Fishin' fishin' fishin'..12 months a year, the inshore way

JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Fishin' fishin' fishin'..12 months a year, the inshore way

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Been there done that.....is an old saying that usually means. "Don't bother asking, because this is the way I do it now."

And that also applies to me.

I fished several NON ALLOY boats, and always came back to the memories of the first boat that was ever "all mine". A 1970's something Alumacraft 14 footer, with a 15 HP kicker on it that I eventually blew up twice, then put a new 20 merc on it and thought. "this is the badest inshore fishing boat there is".......man was I clueless. But I caught fish, and even trolled for King Mackerel outside the inlet, dragging "popsickles" (frozen cigar minnows) and would cuss all the bigger boats when they got in my way or waked the hell outa me.

I was doing it. And that's all that mattered.

From running up on oysterbeds to harvest big salty singles, to rowing up to "tailing Redfish" in the spartina grass. The boat was great.

But then one day my dad said to me, "man it would be great to go out fishing, and be able to stand up and walk around a bit." and then I got the bigger boat bug.

And then I went onto NON ALLOY boats.

But I never forgot the durablity and ease of ownership that came with that 3 ply thick 70's Alumacraft.

So that is why I went back to my ROOTS. And chose a BlackLab Marine/Pacific 26 footer as my new charter boat. That I felt I deserved after surviving 10 years as a full time fishing guide in an area of Florida that's not known for it's Tourism......if ya ever even heard of Jacksonville before?????? Not many outside Florida have.

Orlando, Tampa, Miami, the Keys. Yeah! Touristo hot spots. Where a big time fishing guide racks in 100K plus easily. And doesn't even have to possess a High School diploma. Just people and fish catching skills.

So, I made the leap. From a paid off 23' center console MayCraft, that I ran for 10 years. Repowered, and trailered 3 times. Revamped from an offshore/inshore fishing boat, to an all out inshore fishing machine.

But, the relality is; Not all customers weigh 150 pounds. the minute your in the yellow pages everyone thinks you're a 55 footer that carries 12 drunk guys out to catch Marlin, and if I didn't say NO, I would be carrying lugage to dogs and cats and babies in cribs, because customers haven't a clue....its a boat, not a SUV.

So when I looked at plate alloy boats, I immediately honed in on thier weight carrying capacities. I'm in the carrying people business, not the fishing business.....fishing actually comes second, in the equation.
And safety is #1 to me. High sides, can take a beating, and floats with the 1200 pound fishing team on board. Were important for me.

Then everything else fell into place; size, design, maintenance free or low maintenance, and that durability issue. People wear the wrong shoes, drop beer bottles, sinkers, so call help me with the anchor and then bang it on the side of the boat........you name it my NON ALLOY boat was an absolute chore to keep pristine. Because re-sale value was always in the back of my mind. I knew this wasn't gonna be the boat I'd die with.

And my BlackLab Marine 26 footer will be the one I die in!
Because my BACK SIDE is in it more than I'm in my truck, garage, or at the bait shop. 3 places I spend alot of time. And that's because It works for me and I love it!

Oh.....and I catch more fish in it than the ole Alumacraft. And it's a nice un-obstructed walk from the bow to the stern, dad loves it too!

Fish, fish, fish.....I smell fish!
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Capt. Dave, Thats one good post keep it up.

Lester
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Daddy'O

Post by Daddy'O »

Capt. Dave,

Great post!

I really don't think you could add much else. You've summed up many of the great features an alloy boat has to offer. No wait, I have one more positve, you don't worry about "hard docks" as much anymore. Do you? :)

Wayne
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

No, but then again my boat doesn't look as good as some "other peoples".

My NYALIC coating is all rubbed!

That may be a cosmetic issue for the future, when I get around to it.
Daddy'O

Post by Daddy'O »

:D

Wayne
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

farmerjane

Post by farmerjane »

Yeah.....but do you LIKE it??? :mrgreen:

:lol: Just kiddin' ya! What's NOT to like!!???
I'm both lucky AND good!
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Dave, thats OK I got my thing rubbed too, it turns a darker gray and thats it .

Just be careful what rubs it. He He LOL :o

Lester
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic