GAWD...how I hate Full & New Moons around here!

JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

In a matter of one week (as per all my video proof) the inlet aka: "jetties" have gone from bustin' gator Trout, to completely invaded with small toothless sharks. I believe, they are called "Dogfish". They eat everything and are carpeting the bottom!!

Left out this morning on a semi foggy morning with Mike & Matt. Worked the float-rigs hard, and came up with one Sheepshead and a few small Speckled Trout. But at the same time, most of our shrimp were eaten off the hooks by ravenous Ring-tailed Porgies. And the seas were seriously "Nautical", where we fished.

Mike and Matt, hung in there. But, for me it was just "S.O.P." for winter jetty fishing. The forecast was for high 70's, and it was a beautiful day, as you'll see as the early fog burned off. Though the swell continued. (BECAUSE OF THE TIDE)

Working with my new camera, the DRIFT HD GHOST action cam mounted on the boat (awesome!!!!!), using the wide angle lens setting. I'm still getting used to it and playing around with it.

The current and lack of bites on the float-rig & live shrimp had me scrambling to find some kind of action. The guys were "spinning reel casters" when fishing themselves. So I said, "Bring a few of your own rods and reels." Even though they were well versed with my baitcasting float rig reels and did great with them.

So we went and did some "jig-n-shrimp" pitching, on the crowded north jetty. Where Matt, feeling not so well with some sea-sickness slammed a 29" Redbass, and we caught a nice pup Black Drum also.

The bites were few and far between from "real targeted species". But the small sharks were killing us. At one point we caught them on every single cast!

We ended up leaving and finishing the day and over 12 DOZEN live shrimp in the bait well, back float-rig fishing for more little sharks and a few Bluefish and a small Trout. With the Redbass (29") a Sheepshead, and the Drum in the fish box.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jXCWM4nHkU
Chaps
Donator '09

Re: GAWD...how I hate Full & New Moons around here!

Post by Chaps »

We usually get the bark shark invasion here in Puget Sound during our summer Chinook/Coho salmon season, big pain if you are a bait fisherman. Ours run bigger than those in your video and they have some nasty spines on their back that will put the hurt on you bad if they stick you (and they will). Plus they totally screw up your gear cause they wind themselves up in your line, etc. Hate 'em. Look familiar?

1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Sabs28
Donator '11 '12 '13 '14 '15

Post by Sabs28 »

I hate it when those who get to fish all year complain to those who don't get to fish all year :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Cheer up Dave, You are in shorts & a T-shirt in the middle of winter & enjoying the water in your boat.

We have those "Dogfish " up here as well. They hang out mid water depth & snag your bait before you can get to the bottom & catch any of the bottom fish. Although I am just glad I hooked something :thumbsup: Other than a lobster trap.
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

How they just showed up in an all out assualt is beyond me. NEVER seen them like this before.

THIS WEEK, TRACKED GREAT WHITES OFF OUR BEACHES IN 10' OF WATER ALSO! one 10 footer and one 16 footer with satalite tags in them both females. The sherriffs Dept had everyone and everything out of the water for a few miles when notified by biologists.

:shocked: they say the 16 footer weighs in a 3200 lbs. :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: That's more than the Jettywolf :?:

CHAPS,

I have caught those offshore over the reefs before. YOU BET :!: Gear ruiner and I even got stabbed in the forearm by one.

These we have INFESTING are harmless, and actually kinda "cute", as they cover their eyes and make a "Dave pleaze don't kill me face"as I unhook them and spiral them to a new zip code.

We're barely having a winter in my book. ALL WEEK, 70-80 degrees. I don't like it. So Sabs, that should bother you, huh?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic