January's almost gone hurray!!!!

JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

January's almost gone hurray!!!!

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I know many of you may think not fishing for a few days isn't all that long........and you're right!
But for me it's still cabin fever, when it's blowing and cold outside. And like buck fever, I get Speckled Trout fever where I just can't wait to get on them again.

Here in Jacksonville Florida, yesterday 1/21 it was gale Force winds and probably 40 degrees.

The nice thing about the southern hemisphere is that the CRAP doesn't last very long.

Today it was 65 at least and calm winds and blue skies.
The barometer said, GO FISHING DAVE!

So I headed out at 10am, because of the tide and Full moon. Perfect! negative tides and lots of water flow in the big St, Johns River.

at least 25 Specks later a Sheepshead and a small Flounder, I was one happy guy. Water surface temps are at about the lowest of the year here at a chilly 55 degrees. Two days ago it was 59, so the high winds and cold had a big effect.

Here's a few pics. I know they ain't Tuna or Halibut, but just as hard to catch if ya ain't in the KNOW. It's not their size but what ya have to know to be successful every day you go fishing for them....

Plus they eat great and I had me a JUMBO plate full of fried Specks and baked beans 30 minutes after I walked in the door. Of course boat cleaning doen't take very long at all...a splash here and there and I'm ready for next trip.

Florida Fog, always means a good fishing day. It's an atmospheric thing. I love a foggy day. This is from the boat ramp looking at the pilot boat heading to a freighter heading to the inlet as the fog starts to roll in at 4pm.

Oh here's one for ya'...... Build it and they will come!
British Columbia had a Elk problem? The hiway now is where the Elk used to migrate through. So they built a bridge for those horny bastards.
HELL MY OWN DOG WON'T WALK ON THE ALUMINUM RAMP AT THE DOCK, BECAUSE SHE'S A REAL "GIRLY" DOG...so who's smarter Elk or a my dog?
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

It's reports like that, that help us New Englanders warn up!!! Looking at the T-ometer it reads 14 degrees, and there is 3" of ice with 8" of snow...

Man!! common Spring!!!!

Good catch Capt. Dave

What's the size limit on the Fluke (flounder) down your way?
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

ALLOY,

Our's are summer and winter Flounder, and it's 12"....that one was 16".
And since I'm not a big time Flounder chaser, I kept it.

And the fillets went........SSSSSSSSSS, in the oil just as good as the Speck fillets.

We have maybe 60 days left of the ultimate in Crap weather around here, and then back into fronts that will be much further apart.

Right now it's every 2-4 days, here comes another wave of cold/rain/or monster wind.

By April 1st, that becomes every 10 days, then in Summer.....well then it's just Tropical storms and hurricanes! That's the really BIG wind.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

LOVE fishing for Summer Flounder!!!!! We get some slabs up here!!!!

We fish em pretty much from Memorial day till Labor Day. My biggest is 10# on a greenie on accident :D

Marty gets a good run of them over his way too, off Montauk

Just cooked some up the other night YUM!!!

Last time I was in the Keys we anchored on a rock pile and loaded up on those sea trout. I brought them in and my guys took every last pack _astards!! :) Traveled all that way and never got to taste them.

Gotta get back down your way.........hopefully soon!! This cold is a killer.
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

My area is home to the largest Florida State Record Flattie, at 20+ pounds.
10's are common, big teens are caught alot. My largest ever was just shy of that, and with out trying I usually catch a whopper each year.
2007 largest was 7.5 on a live shrimp and a cork.

But my forte is T-Rex sized troutz......I just love fishing for them, as you can see. But still hunting my 10 pounder.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

A MONSTER!!!! When was that fish taken?
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I think it was in the mid to late 80's

My area is also home to the Fla State Record Jewfish at 695 #'s, I think.

My Jewfish record is a 7.5 pounder on a fairy wand popping rod, and it kicked my butt in 12 feet of water.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic