon's. The commercial tire guy I go to for all the heavy equipment tires, said GY put out a again another "silent" recall on the tires and he won't sell them anymore.
Occams Razor

Post by Occams Razor »

Welder:

I have a close relationship with a very large quality private franchise. They sell all top quality makes as well as lower priced makes. I took one of the managers out with me fishing one Sat. He saw the tires one my Shorelander traier and about had a heart attact ! He what the hell are you doing with radials on this trailer ! I told him it came rite from the factory that way. He told me (now these are factory trained tire people) that I should not have radials on the trailer period !
I told him I thought that myself but I figured the trailer people knew what they were doing. He told me absolutely not. He told me why do you think they still make bias ply tires ! They don't use them an cars or trucks any longer do they ! I said I know your rite so I guess it is for the trailer market. Yep he said ! He explained that bias ply tires work fare better on trailers due to their tracking ability. Also a good D or E load range bias ply will roll easier than the side wall flexing radials (fuel mileage). I don't tow my gig very far 1/4 mile so I decided to keep them on for the time being but I will change them out to bias plies in the future when its time. Anyhow I just thought that may help your decision.
Last edited by Occams Razor on Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
21ftcc
Donator '09

Post by 21ftcc »

Like ocean razor said bias ply tires would be better since this type tires have better sidewall blow out protection due to there flexing. However bias tires have bad rolling resistance and a hop effect when the tires are cold or are in a cold environment.

Radial tires have low roll resistance and have better traction at high speeds, plus better steering control.

SO, when using a daily driver radial tires and the best. But if its a trailer or an off road vehicle then bias tires are the way to go as long as your going far.
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

I have Bias ply on my 16' Flatbed Trailer , 700 15's and I like the way it pulls when loaded . The tires take 60 or 65 PSI and don't squat when loaded but the trailer does bounce more when empty.

I pulled the 16 back from Florida with two complete V6 Detroit's [ super charged ] and I liked the way it pulled and tracked .

We will look at some BP Tires in the D or E load range . anybody have any brand names ?
Lester,
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

Come to think of it the old trailer had BP tires in 510x13...it was only a 16' boat...I wore them out and had no issues otherwise...I am going to go to my GY guy and ask some pointed questions...thx for making me think back...also Trailer tires are made to sit for long stretches of time and not get flat spots. The Marathons have ST on them. Capt PJ
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
IN2DEEP
WON Super Star Donator '08, '09, '10, '11

Post by IN2DEEP »

Hey, If this isn't too late, I have a friend that tows his 25' FG Skipjack up north (800 miles round trip) a couple times a year and he has gone through several sets of tires over the years.
His last set of tires was highly recommended by a good friend and Baja trailer boater. They were Tow-masters. Started a trip with a brand new set and after the trip was completed, they were half worn away! :shock:
His latest set of tires are Goodyear Workhorses. He's been running them for a few years now and feels that so far they are the best wearing tires he's ever had.
BTW, I have these same tires on my four year old trailer and they are holding up well (no sidewall cracking and wearing good) I did have to flip flop the wheels to help even out some "cupping" wear on the outer edges (It did help)
We both inflate the tires to the max. rec. pressures
These are being installed by Trailrite Trailers as OEM.
Mine are "E" rated on a 16.5" rim on a single axle trailer.
His is a tandem trailer

Let us know which tire you end up with
1989 22' Walkaround Cuddy Bayrunner
2001 115 Merc. 4 stroke/1988 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke kicker
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Have not made up my mind yet on the tires but I'm leaning towards Bias Ply in the D range.

Pros / Cons ?
Lester,
21ftcc
Donator '09

Post by 21ftcc »

Welder,

Not to throw a wrench in to the gears, but what are your axle's rated for in lbs? and what is your boat weight fully loaded, fuel gear, and any extras?

Trying to work this out right and not see your put over rated tires on the trailer and throw money away. My feeling is I hope all the weight is not close to the axle weight rating also.
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I told ya I was getting all new for my boat trailer......I'm sitting here with the Jack ready and one tire that's bubbled and leaking with the jack under it, tire iron ready........JUST NEED THE FEDEX GUY TO SHOW UP!

I delayed my charter till tomarrow so I could make it to the boat ramp.

here's what I hope to be installing in a few minutes or hours:
http://www.sturdybuiltonline.com/ST2057 ... l_p_6.html
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

21, I have 3500lb axles and my entire rig weighs in at 5800lbs with 3/4 tank of fuel [ weighed at cert. scales last year ] and I tow 1000 mile round trips and longer.

And I can tell ya this ............." If you want boy babies DON'T drive on LA. HWY's cuz they will knock the nuts off of anything.
Lester,
21ftcc
Donator '09

Post by 21ftcc »

ok so with two axles 3500 each = 7000 total - 5800 = 1200 under max load.
3500 axle / 2 = 1750 This is what the tire should be able to carry for a load.
Here are two tires that meet the needs. If you go with high rating tires never a problem just don't blow an extra $100 for one with a higher rating.

ST205/75D-14" Trailer Tire, L.R. 'C'
STOCK #: 1350081
Std. Equiv. F78 x 14
Load Range: C (6-ply)
Max. Capacity: 1760 lbs. each
Overall Diameter: 26.3"
Maximum PSI: 50 lbs.
K550 series LOADSTAR brand trailer tire

STOCK #: 1604020
Load Range: C (6-ply rating)
Max. Capacity: 1870 lbs. each
Overall Diameter: 26.3"
Maximum PSI: 50 lbs.
CARLISLE USA TRAIL® Series Trailer Tire
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

welder wrote:And I can tell ya this ............." If you want boy babies DON'T drive on LA. HWY's cuz they will knock the nuts off of anything.

It's because they're all built on spongy land I'd figure nearer the coast....spend alot of time under water, and sometimes ya just have bigger fish to fry than making the roads ride like a rolls royce.

Just figgering thats what the problem is.

I'll take them roads if I can catch & keep 25 trout a day and what is it.......5 redbass a day too?
Holy smokes!

I'd have no reason to "subsistance fish" all winter if I could shop like that!!

C'C'C'mon..... :thumbsup:
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

I have those Carlisles on her now .

I did buy a new draw bar Tuesday to help level the trailer out [ Picked the tounge up about 2" this may help with the tire problem as more load was on the front axle and that lets the rear bounce more [ Read, work the snott out of the side walls ] Remember I am running a new truck and have to line everything up again.

I would like to get a 8 ply tire though.
Lester,
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic