11/15 - shallow water "skiffing it"...Alloy versatility.

JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

11/15 - shallow water "skiffing it"...Alloy versatility.

Post by JETTYWOLF »

11/15 - LOVED IT

-And Moose did too!

Had regular customer Moose C. aboard today, for a impromptu TROUT TRACKIN TRIP....I'm liking those. The weather at the dock wasn't Good by no means this morning. The wind was howling, the air was cold and foggy.

And I had NO PLANS at all, of fighting the conditions at the Jetties. Moose loves float-rigging the big rocks, as I do. But no sense fighting Momma Nature......"let's co-habitate, while we search for the Speckley Bastards." The Pilot station flag was at FULL ATTENTION. Which said to me. "Jetties?....no way!"

As soon as Moose boots hit the deck, we were off. My plan was to stay out of the wind and use the "astronomical tide height" to my advantage, today. So we started off, with what I called the SHALLOW WATER FISHING TOUR.

First spot. Not 5 minutes away. But the wind direction was hitting us all wrong. So, we kept moving......

And in the next 5 spots we went too, the boat was in nothing more than 2-4 feet, and we were in Trout all day long! Yes, the water was high enough, that the 26' Jettywolf played "flats skiff", as we anchored up in water less deep than my anchor chain is long.

But that's where they were. Plus it was super pleasant. We were out of the North winds. On slick calm waters, fishing flooded grass edges and submerged shell and sand bars.

Not all the Trout were perfect keepers. But between us both there was no less than 20 caught, in the 14" to 22" range.
Had one Redbass on that broke Moose off. Caught a small pupper Red, along with a 23" Red. And a average Flounder.

All on the float-rig drifting live shrimp along the natural structures.

As the tide turned and headed the other direction finally, we worked a few river spots. And then hit the Croaker hole for some quick bottom fishing with just dead shrimp....."and yep, the B-I-G twelve inch and larger Croaks were still there!"

Along with masses of tiny Mangrove Snappers, which are always a pain in the BACK SIDE. So after a handful of B-I-G Croakers, we packed it in and headed back to the dock for fish cleaning.

It was a fun day, and a different day. I actually enjoy these mega-high tides!! As long as I have one or two people, and we can get real versatile, like today.

NEXT UP:

Starting: Monday-3 people, Tuesday- 2 people, Weds.- one person, Friday-3 people, Saturday-2 people.

Only day left open is Next Sunday.

-reports will be batched together as I can do them.
pjay9

Re: 11/15 - shallow water "skiffing it"...Alloy versatility.

Post by pjay9 »

Glad to see business picking up...when you going to Fuji? :gunner2:
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Re: 11/15 - shallow water "skiffing it"...Alloy versatility.

Post by JETTYWOLF »

FIJI.... :?:

I'm not down on the ole USA as much as that fella sounded. And doubt "island life" is all that EZ.

I could not get a 7' Medium Light Ugly Stik "striper" model rod anywhere in a city of almost a million people.
So there's NO WAY, it would be any easier in Figi. to get a $30 fishing rod.

I'm just wanting to go west a few states.

Already figured, if I lived and fished in Lake Pontchartrain I could "ditch" the two giant grapnel hook anchors, one 12#, the other 25#, and the 500' of rode, for one 12#'er, and 50 feet of rode, tossed into a orange fish basket. (Lake P is like 10-15' deep)

Then I could get a Motor Guide Troller, mounted on the bow, a 101 pound thruster, and drop 3 AGM's to make 26 volts to pull me around with, in the same area I need to carry all that anchoring BS.

Imagine that....a 26' Pacific, with a Bass chair high up on the bow deck, and a trolling motor hanging. I'd be like one of those "bayboaters", but instead looking like it was built by a Terminator-Cyborg :!:

Look out Speckley Trout Bastards.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic