No new Diesels for me....

Truck and Trailer discussion
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

No new Diesels for me....

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Specially a Ford. Even though I have never owned any truck but a Ford.

My neighbor has a 2005 F-250 diesel truck. And he said his employer a big construction outfit will not be buying any more diesel trucks for the crews any more.

He said as of 2011, that there's gonna be a seperate tank to hold an additive???? I said, "well count my azz out."
If I'm buying expensive diesel already I'm not buying additive too.

Here's a quote I found on another web site:

The new 6.7-liter Ford V-8 uses urea selective catalytic reduction to reduce nitrogen oxide emissions. While this requires periodic refills at around $2.69 a gallon (pump price at Pilot truck stops), it also offers a big benefit to fuel economy because the truck can run a leaner fuel/air mixture than other NOx reduction solutions — like Chrysler's and Cummins' urea-free NOx trap — because diesel fuel isn't required to regenerate the catalyst.

Good bad or whatever I'll stick to older 2 year old trucks when I go looking for new. Let someone else pay for all that up front show room new smell.

HUH...compacted graphite iron?

".....The larger 6.7-liter engine is a clean-sheet, all-Ford design that produces 390 horsepower and 735 pound-feet of torque. The deep-skirted V8 block is made of compacted graphite iron, which Ford claims is about two times stronger than traditional cast iron, all the better to reliably handle that elephantine torque."

Unlike the six-cylinder Dodge/Cummins diesel, the Power Stroke uses a urea-injection exhaust after treatment to help meet new diesel emissions standards. Ford engineers told us that their system gave them greater flexibility to tune their engine for leaner running. Ford felt the economy vs. maintenance trade-off (having to refill the five gallons of Diesel Exhaust Fluid at every oil change) was worth it.
I hate having to change....
Occams Razor

Re: No knew Diesels for me....

Post by Occams Razor »

Hi All !

Jetty is correct ! The new ford 6.7L diesel is basically a ground up new engine. Common rail design with piezo electronic

electronic injectors. This bosch injection design provides the ability to do multiple injections per power stroke and do so

very quietly. To be honest I am on the see saw about this Urea post exhuast treatment. I know first hand everyone is having

trouble with particulate filters and this will just be another thing to go wrong, however it will take the place of the NOX

converter. We will have to see........I for one would not recommend buying the first run of these powerplants. I have

great confidence in the injection system. It takes a whole bunch of complexity out of the system that the 6.4L had but now

we have a whole new Y block design and duel turbo(in one housing) exhuasting to the center of the engine and intake on the

outside of the engine (new thinking and makes sense now being alot easier to work on). The engine is well thought out ...

Its the EPA that is going to cause issues with all their required bul**** ! Anyone thinking about it , just hold off .......the

place I work for runs 160 of these fords with diesels and I see the gammet of issues. We will be taking in the new 6.7L

engines in our future order and if anyone can brake something these guys will find what will brake soon with the truckes

running 24/7 ! Oh all new transmission too ! to top things off (like we need another issue AKA EO4D ) and the diesel will

not be availble with a standard trans or in a E series van :shocked: Guess the bean counters did not think us folks that

like to keep things simple should be interested.
21ftcc
Donator '09

Post by 21ftcc »

Oh that's the stuff in your pee. Helps make the emissions better.
SNOOT

Post by SNOOT »

As long as I can keep getting parts for my 93 dodge I am sticking with it.. :beer:
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

YEP..... not buying any thing that needs another tank too be filled with some other expensive "stuff".

I believe FORD will find out real quick like the public isn't gonna buy in to the scheme either.

I heard if that additive tank is dry...you ain't going no where!!!! Don't know if that's true or not.

But goooood bye Ford F-250 diesel dream truck.

It was nice that you were the #1 Trucks in America. Guess it's time to be a Willy weekender, Homer home maker, and think little F-150 2 door, and a "Jettywolf designed tiller model Pacific 19'" and down size next time around.
Daddy'O

Post by Daddy'O »

IDK – in my opinion - Ford’s method for meeting emission regulations is better than what Dodge engineered. Dodge’s NOX filter, DPF, and the dreaded EGR cause nothing but exhaust & intake restrictions, restrictions which literally kill the MPGs….and that stupid EGR will cause nothing but major headaches for owners & service technicians in the long run. I’ve heard, but have not confirmed GM & eventually Dodge will be using the urea method for emission control.

Jetty – you’re right. Running the new Ford 6.7l without urea will cause a low power mode (limp mode).

Not to worry – in time someone will defeat the system…….just like they did with the emissions on the Dodge 6.7l. Don't ask me how I know.

Give me a 5.9 Cummins or a 7.3 Powerstroke any day. I really don’t have an opinion on GM’s Duramax – never owned one. But I would stick with a pre-emission model if I was going to purchase one. Heck, I would have to ………have you seen the MSRP’s on the new trucks lately? I refuse to give that much money for a truck. Now a 1970 Pontiac Trans Am – maybe.

Wayne
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

Occams Razor

Post by Occams Razor »

Hi All !

Well all this crap (EGR,Particulate traps,Urea injection,ect) you can thank all the tree huggers for this ****.

You know what I say .......you want to stop polution......then go do something about all them idiots cutting down

rain forest. Grow more trees and woods and steralize the human race or at least those that do nothing but suck society

dry generation after generation.

Oh all the moroons think green electric cars are going to change everything......well at 40 Grand and another 10 grand

for a 440 fast charging station at home I don't think many are going to go for it. Oh that is just half the story ....where they

gonna get all the KWs from to charge the damn things ? Maybe another coal fired power plant ? That is green rite.....

Come on ....please will someone slap the living *** out of these idiots. Diesel Hybrid is the way to go period ! Unrivaled

milage, relyability and for the amount of fuel used to the unbelievable milage they are capable of they have to lowest Carbon

production know to transportation. Train been doing it for decades so its not new school either......We need a new

government and that is all that is too it ! :sarge:
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Was in Advanced Auto yesterday, picking up oil and a filter for my truck and saw the $7.80 gallon of new additive for those New 2011 Ford diesels.

We shouldn't as normal motorists have to do anything. The manufactures should. Billy-bob fisherman needing to pull his already ethanol choked boat/engine to the water shouldn't have to put more out just to get some pulling power.

That's my opinion.

No new Ford for me, can't afford to buy one anyhow. I'm trying to buy a spare Honda 225, so I can stay in business.
waterdog247
Donator '10, '12, '13

Post by waterdog247 »

As long as I can keep my '01 GMC 2500HD Duramax running like she is, I will be happy. 210k and she is just getting broke in!
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

Maybe you all are right or maybe your wrong. She is a sweet A$$ truck. Just saying Maybe your wrong. 12 quarts of oil and a filter plus 5 gallons of urea easy enough to do. Buy it by the drum and keep it in your shop :mrgreen:
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Yeah but how do we tell our wifes we NEED a Truck that cost $50,000.00 to $60,000.00 ?

:shocked: :shocked: :shocked:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
goatram

Post by goatram »

Let her drive it and she could be sold on it too. :highfive:
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

goatram wrote:Maybe you all are right or maybe your wrong. She is a sweet A$$ truck. Just saying Maybe your wrong. 12 quarts of oil and a filter plus 5 gallons of urea easy enough to do. Buy it by the drum and keep it in your shop :mrgreen:

What ""bale of weed"" did you find floating in the ocean???? :scuba:

I knew a guy who pulled a 26' Sea-V inboard diesel deep V center console with a rusted out old long hooded Cadillac, with helper springs on the back axle. The caddy was a P.O.S. and was his tow vehicle cause it had a monster V-8 and was 38 foot long and low. Good gawd, yeah I'd love a garage full of extras to go along with my $60,000 pick-up truck.

Remember when Pick-ups came in only a few colors, had am radios and bench seats? And were way cheaper than a decent car?

What the "F", happened?????
Daddy'O

Post by Daddy'O »

What happened?

Women is what happened.

And I mean that in the most respectful way possible - no bashing at all.

Wayne

:popcorn:
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Maybe TEXAS women.

:?: :?:
Daddy'O

Re: No new Diesels for me....

Post by Daddy'O »

IDK?……..maybe it started in Texas but it caught on pretty quick. There are a lot more women driving full sized trucks than you may realize. Take a look around next time you’re out and about.

A Chevy suburban used to be utilitarian too. Not now, actually not for a long time. All of those creature comforts from Minivans & SUVs have somehow migrated over and into our trucks. You can get everything from dual climate controls to automatic butt warm’n and cool’n seats…..in a pickup truck no less. Pure craziness.

I knew we were in trouble when the vanity mirror became standard equipment and a long bed became an option.

Wayne

JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Wayne-O,

Oh... yeah I look. I wanna see who can afford one of those 60K trucks.

The new wave is make expensive electronic crappola and drop it into not so well built trucks. Keeps China folk working. And Americans flat broke and laid off.

That's why I want a Civilian H1 in plain old basic. I drove one and it was cool as hell. Big W said it's diesel was too weak to tow my boat. But then again, I go 5 minutes to the water.

Well, I buying a spare 225 Honda outboard so NOOOOOOOO any kind of truck for me. Not even a 1996 to replace my 1995.
goatram

Post by goatram »

Sorry Jetty I traded in my Ram 05 3500 SRW and Bought the 2011 DRW F350 Lariat. My wife looked at on Sunday and I signed for it that day and Picked it up today. Please wait for pictures, cause it did happen and the last four of the vin is #7028. Smooth Quit and O so Pretty, Dark silver. It even fits in the Shop :mrgreen: I will take a picture of it in there in the morning just for you :banghead:
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

So you now have a truck that costs around 10K more than my last, TWO houses on USA dirt.

Yes, I said TWO houses! Not my present house......remember I'm one of these big timer fishing guides in Florida where we're all so well to do fishing 12 months a year 7 days a week (I wish) So I splurged on this Rancho Delux I'm in now
all 965 sq. feet of it.

So.... give us the scoop on the when the "lil tank" full of the pee-pee water goes empty?
I'm sure we can remember when it was hard to even find a yokal local Ma & Pa gas station that carried diesel. Now I'm told they're gonna carry pee-pee water too?
goatram

Post by goatram »

NAPA Carries it in 1 and 2.5 gal for $5.90 and $11.50. Ford has it a $19.95 for 2.5 gals.
Sorry Dave you get to fish everyday; I get to fix Airplanes. We both live in our own little Paradise or so we think.

As for when it goes empty I heard you "IDLE home" Kinda like running out of gas. Advise, don't let it get there.

I remember when diesel was sold for $.19 to .21 a gallon and gas at Hess was $.27. My old man would yell at my older brother for buying the cheap gas for his beater surfer Van in Dover Del. in in '68

I bought my first two houses for $37,000 each. My daughter just bought her new 1950's house in Kenmore Wa. for $275,000. She will struggle with it for a few years but it will get better. Current house I live in now I bought for $200,000 in 1997. was worth a lot more two years ago. It is regional for house prices. I will pay this truck off and then retire. at 56 yrs old :sarge:
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Daddy'O

Post by Daddy'O »

Jetty – your question is valid – who can afford these trucks? My answer is that many can, but many more can’t. The people who can’t are living outside their means. Dealerships, finance companies, and insurance companies make it far too easy for literally anyone to purchase a vehicle. Especially the one’s who really can’t afford a ‘new’ vehicle in the first place. I guess this is good for the repo man’s business.

You are attempting to live within your means. You ‘want’ a new purdy truck, but you’ve prioritized your needs. I commend you for that. You’re patience will payoff in the long run. But I don’t think it’s fair to make a person feel guilty because they ‘can’ afford a purdy new truck.

I like the H1’s too. I would think there are enough aftermarket tuners to put some life in whichever engine it has. Remember, they’ve made these things for civilian use from 1992 to 2006 so there have been a few different engines - from the 6.2, 6.5, 6.5 turbo, 6.6 turbo diesels, to even a 5.7 gasser. I wouldn’t worry too much about using any of those engines to tow your boat 10 to 12 miles a day.

Back to the original topic of this thread – since I own a 2008 Dodge Cummins with all the emission controls (currently stored in the barn) – I would rather put pee-pee water in it than have to deal with a stupid EGR system.

Let us know how you like that new truck Goatram. I want mileage reports loaded vs. unloaded, etc, etc. Oh yes, we definitely want pictures of the new ride too.

Wayne

:popcorn:

JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Daddy-O,

It was only a "guilt trip" if you're a fisherman with a broke motor. I know some people have great jobs that are steady and goverment approved. We're forced to vote for them, over and over again.

They are my clients. There's just not as many as there used to be, and I need as many as I can get.

Advanced Auto J-ville Fla. pee-pee water was $7.80'ish a gallon. When are the brits and Aussies gonna need some pee-pee water? I guess in 30 years we can just blame them for all the diesel smoke clouds blocking the sun on a otherwise nice day in the sunshine state???? :rotfl: :rotfl:
goatram

Post by goatram »

Dave
I stated that I would post pictures of the new Tin Truck. Been busy at work and The Wife hid her new camera from me. Reason is I have broken that back screen on two of them this year. She ain't to happy right now with me on a couple of fronts if you know what I mean :skillet: :mrgreen:
Attachments
The very pretty truck
The very pretty truck
2011 ford 1.jpg (97.43 KiB) Viewed 10950 times
the belt buckle for a grill
the belt buckle for a grill
2011 ford 2.jpg (96.39 KiB) Viewed 10950 times
sweet and o so pretty Hips on her. Looks like she can kick out some F150 with them don't it
sweet and o so pretty Hips on her. Looks like she can kick out some F150 with them don't it
2011 ford 3.jpg (85.5 KiB) Viewed 10950 times
Blue cap is where the Pee Pee goes
Blue cap is where the Pee Pee goes
2011 ford 4.jpg (62.38 KiB) Viewed 10950 times
cramped compartment. Shoe horned into it is the 6.7L Diesel engine. Dave just walk on it to the local dealer and ask to test drive it.
cramped compartment. Shoe horned into it is the 6.7L Diesel engine. Dave just walk on it to the local dealer and ask to test drive it.
2011 ford 5.jpg (111.93 KiB) Viewed 10950 times
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

John, nice truck and I'll trust you that there is a Engine in there some where .

Your gonna miss the Cummins. :mrgreen:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
goatram

Post by goatram »

I will possibly. But I got a New toy now. I will see give me a few months till the new wheres off
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic