Truck and Trailer discussion
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Light To Tow

Post by AlloyToy »

JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Unless ya have a wore out 1995 Ford F-250.....I do great till I need to go over 55 MPH.

A long distance trip for me is maybe 30 miles, and then I'm afraid the ole Truck will seek revenge!

And we all know what that means....$$, in repairs.
2 years ago already did the $1,600.00 new Transmission, trick. @ 100K miles worth of towing.

What's that Alloy......a big YOTA?
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

01 Tundra

Love my Toy like I love my 4s outboard All Japanese :D
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Alloy toy, what kind of MPG do ya get with the Toy pulling the 23 ?
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Welder, If I had to guess I would say 9 or 10 mpg. Down the Mass Pike headeing towards Boston at 4:00AM I'm usually running about 70mph.

Never really put a pencil to it. Plenty of power though. Also have a Chevy 2500HD at the shop. I may try pulling it with that this year to compare.
Nat

Post by Nat »

I'm not too happy with my trailer setup. All the weight is on the back end of the trailer and no weight on the tongue.

It rides rough, bucking and bouncing and pulls hard with my Tundra

Do your homework on the trailer, if I needed to pull long distance I would need to do something differant
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Nat , where ya been son.

I'll be in FL. in June for a week or two and we can compare trailers.
Lester,
NUKE

Post by NUKE »

Nat wrote:I'm not too happy with my trailer setup. All the weight is on the back end of the trailer and no weight on the tongue.

It rides rough, bucking and bouncing and pulls hard with my Tundra

Do your homework on the trailer, if I needed to pull long distance I would need to do something differant
have you considered slideing the axels toward the stern . should help with the weight transfer. depending on your hitch setup you might want about 600 or 800 lbs tounge weight .That should straighten out your high speed tows . try 6" at first ,head for a scale and weigh the loaded trailer with the truck ,steering /drive/trailer . drop trailer and weigh again,steer/drive( rear wheels of truck). subtract the truck only weight of drives from weight of whole unit weight at the drive axel = tounge weight . adjust axel location as needed to acheive optimum tounge weight. I never belive that a trailer is delivered set up corectly. just some dummies with speed wrenches assembling as fast as they can. You can do better with a little time and effort.
NUKE
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Nat,

A really good trailer dealer will be able to do all that in a NY minute for ya if he has the correct toolage...a way to pick the boat up off the trailer (a cradle or ceiling straps, some fast wrench hands on the air tools and a tongue scale. The key word is the tongue scale!

I think the rule of thumb is 10% of the trailer/boat/motors overall weight approx. should be the tongue weight.

Where I bought my trailer they charge $50 an hr to adjust a trailer. If you choose not to pay it you can just pick the trailer up and go away. But if you're smart, you'll pay the $50-$100 to have the man do it up right for ya.
I did, and man was it worth it. Versus all the BS I'd have to go thru, myself.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Also the ball height will play a roll in how it trailers. Especially because the Tundra BACK SIDE ends are spongy. Make sure the trailer is quite level when hooked to your truck.

For my trailer (which Codfisher recommended) Steve at East Coast Trailers gave me a ground to ball height of 22 1/2". I couldn't be more happy. Easy on Easy off, 70MPH no sway what so ever.
Nat

Post by Nat »

Hey
welder , i been here checking posts and reading

I'm gonna have to get that trailer tuned up....dumb me thought I was stuck with it like it is. didn't know you could slide the axles back

also need to raise the bunks about 2 inch so I can trim all the way down on the trailer without the skeg touching ground

which should solve the problem

I'll let ya'll know how it works out and take some pictures

took her to a dealer to get the 20 hour service for a quote of $199.00
she's been gone all week and i'm getting lonely
Shark Bait
Donator 08, 11, 15, 17

Post by Shark Bait »

Nat: What Jetty said "A really good trailer dealer .." is true HOWEVER finding a really good trailer dealer that knows what they are doing is hard to do. Far too many boat dealers think of trailers as an after thought and have no clue how to set a trailer up properly.

Take the time to find someone that really know what they are doing, let him take the time he needs (don't rush him) and then check his work by reweighing the rig and checking the tongue weight. You will be glad you did.

SB
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Nat, I paid 180.00 for my 20 hr. service 2 years ago.
There is alot with it as I got to watch mine , Tradewinds tech. did a great job and explained to me what and WHY he was doing what he was doing.

Your BABY will be home soon. :)
Lester,
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Nat wrote:Hey
took her to a dealer to get the 20 hour service for a quote of $199.00
she's been gone all week and i'm getting lonely

HOLY $#@%#^$^$@$ :!: :!: :!:

Then why is it $395 here in Jacksonville for oil, filter, lower unit, and spark plugs, and a look see at the filters??????

Thank God I did all that _ _ _ _, myself!

It's $95 a hr here, plus shop supplies, and each spark plug is $14.00 and I can get autolites for $6.98, oild for $10., filter for $6, lower unit lube for $7.....$199.00 is at my cost practically with out labor.

This town is a rip off, that's why I avoid all mechanics till I have too.

Just did water pump and two t-stats that cost $569 2 weeks ago.

Nat, ask about that for me. I wouldn't be surprised if they do a 20 hr, for $199, then water pump and 2-Tstats must be $250? or less.
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Jettywolf, the 20 Hr does not include plugs but they do pull and inspect them to make sure all are firing good.
Lester,
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

yeah I was told it was "optional", but still.......$395 - $84 for spark plugs = $311 (versus $199.00??????????????????)

"Here's yer sign".......what a rip!
Nat

Post by Nat »

J.wolf

I'll ask about the water pump and T-stats and let you know, the dealer is in Gulf Shores, al. maybe they want to get off on the right foot with new customers knowing you have a new outboard and hope you keep coming back for years and years

they may give a quote over the phone, if you want to call
Paradise marine, gulf shores , al

it's only 7 1/2 hours drive from jacksonville :lol:

another dealer quoted $289 for the 20 hr in Pcola
Black Spot Boats

Trailer Adjustment

Post by Black Spot Boats »

Nat,
It looks like you might have room to move your winch stand forward a little. This could easily solve your problem.
Good luck.
Merrill S. Johnson
WWW.BlackSpotBoats.com
New England Distributor for Rolls Axle Trailers
WWW.Rollsaxle.com
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic