Here's a surprising thing

A Place to Show and Tell
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Here's a surprising thing

Post by JETTYWOLF »

You may or may not know by reading my other "STEERING ISSUE" posts. I've been very unhappy with my Teleflex hydraulic steering.

I shouldn't be on helm pump unit #2 in 4-3/4 years.

I shouldn't be on steering cylinder #2 in 4-3/4 years.

But not surprising though...I had 4 helms on my last boat in the course of 10 years.

I called around, $1700 will get me another brand, a brand considered COMMERCIAL grade.
I don't have $1700 to drop on a steering system.

So I called Teleflex and discussed my problems.

#1 - Excessive helm valve "chatter"
#2 - wheel moves with my hands not even on the wheel. This should certainly not be happening!!!!!!!!!
Helm valves have to be bad.

Teleflex suggested a new PRO HELM at $600 or a ANTI-CHATTER Valve kit.

Here's the dope, in VIDEO

http://youtu.be/qkVcCeSnCoU

I'll follow up if my whole days work installing this has the steering working properly or not. You cannot buy this kit in a store, it's only for "complainers" like me.
Chaps
Donator '09

Re: Here's a surprising thing

Post by Chaps »

Did you bleed the system? Having that big loop of hose in there had to make that interesting.
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Polywave

Post by Polywave »

Hey Wolf,
I have the same helm you do. Mine chatters too, and I'm not 100% sure, but I think I may have caught it moving a little on me too when I was under way.
For comparison, can you tell me how much Teleflex charged for that anti-chatter thingy? I may or may not get one, the chatter is a little irritating, but maybe not enough to justify the cost to get rid of it.
If your boat were mine I would cut an opening in that area and put a door on there. If you're not in there very often, a cover screwed on would be an option. If you're in there alot, maybe it would be worth the ole hinge and latch option.
Just a note, seems to me from watching your video that you had some room to just screw that thingy to the console somewhere. Why not?
Poly
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Thanks for the replies fellas.....

Chaps,
oh yeah man. I'm a teleflex "exput" now. I've had so many helms and cylinders on my boats that were replaced it's rediculas. That hard tubing they supplied was so stiff that a big swing bend was all I could do.
Oh yeah.....I'm a purging "exput" too. I call dad and we purge our butts off.

Polywave,
They didn't charge me anything for that "anti-chatter" valve kit. It's for the complainers!! The guy Mike at Teleflex told me......."some people complain about the chattering, some don't" So they have this secret valve to shut us up I guess.

I've been told by the folks at KOBELT steering systems that "Ours do not chatter". And Teleflex says if you don't want chatter you have to install this kit, or BUY the PRO HELM.

I'm a full-time fisherman, which means, I'm always broke. So I went the way of the Anti-Chatter Valve Kit. FOR FREE. Because they realized I was a complainer I guess.

WELL I'M HERE TO SAY THAT AFTER ALL MY HARDWORK UNDER THE CONSOLE THAT TODAY WHILE ON A CHARTER THE STEERING WORKED GREAT AND I NEVER FELT OR HEARD A SINGLE BIT OF CHATTERING OF THE VALVES ON THE HELM PUMP.

No, no need to cut my console up or make holes. But the Pacific Supertop still would have been nice to have. Either way, my boat is 150% easier to work under the console then my old f'glass boat. And on that boat I had 4 helm pumps in 10 years!

Hope I'm done with my steering issues.

Polywave,
see if you can get the kit for free too. Believe me, steering that doesn't chatter, and isn't sloppy as all hell, is the way YOURS and MINE and EVERYONE elses is SUPPOSED to be. Remember, the steering in your vehicle is hydraulic too. If it chatters or is sloppy..."you probably ain't putting up with it either."
welderbob
Donator ,15

Post by welderbob »

Jetty,

Like I said we use UFLEX protech series steering on all of our boats . There is no chatter or creeping. A complete kit on e bay is around $700.00 . Cylinders and helms don't leak or need to be replaced.

welderbob
netman

Post by netman »

Up until aprrox 2 months ago I had never messed with hydraulic steering. When we built my buddys plate boat we installed the Teleflex hyd steering. On the install our biggest complaint was the stiffness with the hoses however we overcame that by sliding it through some alum half pipe welded in the corner of the fish box and floor. Once installed and on the river I fell in love with it. The most positive note for me was that it would not turn either way unless you turn the wheel. While under way we let go of the wheel to see how she would go and it was solid.
Now the boat has a Suzuki F60 and the helm is new.
I am installing the Seastar Pro Kit on mine as it is for 150hp and larger. My new F200 will be here next week sometime. I am waiting for all the components to catch up with each other before I take my 2 yr old F90 off. I have been driving my F90 with stick steering.
I am all eyes and ears on this situation your in. As I am on the water everyday myself and my paycheck depends on the gear I buy and use.
Netman
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Netman, I know someone looking for a tiller 90hp long shaft if yours is going to be 4 sale
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

If Uflex is only $700 it's hard to believe it's that great.

Kobelt which is reallllly nice, was going to run me at least $1700 installed.

Netman, all I can tell ya is when ever buying a teleflex unit get the "PRO", because they say it's the only one that doesn't chatter. But, in my opinion NONE should chatter at all. But you're running low HP so maybe you'll be okay.

They need to beef up all their helm units. There should be no need for a "secret" Anti-Chatter valve kits to keep people behind the wheel doing donuts in the length of their boats, happy.

All I can tell ya in the last two boats I've owned, and the only ones with Hydaulic steering, I've been thru:
(over a span of 14 years 7 months)

2- steering cylinders
6- Cylinder End Cap changes
1- Helm shaft seal
6- Complete Helms
and now 1 anti-chatter valve kit.

Go figure......
netman

Post by netman »

Wolf I ordered my Seastar Pro today. I'm really looking forward to this steering system.
Chaps sorry for the delayed response but I'm gonna get the new motor on first and then work on moving the F90. I also have a extra lower unit and new prop that will go too.
Netman
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

See??

You're already smarter by being a AAB.com member.
Polywave

Post by Polywave »

Who do I contact to get an anti-chatter module?
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Polywave wrote:Who do I contact to get an anti-chatter module?

TELEFLEX. In British Columbia, Canada :skipper:

(as I stated earlier.)

About 10 trips later: My steering is Okay now. Not anything like a 1995 beat to a pulp Ford F-250. But better.

Teleflex, never again.
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Hey........Polywave,

I went ahead and ordered a new PRO helm today. I really don't feel as if the "anti-chatter valve" has fixed much.
Yeah, I get no chatter. But my helm is still sloppy as all hell.

I really notice it when I'm ripping down river in super sloppy conditions. I have to really keep up with the wheel.

I'm so fed up with it all, it might end up on Ebay if I can ever get a true super duty cpommercial unit.

May try the Pro helm and the anti-chatter valve together.

Will report back.
Polywave

Post by Polywave »

Hi Jettywolf,
I contacted Teleflex Canada and spoke with one of their tech support guys. He's gonna send me something, not sure if it's a new set of valves for my BayStar, or if it's an anti-chatter valve.

I won't be able to try it out for quite some time because I'm remodeling the roof and windshield on my boat. The original windsheild sloped backward and the roof was WAY too small to throw a halibut on. Plus the radar arch and those ridiculous rod holders were placed at the back of the roof, getting in the way of the halibut, crab pots or shrimp pots that I store up there.

This means a new dash board and helm location moved forward. I'll have to replace the engine control lines, relocate the gages, extend the hydraulic steering lines, install new seating, etc etc.

I'll post up when I do get a chance to get this thing back on the water and test whatever they're sending.
Poly
IMG_0074.jpg
IMG_0074.jpg (137.22 KiB) Viewed 9880 times
IMG_0072.JPG
IMG_0072.JPG (96.91 KiB) Viewed 9880 times
IMG_0075.jpg
IMG_0075.jpg (101.25 KiB) Viewed 9880 times
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Now why would anyone want to put a Halibut on the roof?
I bet when you take a picture, you show the white side too, huh?

awe heck, it must be a PACWEST thang. If you were down here, you'd take that big flat roof and install a mini-fold down tower, complete with wheel, electronics, controls and a sun shade top.

Sounds like you're deep into remodeling. Yep, when ya talk to those guys, it's as if they're trained not to give out much info or "incriminate" themselves by giving lots of good advice to over come problems with the product. Which is understandable, of course.

INSIDE your owners manual you'll find these words:

NOTICE:
Due to a small amount of Hydraulic slip, a "master spoke" or "centered" steering wheel CANNOT be maintained with a Hydraulic steering system. For best results use a "equal spoke" steering wheel.

SeaStar PRO Helms are not 100% locking and therefore a small amount of hydraulic drift is normal.

Well, I'm basing the amount of drift I get to be EXCESSIVE. And hope that a new helm (the Pro) will help.
Polywave

Post by Polywave »

Well, an anti-chatter module arrived today. I agree Wolf, the hydraulic line/couplings they sent with it pretty much suck! I think I'll head over to my local hydraulic shop and have some REAL hydraulic lines made. Installing the anti-chatter module kind of fits in with my remodel as I need to extend the current hydraulic lines due to moving the helm forward.

It'll be a few months before I get a chance to check the module out. Goatram and his son are coming over Sunday to look at my boat and give me an estimate as to how much they would want to weld some of it together. It's getting closer!!!!

I'm heading to Port Townsend this Saturday for some halibut and shimp fishing. Both look a little iffy as the tide swing is huge. Probably get only about 1 1/2 hour soak on the shrimp pots.
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I have an update too!

My new PRO helm is in transit via USPS from 4 hrs south of me. I should have it next week, at least and can do the install in just a few hrs.

I'll let ya know if it's making a difference for me. IE: not so much wheel wondering, and no chattering.

It's almost "touristo" season here, where people leave their own HEAT, and come down here to BOIL just a little more. Looking like day glow aliens, and leave, rosey pink and hurting. I need everything to be in top notch form.

Guess, I'll have some spare parts to trade or sell....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic