Transom Saver

Truck and Trailer discussion
Tin Cup
Donator10, 22

Transom Saver

Post by Tin Cup »

Can anyone offer advice on securing/supporting a 140hp johnson while trailering. Is there any reason to not use a 'my wedge' type device vs a traditional transom saver? I'm also planning on using centering clips to keep the motor in a fixed position. Any pitfalls I'm not seeing or better methods out there?

Thanks,

Eric
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

On the cheap......and it all works perfectly:

Two blocks of wood nailed together with slots cut in them to accomadate the area under the motor and on top of the trim positions:

Perfect height, not jacked up in the air, not low to hit anything.

Motor centering...two pieces of PVC 3/4" I think. Slot cut in both and sanded to fit over my steering shaft. It has a lilttle play.
Works good, holds engine centered and up standing tall and proud of its owner!

Cost, an hour or so and crap I had in my garage.

there ya have it.
Tin Cup
Donator10, 22

Post by Tin Cup »

Thats great, thanks for the photos.
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Just as simple as reading your post, walking outside, snapping a few pics, loading them on Photobucket.com, and then posting them here.

I guess it isn't all that simple. Ya have to know what the heck to do. But I'm fast.

I have fellow "boaters" in the ping-pong ballers, that even look at my transom saver project.

It's really because I don't like trailering the 4 minutes to the boat ramp, with the engine up on it's supplied stand, and then hate it when it flops over and puts pressure on the steering shaft.

With Teleflex hydraulic steering, ya have to all you can to protect it, since it's so damn frail.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic