Double Ended Beach Launching Trailer

Truck and Trailer discussion
amfboats
Sponsor

Double Ended Beach Launching Trailer

Post by amfboats »

Here is a trailer we recently built to go under the AMF 750 QRV we built. They need to beach launch the boat on pretty firm sand, they also want to drive the boat off bow first and retrieve bow first. The boat only just fits in the shed so it had to have the draw bar folding. As it is a dedicated rescue vessel the need for towing any distance wasn't required and we had height and width restrictions so the trailer has solid axles. The draw bar is removed by pulling two pins and the castor wheels allow the draw bar to be towed to the other end of the trailer and re positioned and pinned.
welderbob
Donator ,15

Re: Double Ended Beach Launching Trailer

Post by welderbob »

Its all about meeting the customers needs GREAT JOB!. Its good to see people think outside the box

Bob :clap: :clap:
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I feel sick when I see ya'lls trailers......because I can't afford to have you guys build me one, and ship it to my house.

-and I don't even need a double-ender, either!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Way COOL :beer:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
SNOOT

Post by SNOOT »

That is one of the most creative trailers I have seen.. Nice boat as well.
keith

Post by keith »

Your trailers are amazing Bevan. What alloy are they made out of, 6061-T6?
amfboats
Sponsor

Post by amfboats »

Thanks guys , Keith they are mostly made from plate so all 5083 but all extrusions are 6061
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

Pretty when they are new. But age has its beauty too. Question how much does the tongue weigh? How difficult is it to switch it around?
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
amfboats
Sponsor

Post by amfboats »

Hi Goatram

Sorry slow reply on this one! I am not sore on tongue weight now but not a lot as you can see the boat and trailer sit level, as we had to make sure the boat sat smack in the middle of the trailer in each direction. They are literally towing the boat 20-30 meters with a tractor till they hit the beach. The Coastguard unit have a crew of four, and while one drives the draw bar around the other end of the trailer two other will lift the draw bar into place and pin it. certainly not easy one man job, but it is simple and functional.
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

Better late than never. A neet design that I have never seen done before. Thanks for answering.
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

I just sitting her e thinking about the design and how it fits a very specific situation! Then you told us that the CG has a crew of four to do the job...that furthered my thoughts that for a private user it would be awkward as mentioned above. So my thoughts led to even deeper thinking and some simple drawings on a scratchpad.

How about this...have tongue that would slide fore and aft to make it either ended and folding support members the formed a "V" or triangle affair to support the tongue when pushed thru. The tongue slide tube could be the backbone of the trailer for the keel to rest on. The wheels and suspension could be independent no axle across...the folding supports could be interchangeable end to end and much more easily accommodated by a two man team or even a lone person. OPPS! Maybe I should send a patent request.

Good looking trailer and marvelous work...love your trailers ditto what Jetty says! Capt PJ
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
21ftcc
Donator '09

Post by 21ftcc »

No need to have it slide back and forth. Just have two tongues that slide out on either end. Slide one in, slide the other out.
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

21ftcc wrote:No need to have it slide back and forth. Just have two tongues that slide out on either end. Slide one in, slide the other out.
THAT TOO!! Good thinking! Capt PJ
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
amfboats
Sponsor

Post by amfboats »

There were a few other design restrictions, like the trailer is un-sprung as solely a beach launching trailer, so the trailer frame is mounted on the axle to also keep the height down, it goes into the shed with about an inch or two to spare. Length wise the boat pretty much has no spare room with the draw bar up in vertical position. Width for storage was also marginal.

Storage is a problem that faces a lot of coastguard units, because they are often positioned beach front, other properties behind wont allow adequate extension to be made to existing buildings.

As a beach launching trailer you also need some clearance for sand and drift wood etc, it also needs to be able to be backed into the surf. So to build lower than the axle is also a problem.

As the boat leaves the trailer it can drop off the end if not deep enough, so you don't want anything off the back the jet unit to foul on.

Another concern we had with sliding drawbars is having any flex in the frame alloy on alloy could bind and also sand between the two plates could also cause a big problem.

Here are the images of the trailer and boat being put through its paces.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/amfboats/s ... 899989386/

Here is an interesting video of RIB launch bow first trailer with a tractor http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsGD2QWFryo these trailers are amazing so are their tractors. the trailer is set up with water tanks the engines are running as the boat hits the water.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic