Dream Catcher

A Place to Show and Tell
Shark Bait
Donator 08, 11, 15, 17

Dream Catcher

Post by Shark Bait »

Just a little teaser - Dream Catcher in Seattle.

More to come IF I can get this photo posting down. :lol:

AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

OUTSTANDING!!!!!! Please.....SHOW US MORE!!!!!
Shark Bait
Donator 08, 11, 15, 17

Post by Shark Bait »

OK AlloyToy - One more :lol:

JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I hope that Dream Catcher has better luck with that Hydro-bubble anchor hanging off the bow than I did......got one for free one time, and found it not to my liking. Then gave it away.

What is it about shiney boats? I just love them, no matter what the size, or shape.

Do ya know the make of that fine craft?

I told my travelin' partner (pops) "it looks like Washington is the next place for us to do a Boat Show.

Then over to Marysville "to meet my maker", and then on to Woodland to meet the maker of all my rods, at the G. Loomis plant.

Then maybe catch some river fishing for one of those giant fresh water Troutz......on a float?? Or venture out on a Pacific 29 for some Trolling??

Now that would be a wonderful vacation. But I'd assume a very cold one.

I know Jay can answer this but if one was to travel all the way to Washington from Sunny Fla. to view as many Alloy Boats as possible what show and time of year would that be?

Would a work boat show be best? Or a regular recreational type show?

C'C' mon....... :?: :?:
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Is it the same builder as spoiledone's boat?
Shark Bait
Donator 08, 11, 15, 17

Post by Shark Bait »

AlloyToy wrote:Is it the same builder as spoiledone's boat?
NO! Dream Catcher is an EagleCraft http://www.eaglecraft.bc.ca/ built in Campbell River British columbia.

SB
Shark Bait
Donator 08, 11, 15, 17

Post by Shark Bait »

[quote="JETTYWOLF"]I hope that Dream Catcher has better luck with that Hydro-bubble anchor hanging off the bow than I did......got one for free one time, and found it not to my liking. Then gave it away.

Jetty: Sorry to hear that you had bad luck with the HydroBubble - Hope I do better with this break-away model. I will be operating out of four different ports and will need to anchor in all kinds of bottoms. A number on folks on THT have had good luck with the HB. Once I get her in the water i will give you a report.
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

Nice looking boat. Is it yours? Details?
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
dave
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by dave »

Jetty

You want to go to the Seattle Boat Show. It is near the end of January. It is about 1 1/2 weeks long. We flew up there for the weekend just to go to the show. There was a lot of metal boats in the show. There are also a lot of MFGs in the general area. We will be going again next year and spending a week or so looking and sea trialing. I will be retiring soon, and we are going to be looking for a little boat, around 25 feet, to do some extended cruising and exploring in. We will also be going to the Maine shows.
Bob5292

Post by Bob5292 »

I was talking to Steve Diagle from Eaglecraft at the show and it looks the Dream Catcher had it easy with the trailer. He said they ran a boat down from Cambell River via water to the Seattle Boat Show and it took 8 hours in gale force winds. I wouldn't have enjoyed being on that ride.

Bob
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Shark Bait,

What's the specs?
NUKE

Post by NUKE »

I apoligize, had my thread s confused,DM to DC. does anybody remember Emily Latella?
Last edited by NUKE on Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NUKE
Shark Bait
Donator 08, 11, 15, 17

Post by Shark Bait »

Sorry for the not posting details and answers to questions folks have asked about the Dream Catcher but I have been really, really busy since I got back from Seattle. I should be able to get this done latter today- I have lots to share.

SO - Dream Catcher is our boat and she should be in Eagle River mid -May.

SB
Shark Bait
Donator 08, 11, 15, 17

Dream Catcher - Details as promised

Post by Shark Bait »

Before I get into the details of the Dream Catcher I would like to explain how she came to be. One of the main advantages of a custom aluminum boat is that you can get it just the way you want it – but you really need to decided what you want and need BEFORE you start building.

Most of the aluminum boats here in Alaska are considered fishing boats and most of the larger ones, over 24’ or 26’, are derivatives of commercial fishing boats – utilitarian, single purpose, few amenities. My wife and I wanted a capable and comfortable boat for cruising and exploring as well as fishing – something quite different from the average, single purpose aluminum fishing boat. After many years of looking and being on literally hundreds of aluminum boats, doing a lot of research and touring the manufacturing facilities of at least 6 boat builders in Alaska, Washington and British Columbia I started working with Steve Daigle, the owner of EagleCraft, to design a boat that we THINK will meet our needs – only time will tell if we hit the mark of not. Dream Catcher is not for everyone, she is not the answer to everyone’s boating needs and she is no better or worse than many boats out there – it just happens to be our boat. Now to the main details (she is well equipped and has a lot of bells and whistles):

The boat: 34’ X 10’, twin DF-300s, power steering , 250 Gal of fuel, 8 Gal heater fuel, 50 Gal water, 21 Gal Vac-U-Flush system, 2 engine batteries, 4 house batteries, 30 Amp shore power, 2500 watt inverter, Bennett trim tabs, folding radar arch, dingy davit, Good Automatic Windlass, 1200’ rode, HydroBubble Breakaway anchor

Comm/Nav: Ritchie 741 whisky compass, Garmin 5212, GPS 17 GPS, GMR 18 radar, Furuno FCV 585 sounder with an Airmar SS270W transducer, Furuno ST-01PTB low speed & temp sensor, Furuno RD-30 remote display with Furuno 235 DST-PWE transducer, temp & low speed sensor, Std Hor Matrix GS3000S VHF, Digital antennas, Aquatic DVD/AM/FM radio, TR-1 Gladiator Autopilot

Cabin and Cuddy: Fully insulated with sound dreading panels below the waterline, 36” cabin extension, Wabasco 17,500 BTU diesel heater with three zones - cabin, cuddy and a full width front windshield defogger, fresh water windshield washers on each wiper, propane stove with oven, KAB 515 suspension seats with swivels, custom cuddy bed, 6 gal 110V/ diesel water heater, stand-up head with shower, water filter, custom built 12v 7 Cu Ft refrigerator/Freezer, sliding Diamond Seaglaze door and windows

Cockpit: Inside area - 8’ W X 8’ 7” L, transom door, starboard door, removable fish cleaning station that stores in the Fish Hold hatch, pot davit, transom live well/kill box, transom bait storage, propane & diesel locker, 2 X 10# NON ALLOY propane bottles, 5 box tackle locker, 4 flush mounted rod holders, 2 Scotty Downriggers, pot davit, raw water wash down, fresh water shower. Under the sole of the cockpit is a locking fish hold/wet storage area 5’ long X 8’W, locking dry storage area 4’ long X 8’ wide. Two storage trays under the gunwale on each side with toe holds, Whale Gusher pump for the fish hold pump-out and manual pump for the bilge.

That’s all I can think of for now. Pictures to follow.
Shark Bait
Donator 08, 11, 15, 17

Pictures

Post by Shark Bait »

Here are a few pictures. I have a lot more to include those taken during the build process. If anyone would like to see something specific let me know.

The dash. IMHO 90% of the dashes in boats are an after thought done by people who don't know what they are doing. After flying fighters for many, many years I wanted our dash to have specific instruments layed out in a specific pattern. I developed this dash layout by doing full size drawings - it took many tries to get it all to fit. I gave the drawings to the builder and said "Make it Happen" which he did.

DF 300s

Removable fish Cleaning Station (Sanilite cutting surface to be added after I get the boat))

Fish Hold and Wet Storage - Cleaning table stores in the hatch.

Cabin

Propane and heater fuel locker

Fish Hold and manual bilge pump
Daddy'O

Post by Daddy'O »

Beautiful boat Shark bait!

Simply beautiful.

Wayne
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Looks absolutely beautiful!!!!

I'd like to see some berth photos.....sleeping for 5????

What do you estimate her speed will be with the Zukes?

What does she draw?

Why the pump on the trim tab??? (I think that's where it's mounted)
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Re: Dream Catcher - Details as promised

Post by spoiled one »

Shark Bait wrote: I started working with Steve Daigle, the owner of EagleCraft, to design a boat that we THINK will meet our needs – only time will tell if we hit the mark of not.

You are spot on with that comment! Good looking boat. Will you be going out of Whittier? I look forwrd to seeing it.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
Shark Bait
Donator 08, 11, 15, 17

Post by Shark Bait »

AlloyToy wrote:Looks absolutely beautiful!!!!

I'd like to see some berth photos.....sleeping for 5????

Don't have many right now. You can get 3 in the cuddy and 2 on the dinette which has a 1' extension to increase the width.

What do you estimate her speed will be with the Zukes?
Since she has not been sea trailed I wold not even hazard a guess at this time.

What does she draw?
Don't know yet.

Why the pump on the trim tab??? (I think that's where it's mounted)
Good eye. That is the supply pump (Rule 25D) for the live well/kill box. Steve and I had a lot of discussion about the live well option. He thought I needed it - I said no because you can't use live bait in Alaska. We had a "Failure to Communicate". What he really suggested I use it for is a Kill Box where you put fish to bleed them just after they are caught. I always bleed Salmon and Halibut. Catch a Salmon, cut the gills, put it in the box, the pump is constantly flooding the box with clean, cold sea water (it has a stand pipe in it so the box is almost full of water) so when you go to filet them they are cool and clean. Steve, like all builders, has his likes and dislikes and he hates thru-hull fittings. Because, in his 25+ years of building boats, he has seen a lot of boats sink because of thru-hulls he will only use one when absolutely necessary. He has been using this method for many years - I think it is a rather neat idea.

Shark Bait
Donator 08, 11, 15, 17

Post by Shark Bait »

SO We will primarily be working our of Seward since I have a slip down there. But since she is trailerable, at least I think she will be, I will be going to Whittier on occasion.

We normally go to Valdez for a couple of weeks in August for Silvers. Not sure if I will haul it or drive her this year.
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

Shark Bait wrote:SO We will primarily be working our of Seward since I have a slip down there. But since she is trailerable, at least I think she will be, I will be going to Whittier on occasion.

We normally go to Valdez for a couple of weeks in August for Silvers. Not sure if I will haul it or drive her this year.
I would hesitate to trailer to Valdez. Those frost heaves can really take their toll on the extended transom and trailer. I have personally taken day trips from Whittier to Valdez to troll for sivers in my old boat. Is an easy run. I believe it is about 70 miles to the Narrows from Whittier. Very scenic run, too. You pass some of the best shrimping in the Sound, too. :)

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Are those steps up the port side wall??

That tab pump is a great idea. Keep us posted to how it works out.

Congratulations my man!!!! She is absolutely beautiful.....

Keep the pics coming!!!
Shark Bait
Donator 08, 11, 15, 17

Post by Shark Bait »

AT There are two steps on both the port and starboard sides of the cabin extension - I think this is what you are talking about. Picture during construction. The steps have non-skid on them.

Bob5292

Post by Bob5292 »

I would love to see some more construction PICS if you have them.

Bob
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

great idea with the steps............
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic