WHY radials??

Truck and Trailer discussion
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

WHY radials??

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Does the extra cost of a radial tire really have a trailer tire lasting that much longer?

(actually on Ebay, the extra cost is shipping to make up for the cheap so called ''Buy It Now'' price.)

Really, ebay has some of the best trailer tire prices around. Found a place that (In Florida) I can get
F78-14 - 205/75/14 Trailer tires (bias ply) for $255 delivered to my house!

I'm not Welder and have to go 400 miles to catch me a Trout. But still my Trailer tires barely last a full two years.

So, again I'm on a deal hunt.

Thoughts?
Chaps
Donator '09

Re: WHY radials??

Post by Chaps »

Why are you only getting 2 years out of a set of tires?
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

THAT'S THE QUESTION.......because they're Bias plies?

Althought I don't "road trip it" to the boat ramp, I still go at least 200 days a year.

Maybe that's why.
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

How are they failing . . . wearing out, going flat, coming apart . . . ???
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Jus' plain worn. Goin' bald.

I had a plug/patch in one done at a Goodyear store, and I can now see the plug wearing thru.

An FYI...

I split with my dad a "Happy Home-maker tire changer kit"

It'll do larger tires to 16"....with muscle.

So on a Sunday at 4pm I can still get on the road Monday morning, no matter what.
And I want to also have some inner tubes handy if need be also. Ya never know, in the motor-cycle world dis-mounting, adding a tube, and even side of the road balancing is something "iron-butt" riders do. Well, me and trailer tires have allot of bad luck together.

How's this....On the tires I have on my trailer right now, I've pulled in the driveway, under the boat port and hear a SSSSSSSSSsssssss sound. I go over to screw off the valve stem cap and see the actual "brass" part of the valve coming loose from the rubber stem!!!

I can understand one time, but how about THREE outa FOUR? Yep, one even blew-out on the way down my road.
I'm real good at getting the bead to pop and add a new valve stem. Before I had a small bead breaker, I'd just back-over the tire with my truck tire.

Get-R-Done, for the next day's fishing.

Now I'll have more tools to do even more, if need be.

I was just wondering (originally) if there's PROOF that a radial "ST" Trailer tire wears better than an Nylon belted.
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Dave it's true , when I tow , I tow loooooong distance BUT the towing you do is probably harder on a tire/tires do to the amount of turning you do which is VERY hard on any tire.

The Bias Ply tires are OK for what you do , do to the short trips . Your not going for MPG, smooth ride or worried about suspension.
Steel belted tires usually get replaced every 4 or 5 years IF there are no problems.

Check out , www.tirerack.com
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

W,

Yeah, I have a great deal going where I got my tires I have now and the alloy rims, here in Fla. Tirerack seemed to only deal in those high dollar name brands.

I need the best deal, and I believe your correct. ALLOT of turning, especially into gravel and choppy asphalt parking lots.

Chewin me tires good bye...... :nutkick:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic