Trim tabs ?

A Place to Show and Tell
ReelSong

Trim tabs ?

Post by ReelSong »

OK guys, I need to order trim tab kit for the new build and dont know which way to go? Bennett, Lenco, Minkota, electric Hydraulic??? Help
welder
Site Admin

Re: Trim tabs ?

Post by welder »

Bennett are #1 but take a little more skill to install
Lenco are #2 and easy to install

Both of these Companies are rated tops for customer relations and standing behind their products. You might want to look at the details of both installs [ read, drilling holes in your hull and what not ]
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
ReelSong

Post by ReelSong »

Thanks , I just order'ed the 16X12 dual ram sport tabs with auto controller from Bennett
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

COOL, we want to see pictures of the install .

:beer:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
CTMD

Post by CTMD »

Too late to the party....

we use and recommend interceptors rather than trim tabs whenever possible. less prone to damage and typically more responsive. The easiest off the shelf products are the Volvo and Humphree products.
Chris Tucker Marine Design
Your Boat Your Way.
www.ctmd.com.au
nabeelah

Post by nabeelah »

Hi Chris,
Whats that? Never heard that before?
CTMD

Post by CTMD »

info here, basically it is a plate the extends from the transom to provide lift. They're a little counter intuitive at first but far superior in terms of both resistance and trim effect. Back when I designed big ships we used to custom build them.
Chris Tucker Marine Design
Your Boat Your Way.
www.ctmd.com.au
ReelSong

Post by ReelSong »

Very interesting indeed, but to late the Bennetts are on the way. Thanks for the info though definitely something to consider on the next build.
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Wondering why you choose hydraulic hoses & 12 Volts over just 12V wire harness?

Just incase you may have thought the lencos were no good, I've had them on boats since 1997 back before the new owner moved them to S. Florida. With never a problem.
ReelSong

Post by ReelSong »

No, I did not think the Lenco's were( no good), I have expeiriance with the Bennetts and have never had problems on the last three boats, Just wanted to know if there was something better. Also Bennet had the highest capacity with a 16" wide tab which is what I had room for, Thanks for your Humble opinion though. Needed to place an order to get moving so It's done.

Terry
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

My message was all screwed up above. It was supposed to say I can't stand my own hydraulic steering even...... :rotfl:
I want my next boat to be "tiller steering". Keeping it really simple.

How big a boat are we talking?

My last boat (not alloy) was just a 23' CC and I had 16X12 Lenco's. One "TAP" is all it took, cus they were so big. But then again. I could flip the boat over with them if I wanted. Certainly not over worked.

I was just wondering, that's all.
ReelSong

Post by ReelSong »

Jetty, the boat is 31'X10' the one I've been building, here's a pic, I have mixed opinions on the tabs and I think all would either would have worked just fine thanks for you input

Terry
Attachments
1227101156a.jpg
1227101156a.jpg (195.15 KiB) Viewed 12117 times
ReelSong

Post by ReelSong »

And Oh yeah, I run my 22' guide sled with a tiller handle and its a 250hp yammie , works great
Attachments
101_2806.JPG
101_2806.JPG (167.34 KiB) Viewed 12116 times
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

OH the memories..........

Yeah, I used to have multiple (3) boats at one time, also. All Center consoles, 22, a 23, and a 17' skiff. All different shapes.

I called the fleet, "My Three Wives"because at least one was bitchin for attention, because something was broke. What was broke, was my wallet! Most of the time.

That was back in the Good Ole Days....ya know. PRE- multiple wars, cheaper fuel prices, and the Clinton Era, when the USA was a happy place. UNLIKE, today.

Yep, I guess life is good up yonder.

Here, it'll pretty much never be the same again. But, I'm hopeful or just in need of a move....I want outa here anyhow.
I wanna be a Gulf of Mexico angler.
ReelSong

Post by ReelSong »

I dont think times are so good up north here, but the river, boat and drift boat, have to keep working til the offshore boat gets finished. All part of the master plan of someday selling the heating and cooling business and fishing for a living after its all paid for, I couldnt survive fishing only if I owed anything on the boats, thats also why my build has taken over a year, I do not want to owe a dime on it when it is done. and oh yeah, I'd like to be in Costa Rica for the Jan and Feb months but out here the rest of the time. One must have a dream or why work this darn hard.
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Yeah, I want outa here and want to brave Hurricane Central. SE Louisiana......that takes BALLS, I figure. I only have 15+ years building a charter biz here, :nutkick: too loose.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic