Plastic Bunk Boards??

Truck and Trailer discussion
Sabs28
Donator '11 '12 '13 '14 '15

Plastic Bunk Boards??

Post by Sabs28 »

As most of us know by now pressure treated wood, wet carpet & aluminum boats just don't get along after a while. Has anyone looked into using the plastic decking?? Does it have chemicals in it like pressure treated wood or is it just simply a UV stable plastic?? I talk to some people who like the carpet because the boat stays put on the trailer when you load it, which is helpful if you are alone. Others like the plastic covers so the boat slides easier. Was wondering if anyone has ever looked into it??? :popcorn:
Chaps
Donator '09

Re: Plastic Bunk Boards??

Post by Chaps »

I've seen people replace wood bunks with plastic deck boards, they sag terribly between the supports so not a good option. Plastic bunk covers are the way to go (or rollers)
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Sabs28
Donator '11 '12 '13 '14 '15

Post by Sabs28 »

I noticed the plastic decking sags more than the wood. I personally would double up on the plastic boards, bolt them together ect. I converted my trailer to rollers, on some ramps that are steep the boat rolls back off unless you keep the outboard throttled up or have someone to hook the bow eye for you. Pro's & cons to both systems.
John@Ironwood

Post by John@Ironwood »

We use 3/8" plastic (1/4" radius on the top edge) with SS screws pilot drilled and countersunk into two layers of 2x 6 that are bolted together.

The tail end and any joints in the plastic are bolted through the wood.

Be aware:
The boat will slide around like it is on ice....rollers go front to back but plastic lets the boat go side to side as well.
NormanAr

Post by NormanAr »

John@Iroenweood wrote: Mon May 09, 2016 12:39 pm We use Testo Max a lot with SS screws pilot drilled and countersunk into two layers of 2x 6 that are bolted together.

The tail end and any joints in the plastic are bolted through the wood.
I use the plastic bunk covers and they've done a good job for the past few years.
Last edited by NormanAr on Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:02 am, edited 5 times in total.
3f8
Doator '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17

Post by 3f8 »

Post from an earlier project. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5172
"It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline.
Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."
Hunter S. Thompson
Steve the Brain

Post by Steve the Brain »

Chaps wrote: Fri May 06, 2016 11:24 pm I've seen people replace wood bunks with plastic deck boards, they sag terribly between the supports so not a good option. Plastic bunk covers are the way to go (or rollers)
the weight of the vessel on rollers will streth and ding the alunim so the hull isn't smooth thus reducing speed.

my trailer floats

last week in the GOM the current jammed the trailer inbetween two piledrivers had to push boat back off trailer then push both trailer/boat out from PDs.

I know four tires create floatation maybe plastic bunks would minimize floation.

I have sean large PVC used as bunks
welderbob
Donator ,15

Post by welderbob »

Try www.gatorbak.com .bunk covers.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic