Pescadora

A Place to Show and Tell
Merlin

Pescadora

Post by Merlin »

Here's the rig. 1999 23' Valco Bayrunner CC. I got her last year up in LA. She's powered by a 130 Honda four stroke and holds 120 gallons of fuel in two 60 gallon tanks under the deck. I rigged her with a Raymarine C80 and a Raymarine DS600X fishfinder, I like having separate monitors. Fishing gear is rounded out with 8 rod holders, 12 rocket launchers, 16' pompanette outriggers, and a scoop and a half bait tank. Oh, all the safety gear and a stereo too!

I had to search long and hard to find her. I wanted a 23 footer with the wide 8'6" beam. I also needed to stay light. These hulls are .125 thick to keep weight down - always a trade off, light for lauching and towing but a bit bumpy when the wind is up. For me light is better. We pick our days to run off-shore but I've been fifty out and felt safe. She cruises at 22 - 24kts and will top out at 35kts. She's not thirsty, either - I'm getting 4 - 5 mpg with four guys and all our gear.

You can see the custom launching dolly I had built. We have to launch through the surf and with this rig I can launch bow out to ride over waves. Like I said, for me light is better.

As far as the local catch is concerned, you asked for photos - enjoy!

spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

Nice boat and photos. Seeing the dorado makes me hungry for fish tacos! How aabout some more pics?
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Now that's campin'.....very cool stuff.

That beach launch obviously puts you were the big uns are.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Awesome craft there.......another bullet proof fishing machine!!!!

Please explain those outrigger mounts? Looks custom made?
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Thanks! She works great for me. I live right on the beach just above where you see the boat launch. The fishing is good and the summer and fall months bring us eighty degree water that is as clear as you can imagine.

How is that for a clear shot of a dorado in the water.

The outriggers are standard Pompanette T-top mounts.
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

I love it when they light up like that! They sure are a pretty fish.
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Seeing the wahoo makes me drool thinking fish dinner. Nice pictures. Great Valco Bayrunner. Where's the yellowtail pictures.
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Yellowtail are abundant in this area but they aren't that big. Nothing beats the look on that kid's face, though. You can go out a mile and come back with a dozen or more of these little fellows in less than an hour!

If it's wahoo you like we got 'em. Most of the time you have a run a ways but when I've made the effort I haven't been disappointed. I caught this one last November, quite a toad, but I didn't include the photo because I didn't catch it on my boat. I was barely able to pick it up!

Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

If that is what heaven is like I'm going to start being good from today . . . oh man!
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
warthog5

Post by warthog5 »

Explain how you transfer the boat from the regular trailer to the dolly for launching.
"Just 'cause it's New, doesn't mean it's worth a Damn."
dave
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by dave »

I' like to see that, too. Something like that would be great to have.
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

The boat lives on the dolly. It's pretty simple, the dolly is just a single axle with two short bunks. There is a long extension with a trailer hitch that pins on at the axle. I can trailer the boat back and forth to the beach with the dolly, once I remove the extension I can roll her right into the water and when she is floating we just pull the dolly out from under the stern. The trick is to keep the axle in the sweet spot under the boat so you can easily balance the bow up or down and roll the boat around - I use heavy duty ratchet ties to keep it in place. Retrieval is just the opposite - keep the bow out to sea, shove the dolly under the stern and strap it on, pull her out of the water with a long rope attached to the truck, pin the extension on and trailer her home.

You can see the extension under the boat in this photo.

Here she is without the extension.

Here she is behind the truck.

It's really quite ingenious, you just have to think like an Egyptian. You wouldn't want to trailer down the highway with this rig but it allows me to launch safely even when there is surf because I can launch bow out. I have a third wheel on my trailer but I found driving onto the trailer with following breakers quite difficult and somewhat dangerous. We even used all galvanized metal and added bearing buddies to keep maintenance to a minimum.

If I want to trailer someplace I just retrieve the boat with the highway trailer for the next trip out of town. I've got thirty miles of graded dirt road to go anywhere so I don't go out of town too often with the boat.
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Pretty slick......... Looks like you created your own bit of heaven way down south. Merlin that name fits. That Valco Bayrunner sure looks clean out on that beach. Good post. Keep them coming.
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic