Custom Trailer Build

Truck and Trailer discussion
Sabs28
Donator '11 '12 '13 '14 '15

Custom Trailer Build

Post by Sabs28 »

Looking into building a custom boat trailer, Or in other words "building it the way I want from scratch". Going to use Aluminum. My question is what should I use use to build it with??? Angle, Tube, I-beam, Channel??? My friend has his own welding/ fabrication shop, so problem #1 is solved. But what is the best way to build it?? Tube frame rails with channel cross members?? Channel frame & channel cross members?? Will aluminum angle hold up as the main frame rails??? I have seen some trailer mfg's on this forum & they all build them differently. Would it come down to preference?? I was thinking using angle for the main frame rails, 6X6X1/2 inch. Bolt the Torflex axles right to the bottom. Also gives me a flat vertical surface to mount fenders & other stuff. I have built a few custom utility trailers out of steel using angle, channel & tubing all on the same trailer. But when aluminum takes place of steel in the case of a trailer, The aluminum has to be thicker to hold the same weight, Correct me if I am wrong. Is there something that I am missing??? Thoughts?? Suggestions?? Sent Pelagic Boats a PM & They responded with what they use for material. But am also curious on what is used over here.

Trailer only needs to hold 6,000#/ 2730kg load Max.

I look at like this. I can buy an aluminum "I-Beam" trailer in my area for $2800. Venture makes the trailer. No Led Lights, bias ply tires & the cross members are galvanized. Sooner or later galvanized trailers will rust. SO what good does an aluminum frame do if the cross members rott after a while?? I have a Shorelander under my Lund, Galavized & it has some small surface rust spots, Trailer is 8 years old. I planed on upgrading the new trailer to electric-over- hydraulic brakes, LED lights, radial tires, ect. I would be buying a trailer & taking it apart to modify it the way I want it to be & have all these extra parts laying around. So why not build it my way from the start & get EXACTLY what I want. I have done a basic math to see which was cheaper & ends up being pretty close to the same $$.
Last edited by Sabs28 on Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pjay9

Re: Custom Trailer Build

Post by pjay9 »

When you do that does your state require anything special to be accomplished regarding design and inspection? And how do you get plates for it without a serial number and being a certified manufacturer or WHATEVER?

Not meaning to dampen your spirits! I have wondered about building my own camper someday but I would have started with an approved cargo box for a truck. JMHO!!! Capt PJ
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
welderbob
Donator ,15

Post by welderbob »

Sometimes you have to question, "Why re-invent the wheel"
I just bought a new Venture trailer for my self (We're also a dealer). LED lights are a $29 upgrade. I don't have a price book in front of me ,but you can get electric over hydraulic brakes. The torsion bar axles are galvanized whether you by or build a trailer. On my trailer that leaves two galvanized cross members . I'm sure that radial tires are available for a small up charge.

Aluminum trailer's advantage is weight savings. Be careful about welding an aluminum trailer together. Welding 6000 series aluminum (6061) is not half as strong in the welded area (generalization ) so you going to have over- engineer the whole thing.
Then there 's the liability thing.

I'd be happy to put some more info together. Send me a PM and I get you a great price.

Welderbob
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

Fabricating a new trailer with the bends in Aluminum would be hard. (= Big Machines) The Axles and mounting hardware still needs to be Gal Steel for strength and has Bob said Why reinvent. :deadhorse: The last thing buy it from a dealer and get it fitted to your boat properly. Sounds like you may be traveling to NY. :titanic:
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
Sabs28

Post by Sabs28 »

4 hours & 45 minutes in current traffic conditions from my location in NH to Welderbob. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the input guys. I always like to ask before I just go & do it.

Anyone have any experience with Kodiak disc brakes. I am looking at the ALL STAINLESS kit. BUT, is it GOOD stainless?? Or is it low grade stainless??? Anybody??, Anybody??, Bueller??, Bueller??, Bueller??
MacCTD

Post by MacCTD »

I have Kodiak brakes on my Pacific trailer, seem ok but the actuator is a pain to hook up, it is a weird pivoting deal. Mine has the electronic reverse lockout that requires a 5 wire flat, it also has a mechanical lockout but it does not seem to be very easy to lock in.
'05 Pacific 1925
Mercury 150
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

I have Tiedown Disks and 1989 Chevy Celebrity Calipers. I had tiedowns originally and had to replace them once already and when they went bad again I used the $20 NAPA Calipers instead of ordering new Tiedowns. Bolt on and so far no issues will know next spring if they are still good. Did a Search on The Hull Truth to find the thread about the swap.

Someday I will put the Kodiak Disks on but I might get either a new boat or trailer before I do.
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
Sabs28

Post by Sabs28 »

I heard the Kodiak brakes were good. Have seen mixed results on the Tie-down stuff. Time will tell....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic