May does $uck a wee bit. :beer:
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
pjay9

Re: ON my way!

Post by pjay9 »

Well, it has been very uneventful on the fishing scene along the FL and AL coast...every place I stopped in at a local Bait and Tackle, they advised not to bother...report was very spotty and few fish being caught and then only by the locals who had all the spots located...so why waste the time and money on a License...I did enjoy just relaxing. The last few days heading toward SEASCHOOL have been very windy...which is normal...was at Dauphin Is, AL yesterday and the wind was out of the west with 2-3' inside Mobil Bay and 3-5 outside. Had a good day at the USS AL battleship and Drum submarine WW2 vintage...both in good shape for being 70 years old...but not seaworhty. Aviation section had some good exhibits as well.

While there I took pictures and would like to post them, but since the camera has finally stopped working it will be a while to get them off the CF card as this little PC does not have a card reader and I didn't bring one with me.

I have checked into school paid my fee and found a bunk in the dorm...sitting here in the screened porch enjoying the fresh breeze and 77*. I'll be in class for the next two weeks or so. Wish me LUCK!!! I am going to need it! PJ
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

Wish you luck and Get right the first time!
Will be standing by Capt PJ
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

THX!!!
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Yer welcome to stay here at our place on your way home, if your going back the same way.

Just remember to come in on HWY 377 not the back roads.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

Taking the correct highway was so much different than the backroads...it sure was nice to spend the night at Les's place. Sounds like we exited the area before all the storms hit. The repair on the coupler is holding up well. Thx for the assistance and ideas on doing it better.

BTW, All you out there, Les has a great place to stop by and enjoy. Sits on a hilltop and can see for miles..he even mowed the lawn before we got there. And that old firetruck is going to make a fun project and boat hauler.

I now have access to a camera but the cables are not hooking up to this computer, so still no pics to post, plus I need to figure how to get the video I have taken on this site as well...probably do that when I get back to Tacoma.

Crossing the USA out of Texas has been tough with the wind always on the beam either from the south or north and then there are a few hours each day on the nose...makes the driving rough not to mention the fuel economy sucks!

We stopped in Oklahoma City after leaving Les's and went to the American Banjo Museum...it is a very interesting place...there was a fellow there playing in a room called the Shakey room styled after the pizza place...do any of you remember when they were around and had music... that was when "Pipes and Pizza" was around also?

We did make it to Lake Powell and it is a bit windy here still, but should be doable...this morning I plan to dunk her in and take a ride and have lunch on some secluded beach and explore some canyons. The sun is bright this morning and it still is only 45F at 0730.

It is nice to not have to drive today...plan on sitting still for a few days. With the wind the camper has suffered a small bit of damage...the forward roof hatch is cracked and bent...so had to secure it with gaffers tape...it was getting brittle anyway and I was planning on a rebuild with some good old ALUMINUM and Plexiglas.

The boat canvas has not done well either with some seams coming apart and more chafing...the beam winds really play havoc. There is over 6000 miles on that canvas so I cannot really complain...it has done a great job and after the modifications I have planned it will be even better.

Time for an omelet with some summer sausage that Les bestowed upon us before departure. BTW, if any of you pass thru Coriscanna, TX stop at the Collins Street Bakery and pick up a chocolate pound cake it comes in about 6 pounds and is REAL chocolate thru and thru!

THANKS, Les and Claudia for your hospitality and wonderful food...it was nice to take a shower that lasted more than 5 minutes of hot water...the camper hot tanks are not that big. Thanks again! Capt PJ and Marcie, the First Mate.
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

pjay, your to kind and of course you are WELCOME here ANY time. You know where the Key is.

:beer:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

I found a cable that works...so here are some images from today at Lake Powell, AZ UT area.

This one looks like a giant sail of a red rock submarine.

That opening was only about 15 wide and the depth was 18...as we got further in the depth went to 2 feet and the opening was about 10 feet.

This is a new private lake boat...couldn't get aboard...but asked about the stability..the workers were concerned but didn't know anything...it was still being commissioned...she is about 75 feet and looks just as high...what windage will she carry!

Twin wheels in tunnels with massive skeg for protection.
Note the custon cradle for the bow fitting around the bow thruster.Image

Tour boat getting fresh paint.

It was a great day! We had lunch on a sunny red sand beach, took a nap and then went exploring up Navajo Canyon, those are the pics above. It appears the lake is down about 60 feet which makes everything taller. The water depth was still deep at 400 feet.

The lake being down makes the routes to places a little bit different as it also means the channels between the walls is narrower. This is an interesting place!

Saw loads of fishermen out but it appears they are just wetting the hook and line. OH WELL! Capt PJ

PS Hope to post more tommorrow as we plan to go to the famous stone bridge about 50 miles up lake...we'll see what the weather is in the morning and make a decision then.
goatram

Post by goatram »

Looks nice and warm Capt.
Here the forecast for tonight is the possibility of some Snow down to sea level in the heavier showers. 1000' and higher it will be snow. Mountains are forecast-ed to get 6" to 16" of snow.

Enjoy the weather there.
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

Were's our spring! Opening day is coming soon! I was only 60 air temp here but really nice in the sun. YESSIREE I am enjoying it! Capt PJ
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

This morning the uploading is working with Pbucket. As I indicated in another post we went to Rainbow Bridge yesterday and it was fantastic. the day was in mid 70's and water calm...we were the only folks at the NP. The rangers were on their way out to go help someone who had run out of gas.
On the way there we noticed the 3 stacks from the gen plant near Page AZ...it is a different look to the natural surroundings.

After a short 2/3 mile hike this is the view you can sit and gaze at...amazing and awe inspiring.

In this last image take note of the very small big guy at the base.

We spent about 5 hours travel time both ways with a stop in a nice cove for lunch. The HDS system says the trip was a total of 77 miles but it is around 100 mile...so I am trying to figure out why the big diffence...only thing I can think of is that the system is thinking it is open water and cuts the corners off when the auto waypoint system is in operation...I'll be looking into that. Even converting from miles to NM it still does make sense as 50 miles would be about 43.4 nm. and the HDS shows 38 nm for the trip 1/2 way.

It was such a site to see and I am sure glad I took the time to do this trip on Lake Powell. The wind has started up so we are going to shove off toward Tacoma. Capt PJ
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

Well we made it back to Tacoma on Monday afternoon, all safe and not so sound! The terrific winds we encounter took a toll on the forward hatch of the camper and on the canvas boat cover. I did a patch up on both and they survived the rest of the way. I took the hatch apart and did the measurements for a new well custom made cover. I will get it on Friday afternoon as they are putting a rush on it. I am having it made from welded Starboard...3/8' sides and 1/4' top. The canvas can wait until the weather gets a bit warmer for the guy to work on it outside.

When I reached Ogden, UT I was heading back to the unit and noticed that the hitch stinger was just a few inches from the ground...I had a quick look and didn't see anything apparently wrong other than it was low, so I moved the unit to a parking lot where i would not be disturbed and slid under and started taking things apart. Voila, I the riser I had made was cracking where it inserts to the hitch on the truck...eliminated it and stuck the stinger directly in. It was low but not as low as it was. Made it home and all is good...but I have to come up with a way to get the stinger up...the riser idea is NOT good, yet it made it over 6500 miles in all sorts of bouncy rough roads...just too much...torque being applied with out a sufficient amount of support and the slop contributes to the forces bending all the parts. The Reese Titan is rated well yet it hangs too low.

All of this being low causes the trailer tongue to hit the ground at drive ways and even in uneven roads if an osculation starts, which caused the safety chains to get really scared up and the safety brake cable got messed up and tore cable so it would bite you...so today I replaced all that stuff with heavier chains and small chain for the safety brake making the cable shorter and out of harms way.

Riser note crack at corner joint, it has a liner but still not a good thing to have happening.

Nrew chins and cable with a thimble rather than bare wire cable it will not get tiny broken wires from being bent.

Moved the connection point for the chains up so they will not drag, note the old lower forward hole.

So that fixes that issue...also moved the axel on the trailer 2.75 inches forward to see if that will make a little bit of less tongue down force.

Capt PJ
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

Almost forgot..I installed the aluminum side box today as well.

It is shorter but taller than the old HDPE box and a whole lot lighter...The straps and boot fit nicely along with the wheel chokes. It is even further back than the old unit so that will help as well in distribution of weight.

Capt PJ
goatram

Post by goatram »

Welcome back Capt. Need your Input to stir the place up on a occasion. Some time this place is dead.
Winter is over and as Jetty said it warm all over the country and it is time to fish.
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic