Zincs - Should I be worried?

A Place to Show and Tell
Challenge
Donator 08, 09,10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22

Zincs - Should I be worried?

Post by Challenge »

Hi Folks,

I'm getting the boat ready for the season. When I was greasing the motor (40 hp merc 4 stroke), I noticed that the zinc on my motor needs to be replaced the one below the bracket to the hull (not the one behind the prop) ... not real bad but I will get a new one. The zinc on my hull still looks brand new.

I'm on a mooring and no boats near me have shore power, so it is not HOT harbor.

My negative terminal on my battery has a wire to the hull and one to the buss bar.

Should I be worried or is normal?

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Rick
S L Dave
Donator #1 '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13

Re: Zincs - Should I be worried?

Post by S L Dave »

Normal, I think.

Boatzincs.com
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Any zinc should be replaced when it reaches 50% of it's original size.

Typically we do not ground to our hulls, we use a 2 wire system to everything.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

If I remember correctly a non-metal boat it should not be the ground as it can't be but the engine, thru-hull fittings, shaft, prop, trim tabs and any other metal objects are subject to decay therefore the zincs, they are the sacrificial part in the equation. Here is a really good place to look.

http://www.corrosionist.com/Galvanic_Se ... awater.htm

Note that AL is not that far away from ZN...so pay close attention to where things might have a small corrosion exposure. I remember reading here about guys with carpet boards on the trailer that caused issues just sitting at home on the trailer with damp carpet.

Also the ones on the motor would go away faster than hull zincs, if they are not in a high water flow area, which the motor zincs are....it is small but I think someplace I read a current is set up with the flow of water between dissimilar metals. I have two zincs on my transom so when I am at rest or moored in a marine overnight I have some protection as they will go before the AL. I have already notice where there are some SS bolts on my deck the paint is lifting from the minute corrosion at the hole.

Hope this gives some light on the subject and I am not wrong. Capt PJ
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

""""Note that AL is not that far away from ZN...so pay close attention to where things might have a small corrosion exposure. I remember reading here about guys with carpet boards on the trailer that caused issues just sitting at home on the trailer with damp carpet."""""

That was sitting on "pressure treated lumber bunk boards", which uses some kind of copper in the treatment process.
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

JETTYWOLF wrote:""""Note that AL is not that far away from ZN...so pay close attention to where things might have a small corrosion exposure. I remember reading here about guys with carpet boards on the trailer that caused issues just sitting at home on the trailer with damp carpet."""""

That was sitting on "pressure treated lumber bunk boards", which uses some kind of copper in the treatment process.

Wasn't it also the bolts or staples or screws? Good POINT re the treatment!
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

You'd have to ask AlloyToy.
Challenge
Donator 08, 09,10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22

Post by Challenge »

Replaced the motor zinc today... thanks to boatzincs.com easy order & quick shipping :thumbsup:

Everything on my boat is a 2 wire system, so I guesss, hope, think I'm OK.

I topped my carpet trailer bunks last year thanks Alloytoy!

Cheers & Thanks

Rick
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

welder wrote:Any zinc should be replaced when it reaches 50% of it's original size.

Les; Keven Posted up a on a thread that run two wires to all components but also run a Ground Wire from the Hull to the - post.
I have yet to do so but soon I may
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
Gundog
Sponsor/Donator

Post by Gundog »

Make sure the connection from the zinc to the aluminum is very clean a scotchbrite disc makes short work of this. I use no oxide inhibitor between the zinc & the aluminum to ensure a good connection between the 2 metals. The zinc can only work if it has a good connection with the aluminum. Do not use the no oxide inhibitor on any other part of the zinc just the surface that mates to the aluminum. I also clean the zinc each year with a wire brush to keep it fresh until it gets changed out.

Mike
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

goatram wrote:
welder wrote:Any zinc should be replaced when it reaches 50% of it's original size.

Les; Keven Posted up a on a thread that run two wires to all components but also run a Ground Wire from the Hull to the - post.
I have yet to do so but soon I may
John, I'll read that again, with the battery NEG attached to the hull you could stand a chance of loosing the NEG wire to what ever fixture and the ground strap could [ I said COULD ] pick up the NEG side and you may NOT know you lost a wire and in my mind that could go bad . I think we want to keep it to ONE ground or NEG to the boat and that is the Motor mounted to the hull.

I made this statement to keep the INFO. coming.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic