New Alloy Trailer

Truck and Trailer discussion
Pelagic Boats

New Alloy Trailer

Post by Pelagic Boats »

Hi All,

Just thought id post some pics of one of new Alloy Trailers. Sorry its not an Ally Boat, Maybe next time.

Sabs28
Donator '11 '12 '13 '14 '15

Re: New Alloy Trailer

Post by Sabs28 »

Nice trailer. Even has the Sens-A-Brake actuator. Cool. :thumbsup: BBIIGG $$ for that actuator over here in the States. Even has a special coupler for the I-beam tounge. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I LIKE IT.......
MacCTD

Post by MacCTD »

Nice looking trailer, anymore pictures of the boat? Hull looks similar to a Bertram 24' Moppie II I had.
'05 Pacific 1925
Mercury 150
Pelagic Boats

Post by Pelagic Boats »

The Hull has US origins, as it is a Formula 233 (Donzi, Cigarette). these hulls are very popular in Oz and have not changed very much at all, off shore game fisherman that have lots of cash love them.
I didn't know the Sensabrake units where sold in the US, we have just started using them again as they used to have a few problems but its all sorted now and would be the best braking unit on the market. what would you pay for on in the States?

these are some pics of what our trailers look like without the boat on them. one thing you will notice is this trailer has a swing out draw bar that we use when beach launching.

Cheers Pelagic.
Sabs28

Post by Sabs28 »

I have a Whole sale account at a trailer parts supply store & the last time I saw them on the price list I believe it was just shy of $900. The next closest one was the Dexter 1600 psi at $475. But heard that Sens-A-Brake was VERY fast actuating the brakes, like .39 seconds to full pressure Fast. How good do they really work??
Pelagic Boats

Post by Pelagic Boats »

$900 US for the whole kit? if so i should be buying them from the States, we buy direct from the manufacture here in Melbourne Australia for more. They are good, really good in fact as it is an Elect over air over Hyd so there is no delay for the pump to build up pressure. they leave the Dexter, Hydrastar and alike for dead, they also do away with the battery and brake away switch.

Cheers Pelagic boats
Sabs28

Post by Sabs28 »

$900 for the pump only. Disc brake kits range from $100 a wheel up to $400 a wheel for all stainless Kodiak kit. Then add brake lines, adapters, fluid, break away kit/ emergency brake kit & of course, the time to do it your self or pay to have some one else do it. I hear the Dexter unit works "good", But not as FAST as the Sens-A-Brake. Plus the Sens-A-Brake only requires a 15 amp circuit & the Dexter requires a 20-30 amp circuit.

Any one else have an "Electric over hydraulic" brake system on their trailer?????

I plan on setting up my next trailer with EOH. Not a big fan of Surge brakes.
Pelagic Boats

Post by Pelagic Boats »

Yeah that sounds about right. the pump & controller retails for around $1400 in AUS, its around $4000 to do a full 4 wheel electric disk brake setup, that is required when towing anything over 2000kg. The Dexter units are very common out here and used by some of the big trailer manufactures. but its all the extra stuff you need to find room for on the draw bar and the extra wiring is the reason we opt for the Sensabrake unit. we also noticed the brakes are applyed a lot smother than the other units, you don't seem to get the pushing and pulling effect.
ehsvp

Post by ehsvp »

Does anyone know how they bend the C channel for the sides?
Pelagic Boats

Post by Pelagic Boats »

Yes I should be able to help you with that as I was the one that built the machine and made the die.
when we first started building these trailers we tried to get a few other companies that specialize in bending large sections to do it for us but non of them where interested. Basically all the machine is, is an oversize pipe bender that i built years ago for building handrails and cow yards for the old man. We decided to to make a die for that section and adapt the pipe bender to handle section sizes that big. it really wasn't that hard to do and works perfect every time. we also anneal the aluminum to make it much easier to bend.

Hope this helps.
Regards Pelagic Boats.
Pelagic Boats

Post by Pelagic Boats »

Here is some pics of a trailer we are currently building for a New 24' Caribbean (23' Bertram) Fly-bridge.
This trailer has keel rollers down the guts and will have multi rollers along the chassis. there is still some teflon skids to be added at every cross member to guide the hull into the middle of the trailer and the V entry at the back will also be teflon covered. Ill keep the pics coming as the job progresses.

Sabs28

Post by Sabs28 »

Perfect explanation on bending the aluminum. :thumbsup: Great looking trailers. :highfive: Keep the pics coming. :beer:

When are you building mine??? HA-HA
Pelagic Boats

Post by Pelagic Boats »

Thanks for the great feed back.
Mate i would love to get one of our trailers into the states but as we are on the high end of the scale with regards to prices and quality and with the way our dollar is at the moment you could probable by 2 or 3 US built trailers. the trailer above retails for around $20,000.00 AUD
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic