Beam for casual towing?

Truck and Trailer discussion
CanCanCase

Beam for casual towing?

Post by CanCanCase »

Silly rookie question.... Being accustomed to big boats that require a travelift to remove from the water, I find myself lacking knowledge when it comes to towing.... What's the widest dimension that can be towed inter/intrastate here in the good ol' USA? Most of the "trailerable" boats I'm looking at feature an 8' to 9'6" beam.... But then there's the Rock Salt 34 that's got me drooling... With its 10' beam. I realize trailer dimensions and configuration will also come into play, but what's the max beam I'm looking at to legally tow (primarily OR, but West coast and nationwide on occasion) without special permits, wide load signs, etc...???

- Case
M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Charleston, OR
Boating is not a matter of life and death. It's much more important than that!
MacCTD

Re: Beam for casual towing?

Post by MacCTD »

Legally I am pretty sure you are limited to 8'6" but I think you are pretty safe with anything under 9' 6". I have a Northcoast 24' that has a 9' 3" beam and I have never had a problem or worry about being stopped for being over 8' 6"
'05 Pacific 1925
Mercury 150
S L Dave
Donator #1 '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13

Post by S L Dave »

I think Mac has it right. Permits for wide load of 10 feet shouldn't be too tough to get. Hopefully Jay will chime in a. I am sure he knows the rules and can tell you the procedure of towing that boat.
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
21ftcc
Donator '09

Post by 21ftcc »

Jay Perrotta
Sponsor/Donator

Post by Jay Perrotta »

Thanks, 21ftcc - great answer!

I've towed the RS34 from Texas to Miami to Maine to Virginia to Maine to Pompano Beach (on the water from Pompano to Virginia Beach by H20) and then, finally to Cocodrie, LA - lots of miles.

Getting permits is much easier than it seems and isn't expensive - it is an extra step, though. Of particular fear for me, now, is tunnels - The Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel was scary (its about 19' wide!) and road construction with close Jersey barriers are also a bit daunting...

This is my first 10' boat and the first time I've towed a 10' wide load - I'm very comfortable now with it - a pretty short learning curve.
1.jpg
1.jpg (85.2 KiB) Viewed 5576 times
Jay Perrotta
Shark Bait
Donator 08, 11, 15, 17

Post by Shark Bait »

Here in Alaska:

Up to 8' 6" no permit required

Over 8' 6" to 10' 6" Permit required, pilot car not required, some holiday restrictions by location

Over 10' 6" Permit and pilot car required.

The Dream Catcher is 10' wide (built for the old no pilot car limits) and it tows wonderfully even on small two lane roads without shoulders.

SB
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic