Building a Plate Alloy Boat

A Place to Show and Tell
peterbo3
Contributor

Building a Plate Alloy Boat

Post by peterbo3 »

As many of you know, I am having a new boat built. It is close to complete. Pics are on the Burning Reel but if you like I can repost them here if there is interest. :?: :D :shock:
Last edited by peterbo3 on Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,

Pete in Brisbane
Daddy'O

Post by Daddy'O »

Post away Peter! 8)

Wayne
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10

POSTEM! POSTEM! POSTEM!

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

Peterbo3,

Absolutely post everytime you can get a new set of pictures emailed to you from your builder. I know when I was building "XIAO MU JI" It was like being on CRACK! I couldn't wait for my next fix of pictures to arrive. Its the greatest feeling in the world to build a boat, exciting, scarey, fantastic! WHat are you having built, how big, by whom??? Marty
ImageImage"IRONWOODTUNA" the Alloy Sportfisherman Battleship!
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Pete , if you don't have to work tomorro post'em up, there are alot of people that don't know how they go together.

Lester
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Pete , if you don't have to work tomorro post'em up, there are alot of people that don't know how they go together.

Lester
Lester,
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Work shop pix so welcome it's almost why we're here.

Love those pics with the welder laying over the transom!!
NUKE

Post by NUKE »

say Pictures PLEASE>........ :lol:
NUKE
peterbo3
Contributor

Build Pictures

Post by peterbo3 »

This is the construction sequence of a 23' plate alloy half cab fishing boat.
8'3'' beam, 23 deg deadrise, 5mm bottom, 6mm lower transom & 4mm sides. Deck is fully sealed & self-draining with inbuilt buoyancy tanks. Power will be a 175 Suzuki with estimated top end of 40+ knots at WOT with a full load. But only on a flat track.

How it starts. A load of Marine Grade alloy sheets up to 6mm precut on a computer controller laser.

Interior shot of floor framing. The box sections provide great strength & rigidity. This is not my boat as I was not quick enough to get pics before the deck went down.

Transom showing assorted pipes, drains & electrical wiring tubing. The big tubes are 6" plus diameter & are for water ballast. More on them later. 8)

Another transom shot showing internal bracing in OB mount.

Interior shot of hull showing fuel cell in which the fuel tank lives. The idea of the cell is to provide a leakproof enclosure for a 75 US Gal alloy tank whilst preserving the watertight integrity of the deck. The cabin layout is starting to emerge up front.

Interior shot towards stern showing infloor kill tank which allows fish to be killed & bled before going into the icebox. Keeps things clean & the tank has a drain through the transom.

Another stern shot.

Progress............cabin starting to come together.

Side view.

Bow shot.

Bow from a different angle.

Bilge pump & inspection plate.

Transom showing scuppers, steps, live bait tank ,two level bait station & downrigger mount at lower left. Mount is high to allow DR to rotate 360 deg. Top row of holes are bait tank overflow whilst large hole lower down is tank drain. Bait station can be removed when trolling.

Interior starting to come together.

Cab windows are cut.

Bow roller & rope well.

Moving along. Cutouts for steering & instruments are done.

Interior of cabin showing hatch & bunk frames.

Transom showing battery shelf, assorted piping & wire ducts. Kill tank lid is on.

:shock:
Regards,

Pete in Brisbane
peterbo3
Contributor

One for Jettywolf

Post by peterbo3 »

Dave, he isn't laying over the transom but he IS welding. :D :D :D
Regards,

Pete in Brisbane
Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10

GREAT BUILD PETE!

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

Pete,

Great boat, Great build. Bet you can't sleep at night thinking about her getting completed. Its the greatest feeling in the world.

I have a few questions and comments if you don't mind:

1. I like the heavy duty boxed framing but I would have perferred to see them give you a much larger feul cell hold area. Do you fish close and don't have to far to run? 75-gallons doesnt seem like enough fuel for that type of boat. If you don't need it, remember resale value would be more and make the boat more valuable if a buyer is looking to take her offshore on long runs. IMO.

2. I like the idea of Water Ballist, can you give some more details on how it will operate and more pictures of it. I had the choice to have a forward water ballist that would hold 500-pounds of water and be valved controlled where if it is left open the hold dranes while under way then frefills when your drifting or the valve could be closed after the hold filled and then hold the water and weight to run and keep the boat down into a head sea. or close it after running and emptying the hold and then the hold would stay dry. But I opted for 50-extra gallons of fuel and he put a 55-gallon fresh water cell instead, which I removed and put just 12-galons for my shower.

3. I like the height from the deck to gunnels that will keep you in the boat. It looks to be around 30" or so? I also like the material he used and how he wrapped it around. Nice!

4. The large bait/fish board tell me you do a lot of bottom fishing??? And the fish kill hold tells me the bottom fish are short and stubby not long pelegics??? Is that where the ballist water goes???

5. I like the cabin door way, are you putting a door or just a canvas or nylon snap on curtain??

6. She has nice looking sherlines at the bow! It looks like the hardtop windsheilds are at the bottom half and open to the top?

7. It looks like there was a lot of sanding going on. Are you going to paint her completely or just the cabin???

8. If your going to put a Bommar hatch in the cabin top for ventilation, I would recommend the builder make a 1/2" x 2" ring that is welded on place then the Bommar hatch is screwed into it, this will keep the plating from flexing and causing leaks. Look at my web album and you will see how mine was done. http://picasaweb.google.com/martyl.mcmi ... onPictures

9. I love the integrated bow pulpit, looks real heavy duty and professional finish, Sweet! What kinda hatch are you using on the opening there? Where I go I didn't want large breaking waves possibly filling a forward anchor compartment so I opted to go without one. It looks like you must also not need a whole lot of anchor rode for your bottom fishing, what depth are you fishing in and how much rode do you intend on carrying?

10. I know you'll love having that shelf all around the cockpit. I love mine real great for sinker bin storage, etc.

11. I figure your not really doing much if any trolling, with the hand tubing railing along the gunnels, it would be in the way of the reels siting in the gunnel mounted rod holders for me. Again, I would consider the resale value there. OPPPS! I just looked at the picture closer and they don't run all the way forward. Never mind!

12. Where and what type of electronics are you going to have? Dash space looks a little lean.

13. you may want to consider using Rhino Liner which you can buy and roller on on the interior of your cockpit and flooring to really sound deaden the boat and make the decking easier on your feet.

Last question for tonight. What is she costing you to build? US or what type of $$

Pete.....She's reel pretty! ...Real Pretty!

Keep the pictures coming and try to get some sleep, I know its hard.

Tightlines, Marty
peterbo3
Contributor

Post by peterbo3 »

G'Day Marty,
Thanks for your interest. I will try to answer your questions 8) 8) 8) .
1. Fuel capacity. I can fish in 600+feet about 40 min from the ramp. Tank size is more than enough for the intended uses which is mainly bottom
fishing-anchored or drifting. The billfish/tuna/mackeral grounds are even closer.
2. The ballast is super simple. At rest, water floods in. Quickly, as there are air vents/breathers at the front of the tubes which run from the transom to where the forefoot curve starts.. They hold some 500lb of seawater so the deep V roll is virtually eliminated. When the boat is accelerated from rest, they drain instantly. The ballast tubes are totally separate from the sealed underfloor area & are welded to the keel, stringers & crossmembers to provide a very rigid, strong hull.
3. It is a special extrusion that the builder designed.
4.The kill tank drains via a pipe through the transom. We catch snapper to 25 lb. The pelagics will go directly into a long portable cooler.
5. No door or curtain. Brisbane Lat is 27 Deg S & it is warm all the year.
6.Windscreens are half size as we do a lot of night work & eyes work best through plain air. There are front & side clears which will deploy down if it is raining.
7.No paint or clear coat of any type.
8. Hatch base will be reinforced.
9. Will hold 250M of 12mm poly. The well is huge.......the access hole is small.
10. There is never enough storage. There is extra under the bunks, in the seatboxes & a shelf above the bunks.
11.Rod holders are not in yet. Will be able to troll a flatline off each corner, a shotgun off the cabin roof & a long line each side via outriggers. Plus the downrigger is used here for pelagics as well.
12. Furuno 585 & Ray C80 (Dedicated Plotter use) will go on the huge flat area behind the windscreen. Bracket mounted for ease of removal. Icom
504 & AM/FM/ Stereo player flush fitted to left of doorway. All electric components(buss bars, fuses, etc) are BlueSeas & will live in cabin below hyd steering. Switches are all Blue Sea. I am doing all the wiring & electical/electronics install myself with the exception of the engine loom & instruments plus the Volvo QL tabs.
13. Will use marine carpet or open weave rubber matting. Have used it in the past. Cleans easily with the deckwash .
Last answer..................boat, motor & twin axle trailer with elec/hyd brake system-around US$55000. Electronics are extra.
Regards,

Pete in Brisbane
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Pete , GREAT post.

Are there anymore ALLOY guys down there that could find their way here ?
Lester,
Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10

Thanks for the Reply

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

Pete,

When I heard my Blackberry vibrating at 3AM, I figured it was your reply, your probably 12-hours or so opposite in time from us, right?

Thanks for the reply.

1. If your ballist holds 500-pounds of water, how deep and long are they, as I looked at the available pictures I just would have never guessed that much water would be in their. Those large tubes sty open and exposed as we see them under the engine bracket? how long are they or are they just penetrating the hull and into a box section of the hull?

2. What kind of bait are you using down their?

3. I understand the half window, we just get way, way too much dense fog up here in Montauk, not to have a full windshield and the best electronics in duplicate. Many times I cant see the end of the bow, and when you start to fish you instantly are drenched if your rain gear isn't on, its like being in London Fog...

4. Will you be carrying a Life Raft on the roof or in the boat or not? I keep all of my Safety & Emergency just inside the cabin on the port rear bench seat. Open the bench seat door, the life raft, ditch bag, six life preservers, four of the six survival suits and a first aid kit comes straight out and onto the deck. I listed using a P-Touch labeler, "EMERGENCY GEAR" and each item in the compartment, then on the front bench seat compartment I keep the last two survival suits, rain gear bags and dry cloths bags.

5. For your insturments are you talking about your port side vertical dash area to mount them flush, because from the pictures I don't see where on the starboard side they will mount, unless they are going to be gimble mounted, then I understand.

6. Just remember not to use any part of the boat to ground your negative leads, always go to the battery negative.

7. Good answer, NO PAINT, love it!

Sounds like a very fair price for the entire rig. I had my cushions made up by a local cushion company with nice looking durable fabric, you would probably want the standard marine seat cushion material.

If you are going to put radar on her, you may want to consider a folding tower like I did to get the radar up as high as possible and it gives you a place to put hologen lights to shine down on your cockpit.

This year, i am going to put twin forward looking hologen automaotice Mercedes Benz headlights on the top of the tower to illuminate forward as I am running at night. We have lots of Offshore Lobster pots out in our graounds on the way to the Edge. They use a very large poly ball and then around 30-feet away they have a aluminum high flier radar reflector so when I am running at night in 4-6' seas they don't always show between the waves and i have run over them on occasion.

Keep the pixs coming. Thanks! marty
peterbo3
Contributor

Post by peterbo3 »

Hi Marty,
Nearly there with the answers.
1. Ballast tubes run along keel to where forefoot starts to curve up.
2. Squid, pilchards, cut flesh strips, ballyhoo (we call them garfish), slimy mackeral, small tuna (whole or cut) to name but a few. Plus all manner of lures. Not much difference to what I saw on my US trip.
3. Not much fog here. Think FL weather.
4. No raft, no suits. EPIRB & lifejackets & hope a 14' Tiger shark eats the other guy.
5. Sounder & plotter are on the centre line, angled back so the skipper can see them. Bracket mounted for ease of removal.
6. Everything runs off buss bars.
Probably will never fit radar. Our vis is great, even at night. But I drive to the conditions.
Regards,

Pete in Brisbane
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Peter,

Don't take this the wrong way, but no paint job seems out of the norm.
Every Fisher and Bluewater I've seen practically has a mural painted on the side with giant numbers and letters of some sort.

You'll stand out, being with "understated elegance" versus all that color and verbiage on you boat.

I even said to someone once after looking at some of the boats from Aus. that they might be in competition with some of the Tournament "go-fast" boats around here in Florida to North Carolina, because they're all about "flash & advertisments".

Here's what I mean.....
(You won't believe the story behind this boat...it's unreal!)

VERSUS

Is your's a Bluewater or a Fisher??

Either way, ya'll have some different "stuff" going on.

The ballast tubes
The bait table in the stern
The so called "kill-box"
The way the transoms shaped
The deck plate material
The fuel capacity- here it's like most boats are floating fuel cell's.

That Hooters boat, probably holds 500 US gallons!

I like the way the livewell drains go right out the stern...that's different.

Either way, It's a really nice looking fishin machine.

I'm very happy you posted your photos. That's what this sites all about.
Hope you post photos when it's all complete.

Thanks again,
peterbo3
Contributor

Post by peterbo3 »

G'Day Dave,
It is true that most of the Fishers are painted. There are a few, mine included, that have no paint. A flash paint job will cost $5000 up & if people want to spend the $$$, then so be it. My boat was always going to be a fishing rig & fishing rigs get knocked around. Sinkers, hooks,jetties, pylons & pontoons all do their bit to scratch or chip the paint. :shock: :shock: :shock:

There are those in Australia who run big boats with heaps of fuel. But we do not have a SKA comp down here nor do we need to run 50-60 miles to the Gulf Stream or deep water. I can fish in 600' 40 min from the ramp & fuel usage is one of the many factors that determine boat size. I saw the Hooters boat on I-10 in Nov. It & many others were going to Mobile for a comp. Lots of $$$$$$$$ on that road for sure.

Photos will keep appearing as progress is made.
Regards,

Pete in Brisbane
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Thaks for the reply Peter. It's really great to have ya here. Giving us another perspective. Pass us on to the fellow Bule water and Fisher and other Alloyheads in your circle.

I think "silver is beautiful".

By the way... what's a gallon of gas cost there. If you can figure your price into a US gallon & US dollars, approximately??

I'm paying $2.89 to $3.07 now..and am so glad not to be in the offshore fishing business any longer.

I go right now, 2.5 miles to the inlet and 2.5 miles back to the dock for most of my fishing.
peterbo3
Contributor

Post by peterbo3 »

G'Day Dave,
Fuel, converted to a US gallon, is around US$4.35. Not as cheap as in the US but governments here love to impose "sin" taxes. Booze, cigarettes & for some crazy reason, fuel.
Regards,

Pete in Brisbane
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Awesome looking boat!!!! Great job & layout with her.......

Marty lives for this stuff!!! As you can see he's done a fine job on his craft just as you've done!!!! Atta Boy!!! to you custom Alloy builders.

I consider our boats Semi Custom........It's cool too see and know the integrity of the craft.

Question: The water tight chambers..........I notice they are "skip welded" Are they completely water tight, or would you get residual water between chambers?

If so, is there a chance of condensation forming in the chambers?

Once again another great topic & post here at AAB...
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Peter,

we're no long for that $4.00 fuel either.....we're right behind ya brother.

I Kinda can't wait to see what it does to all those jack asses with those Hooters type boats with 1200 HP, and the trucks to pull them.

I know, they'll be bought up by the Arabs, and shipped over the ships they also own.

The $3.00++ is killing my business. Not that it hurts daily but when people have no money to spend on a luxury service, like charter fishing.

Maybe I need to go into Bicycle bizness.
peterbo3
Contributor

Post by peterbo3 »

Alloytoy,
The watertight chambers are the void under the deck. I missed photos of the framing setup before the deck went down. It will become a little clearer after the fitout. But there are more pics now.

Bow shot on trailer. 99% of the hotwork is complete.

Different angle. Trailer needs to be set up properly.

Stern showing ladder, scuppers, ballast tubes, transducer mount & mount plates for the Volvo QL Trim Tabs. The transducer is a 600W through hull (not shoot-through) mounted on an extension of the planing plank. I cannot see the sense of cutting holes in the bottom of perfectly good boats. The 600W will be replaced by a 1Kw 0 Deg SS164 when Airmar gets organized.

Transom showing bait station & live bait tank to port.

Cabin bulkhead with cutouts for hyd steering, instruments & flush mounted radios to port.

Rear of bulkhead showing boxes which will house the electrical gear such as bussbars & wiring looms. Lots of stuff to go in there so I added the lower box.

Fuel fill cap under deck plate. No airlocks.......EVER. No fuel gauge to give false readings...............dipstick with no moving parts.
Regards,

Pete in Brisbane
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Man.....One great looking craft!!!!

Is that a standard spot for the transducer? In the states they are usually offset a foot & a half to the starboard side, Is this because in is a thru hull type ducer?

This cabin area could sleep 2or 3?

Are trim tabs required in conjunction with the ballast tubes?

Great Job!!!! Please keep the pics coming
Daddy'O

Post by Daddy'O »

Looking good Peter!

Wayne
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

peterbo3
Contributor

Post by peterbo3 »

Alloytoy,
The transducer is the low profile type & is designed to be mounted in the hull.
Trials have shown that minimum water turbulence occurs along the centre line hence the position selected. The strakes throw out a lot of aerated water.
Cab will sleep two normally or three really good friends if bunk infill is in place. :roll: :roll: :roll: I think crew #3 & #4 will be sleeping on deck. :D
:D :D
The tabs are simply to give better control on the plane. The ballast tubes are empty when running. They only fill when the boat is at rest or travelling very slowly.
Regards,

Pete in Brisbane
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Ya know...when Welder & I and the rest were in discussion about an alloy boat web site, THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I HAD INVISIONED :!: :!:

*Builds
*Styles
*Work
*Play

Peter, I'm a die-hard center (centre...) console, no-top, kinda guy who loves the open air, and sun. So I look immediately at other things, that have to do with simplicity and function.

And that Livewell, has me intrigued. I love that. In the transom, and drains out the stern via holes? That's as we say, "the cats azz".

I have small livewells in my boat that just sit on the floor (by my choice) and one of them I took and cut a thin slot down the side at the high water mark, and when I want it to be flushing, I attach a hose from my wash-down pump, and have the water fill and dump on the floor and out the scupper it sits nect too........same deal as yours but cruder and in the boat.

I love your system and would love to see Jay at Blacklab incorporate the same thing into some rather dead air space in our boats.

I have it in my head, the possible design I mean...for an at least 15 gallon rounded corner well. That's just like the one in your boat.

And the gas fill and dip stick idea is really up my ally.
And that incorporated ladder step.

Can't wait for more. This is what its all about.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic