Alloy corrosion due to moorage/Bottom paint

Truck and Trailer discussion
Maliburay

Alloy corrosion due to moorage/Bottom paint

Post by Maliburay »

:banghead: Hello, Maliburay here, I'm new to this site so hello. I own a 22" Hewes Searunner HT, ET, and was told in 09 when I got the boat new the bottom should not be painted. Now that the hull has started to show some corrosion ( chine mostly ) I started to ask questions about painting the hull to the mfg. and dealer I'm told if I'm going to moor boat during fishing season it should be painted. I hear through the grape vine the person to talk to is Bob Omacase. I live in Kitsap co. and I hear he does too. Can someone tell me how to contact him? My number is 360-620-8709 and I'm in Keyport. Thanks, Ray
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Re: Alloy corrosion due to moorage/Bottom paint

Post by goatram »

He goes by Chaps Here. I don't know the story behind that handle nor do I really want to know either. He ain't a Biker or a Cowboy that I know of.
Welcome :thumbsup:
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

That handle? Given to me by my old man. I was always doing something that pissed him off and he'd say "that just chaps my BACK SIDE!" (thanks for the edit Les) then later he just started calling me that :thumbsup:
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Sabs28
Donator '11 '12 '13 '14 '15

Post by Sabs28 »

Chaps wrote:That handle? Given to me by my old man. I was always doing something that pissed him off and he'd say "that just chaps my BACK SIDE!" (thanks for the edit Les) then later he just started calling me that :thumbsup:
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Ray and I have touched base and I'm happy to announce that I'll be bottom painting his Hewescraft in the early fall. Thanks Ray!
scornett

Post by scornett »

Chaps, my boat looks just about like yours. I bought a place at Lake Texoma recently. It has dry storage for the boat, but there is also a dock. I left the boat in the water a week once and spent a couple hours washing off the green stuff. Woiuld a paint job protect the thing or do I have to spring for a boat lift?
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

scornett, I live off of HWY 377 North, just 13 miles from the Juniper West boat ramp and Four miles north of Whitesboro, I have 40 acres of open parking here at my house if ya ever need to stash your ride instead of dragging it back and forth.
Attachments
TurkeysinBackYard.jpg
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
scornett

Post by scornett »

Pretty small world, I guess, Welder. Wish I'd known about you a few years ago. I keep it in the barn I bought out by Highport. But thanks. That country sure looks better than it has the last few years and the lake is certainly deeper.
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

scornett wrote:Chaps, my boat looks just about like yours. I bought a place at Lake Texoma recently. It has dry storage for the boat, but there is also a dock. I left the boat in the water a week once and spent a couple hours washing off the green stuff. Woiuld a paint job protect the thing or do I have to spring for a boat lift?
As far as protecting the boat is concerned, in fresh water corrosion is not nearly the bogeyman that it is if you are keeping a boat in salt water. I'd put a magnesium anode on the hull and call it good. As far as slime or weed growth is concerned you could bottom paint it with an anti-foul coating but considering you will be keeping it on the hard most of the time I'd just douche it with a strong bleach solution when you pull it out for those times you leave it in long enough for that issue to arise.
scornett

Post by scornett »

Thanks, Chaps. I've fretted over that for a long time. Glad to have found this site.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic