Waterproof LED Trailer Lights

Truck and Trailer discussion
Boston Joe

Waterproof LED Trailer Lights

Post by Boston Joe »

Hi all. I just replaced my trailer lights at the start of the season with a set of LED lights from West Marine. One side is allready half burnt out. Any one know of a fully Waterproof set that will at least last one season? Thanks Joe.
coast2coast

Post by coast2coast »

I think you got a defective set - they should last for years with no problems. I would check with West Marine about their warranty. I've had a set on my Tracker trailer for 3 years with absolutely no problems. I can even leave them plugged in while launching ot retrieving the boat. I got mine from Bass Pro Shops.
Regards,
John
Harbercraft Kingfisher 2725
Tracker Targa 18

AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Boston Joe,

Had the same thing happen. Bring them back and make them eat them. The factory stands behind them 100%. Have your receipt though.........

AT
Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

Food for thought!

I used the West Marine waterproof trailer lights under my gunnel in Amber for cockpit lights, five on ech side and they do a great stealthy job of lighting the cockpit without taking away much of your night vision.

ImageImage"IRONWOODTUNA" the Alloy Sportfisherman Battleship!
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Marty,

That is a good idea!!
welderbob
Donator ,15

Post by welderbob »

West Marine had a recall on there Led trailer light. They made good on two set of mine. It was a little hard to get them in, they were out of stock for a while
warthog5

Post by warthog5 »

Let me say that my favorite LED lights are these Optronics units.

STL-78RK Oval Sealed Surface-Mount LED Stop/Turn/Tail Light Kit
(10 Super Diodes) - 6" polycarbonate housing/lens/flange. Hard-wired. Clam pack.

http://www.optronicsinc.com/trailer3.htm

I have not found a place to buy them local and buy them straight from the manufacture.

I have installed them on several trailers and have had No comeback's. They have been in service for several years. They are epoxy sealed and have 3 wires coming out of them.

I have just done a little work with some lights here.

About 1 1/2 to 2yrs ago I bought a pair of these.

I bought these because of the trailer they were going on. It's galvanized and didn't want to drill other holes to attract rust.

Well after over a year and only 3 times in the water the right hand side one totally failed on both circuits. No it was NOT the wiring!

I still didn't want to drill on the trailer and I called my guy where I got them. Then he tells me they don't use them anymore due to having to replace all of them. DUH! :(

So I had him send me pixs of the new ones they are using. They look in the pixs just like the Optronics units and they did a custom mount so I wouldn't have to drill the trailer so I bought them.

I told them Do NOT hook up any wires. I don't use the trailer frame as the ground path.

So here is what I get.

Note the wire tap's for the side markers. :(

This style Stop/turns require a RED side marker on the tail end of the trailer.
It's the same with the Optronics units.

So I take them apart to repair the #&%#*.

Here you can see where the metal has pierced the insulation. This is a No-No if you want your system to last. Water gets wicked up in the wiring and turns it to CRAP.

NOTE: There are NO trailer manufactures out there that don't use this stuff. Why? Because it fast and it will last a year. Then they don't care.

I do and I just don't have trailer light problems if I stick with good components. My wiring is totally sealed against any water getting in and I run separate ground wires. No grounding to the trailer frame. Bad grounds are 90% of trailer light problems.

So I remove the metal and use liquid elec tape and shrink tubing with the glue to fix the insulation being nicked.

Now note that these Peterson lights are NOT epoxy sealed either. :(

So I used some 5min epoxy to seal them. The Optronics are epoxy sealed.

There are some clear lensed LEDs out there in Stop/Turns and side markers. Don't buy them. They don't show up as well.
Just like the stupid Import car craz with changing them to clear and putting Red lights in them. They are illegal in a lot of states on the cars.

There are some other lights I have a problem with. They have the 2 pin flat plug on them. This is fine on a Truck- Tractor Trailer.

They are not dunking them in saltwater.

All my connection's are either soldered,electric electric tape and heat shrink w/ the glue in it or crimp/shrink connector,electric electric tape and heat shrink w/ the glue in it.

I don't get come backs with doing it this way and the only way I'll do it.

I also want a trailer lite up like a Christmas tree.

That means on the average dual axle trailer it will have 3 amber side markers and 1 Red side marker on each side.

It get's the Optronics Stop/Turns and a center bar light that has the running lights and turn lights in it too.

http://www.ledtrailerlights.com/cm/51-4400.htm

The RED one.

# 3 LEDs
# Shock and vibration proof
# Submersible & weatherproof
# Sonically Sealed polycarbonate lens and housing
# Available in red or amber, with clear or colored lens
# Required for trailers, campers and trucks over 80" in width
# Surface mount

For the whole job I charge about $300 parts and labor.

Some people think that is high. Some don't. If they don't want me to do it as I described above I just tell them I'm not interested in working on their trailer.

The folks that I do work on their trailer are VERY pleased. :)
Last edited by warthog5 on Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Just 'cause it's New, doesn't mean it's worth a Damn."
Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

NICE!!!
ImageImage"IRONWOODTUNA" the Alloy Sportfisherman Battleship!
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

bought some cheap azz ones from Harbor freight that chinese tool store, and they are great, totally epoxy coated. Better than what my Rolls-axle came with.

over a year old and dunked 250 and they are just fine.....comparing my year-round usage compared to New Englanders.

But now I probably Jinxed myself.

Completely sealed in epoxy the only way to go. Open package in store, take lights apart before purchase. Thats what I did.

Screw'em...if they can't take a joke....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic