Custom 21' Wooldridge offshore center console

A Place to Show and Tell
Superfishial

Re: Custom 21' Wooldridge offshore center console

Post by Superfishial »

Lol, I should have clarified that Whale is the manufacturer. Thanks for sparing us the mental drawing :rotfl:

We have a pretty long list of electronics and accessories that is always changing so I will try to note when things appear in the build pictures as much as possible. :thumbsup:

Just got back from the factory and things are really starting to take shape!
Attachments
2012.8.17 041 c.jpg
2012.8.17 041 c.jpg (90.62 KiB) Viewed 13338 times
2012.8.17 038 c.jpg
2012.8.17 038 c.jpg (98.03 KiB) Viewed 13338 times
2012.8.17 039 c.jpg
2012.8.17 039 c.jpg (114.62 KiB) Viewed 13338 times
2012.8.17 040 c.jpg
2012.8.17 040 c.jpg (110.85 KiB) Viewed 13338 times
Superfishial

Post by Superfishial »

Roof and arch up. That's Mark the hardcore fisherman, I mean welder.
Attachments
2012.8.23 010.JPG
2012.8.23 010.JPG (93.99 KiB) Viewed 13283 times
2012.8.23 012.JPG
2012.8.23 012.JPG (82.59 KiB) Viewed 13283 times
wetwhopper

Post by wetwhopper »

That's one SEXY ride you have there :thumbsup:
"A lean dog is a mean dog and the mean dog always gets the bone!"
Superfishial

Post by Superfishial »

Thanks wetwhopper!

Here's a few more showing some of the window cut outs (still waiting on a couple portlights), roof structure, transom door, and some minor tweaks to the dash- my bad Grant :mrgreen: In the last picture you can kind of see the extended tray/footsteps to the bow deck. I can't stop staring at that roof...
Attachments
gullwing door!!!
gullwing door!!!
2012.8.27 009.JPG (90.65 KiB) Viewed 13243 times
dialing in the dash
dialing in the dash
2012.8.27 004.jpeg (78.51 KiB) Viewed 13243 times
lots of room back there
lots of room back there
2012.8.27 008.JPG (95.04 KiB) Viewed 13243 times
transom door with removable hinge, will probably spend more time in the garage
transom door with removable hinge, will probably spend more time in the garage
2012.8.27 007.JPG (75.11 KiB) Viewed 13243 times
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Very cool pictures and descriptions. Thank You for sharing :thumbsup:

What are you going to name her?????? My suggestion "Woolly Mammoth"

My head is just spinning from Your Wooldridge and Peezer's Pacific Builds :beer: I think we are going to need a Maiden voyage fish off contest :mrgreen:
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
Superfishial

Post by Superfishial »

No problem Mojo, my pleasure! We have been calling her Yolo for fun right now (inside joke) but not sure how serious we are about that. From the looks of it, Peezer would outfish us in the big blue but we might put a few more salmon in the box with our 3 scotty's and TR-1 Gold, so to make it fair I say first fish wins (flounders count) :thumbsup:

Just got back from the factory wishing the bare aluminum on the console farewell as she will be going to paint next week (JUST the console...) and saying hello to a few new additions!
Attachments
grab rails getting welded on
grab rails getting welded on
image-1.jpeg (114.2 KiB) Viewed 13053 times
Transom coming to life...
Transom coming to life...
image.jpeg (123.8 KiB) Viewed 13053 times
Superfishial

Post by Superfishial »

paint just finished an hour ago- getting closer...
Attachments
2012.9.12 006.JPG
2012.9.12 006.JPG (108.37 KiB) Viewed 13022 times
2012.9.13 003 c.jpg
2012.9.13 003 c.jpg (85.56 KiB) Viewed 13022 times
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

She is looking great :thumbsup: Season up north looking like it's in the bottom of the eighth..... two outs.

Heh heh I was thinking of evening the playing field. Either Spiderman-Zebco rod biggest fish or some sort of points system............ winner gets a Aluminum Alloy Boats Shirt???????? What do you think Les??????? :popcorn:
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

I'm in but I have to have more shirts printed up.
Sure wish we had a really cool logo.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
paddler

Post by paddler »

GrantWooldridge wrote:
jj225 wrote:Didn't realize there was no "super" in the "sport" 20' model. The way the senior Wooldridge explained it over the phone to me it made it sound like the bracket on the 20' model was slicker than chit and a much better design. Maybe he was just being a salesman at that point. Quite frankly I like the idea of an extended bracket. Many boat builders use them.

The 20' doesn't have a self bailing deck but it can be added on and with the 150hp only being about 120lbs lighter you
wouldn't think it would make that much difference. Just add a standard bait tank on the back and it'll weigh more than
that. Kind of raises more questions imo regarding the 20' which is what I'm interested in.
Superfishial wrote:Yes the bottom is extended to provide more flotation for the 625 pounds of power with the self bailing design and it will give a nice ride. Wooldridge has yet to make a 20' Super Sport Offshore Pilot and Glen please correct me if I'm wrong but the 20' Sport Offshore Pilots don't have self bailing decks and the 150's that go on them are light enough to not require extended hull type brackets. The higher top speed, fuel economy, and handling of a set back bracket makes more sense on a hull like the Sport Offshore.

jj225 - The bracket with the displacement box is standard though we can do the bottom hull extension also. There is no right or wrong version. The bracket with displacement box makes for a little bit faster boat and the motor can be mounted 3" higher. This version also helps in following seas as the water comes under the bracket and box and helps lift the rear of the boat. The bottom pod extension is a good ad if someone is going to have lots of weight in HP, batteries, fuel or people in a smaller boat as it will help ad buoyancy and lift when fishing. This was the perfect combo for this boat with its size, power and that it was going to have a self draining floor. There are pros and cons to both and anyone can feel free to call and pick my brain about it if they like. I would be happy to answer any questions.

I hope this helps.

Grant Wooldridge - (206) 722-8998
Okay, Grant, I have a question regarding the offshore brackets. They look funny to me. Let's say your OS bracket is 24" long. I think most are less than this, but let's round up. Why not just make the hull 2' longer and have a standard transom with a splashwell? I think it's a much cleaner look, gives even more buoyancy in the stern, and the splashwell is great for bleeding fish. What is the advantage of an OS bracket over just extending the hull the same amount? What is the cost difference, with respect to labor? materials? Is there a difference in rigidity? I don't understand why OS brackets are so prevalent. Thanks.
Superfishial

Post by Superfishial »

Welder and Mojo- I want an Aluminum Alloy Boats t-shirt! But as mojo said, my season is dwindling. I might be able to scratch some late silvers if we're lucky but most likely looking at sea run cutthroat and chum (if I'm really lucky).

Paddler- You will get a quicker answer from Grant if you give him a call as he rarely checks this site. I will let him know about your inquiry in case he has time to step away from the boat and answer here.

Out of paint and into rigging. Soon now, very soon
Attachments
2012.9.18 006 c.jpeg
2012.9.18 006 c.jpeg (94.77 KiB) Viewed 12935 times
Superfishial

Post by Superfishial »

Few more pics...

Cool story about that dash- Grant helped me customize that thing to-the-T by mocking up steering wheels, MFD, binnacle, to get both angles just right. The height of the bottom of the glass is only 48" (dash @ 46") because the console is so far forward we wanted to increase visibility of the bow. Once the dash was built, the angle of the upper face turned out to be slightly steep to be looking down at the MFD screen. It was my fault because I made the final call on the angle of that plate BUT instead of living with it, Grant turned my mistake into an even better idea which was to not only reduce the angle by sinking a space for the MFD but also raise it up so I could see it better from the stern while setting down riggers and motor mooching/jigging at the tiller. I stopped in about a week after that and Grant had also created a slight riser pad for the tilt helm so that we can get more adjustments at the wheel. The fact that Grant and company can put so much time and thought into each boat while they have 10 others going at the same time is pretty amazing.
Attachments
tricked out!
tricked out!
2012.9.19 016 c.jpeg (74.07 KiB) Viewed 12898 times
another angle showing the gullwing door opening
another angle showing the gullwing door opening
2012.9.18 007 c.jpeg (98.16 KiB) Viewed 12898 times
rear flip seat brackets installed
rear flip seat brackets installed
2012.9.19 017 c.jpeg (68.48 KiB) Viewed 12898 times
Superfishial

Post by Superfishial »

Thanks Peezer, like yours too :thumbsup:

Scotty is a brand of downrigger used in the PNW for Salmon fishing and TR-1 Gold is an autopilot developed for low hp kicker motors and commonly used around here for trolling specific patterns or holding positions in wind, waves, and current while fishing salmon and bottom fish.

I hear you on the rod holders. After I saw your boat I liked the idea of 4 coming off the radar arch so I double checked our arch but it was built angling forward to follow the windshield line, which still looks cool but I'm not sure how rod holders coming off the sides in the opposite direction would work out... Still thinking about it...

So are we barbie poling it or what?
Superfishial

Post by Superfishial »

LOLOL horrible choice of words on my part, guess I have a habit of sending mixed messages here :rotfl: I was referring to the kiddy pole challenge welder or mojo suggested earlier.

I saw those davits and they sound legit but the fish I'm after are much smaller and don't require that much help, plus this haole likes to earn his catch :thumbsup:

I hear ya on the electronics lock and I like your gasoline lock too- smart!

I'm good on rod holders for now as there will be 4 more along the gunwale railings and rear transom mounted to a sliding rail system allowing them to be repositioned at the turn of a dial. Also, Wooldridge is so close that I can tow her down and add/subtract whenever, REEL nice!

The transom sink box doubles as a live well and with the forespar high speed pickup, it should keep about a scoop of anchovies alive all the way out to blue water.

BTW A win is a win these days... I guess :popcorn:
Superfishial

Post by Superfishial »

I hear ya on the round tank Peezer. I think this will work out and it sounds like Wooldridge has many happy customers using this shape. there's always enough room back there for a an additional tank if I find the need for one. Congrats on the boat, man she looks gorgeous! I drive by that launch on my way to work and it's a good thing I didn't see her in the water or else I might have crashed trying to count the rod holders LOL

I'm still a month out...

Just got back from the factory and here's a few updates...
Attachments
dual wiper system
dual wiper system
2012.9.26 024 c.jpg (115.01 KiB) Viewed 12804 times
rear flip up seat resting flush
rear flip up seat resting flush
seatDOWN.JPG (87.83 KiB) Viewed 12804 times
flipped up
flipped up
seatUP.JPG (103.1 KiB) Viewed 12804 times
Miller Marine sliding rail mount system showing the billet rod holder adapter- SUPER burly!  2 additional tracks are mounted on opposite railing and along the transom.  Beautiful system Mike!
Miller Marine sliding rail mount system showing the billet rod holder adapter- SUPER burly! 2 additional tracks are mounted on opposite railing and along the transom. Beautiful system Mike!
rail.JPG (117.84 KiB) Viewed 12804 times
the name says it all
the name says it all
logo.JPG (114.3 KiB) Viewed 12804 times
Superfishial

Post by Superfishial »

Thanks Peezer, getting stoked! Out here it's mostly Scotty or Cannon and it's really a ford vs chevy kinda thing. Boca Grande tarpon downrigging sounds crazy! Give'r man! I wonder if the downrigger line would count as 1 of your 3 allowed per boat in the pass? Doesn't sound like folks follow the rules anyway down there :sarge: I've never been but my fly fish buds are all about it and say it can be quite the gong show.

I'm not sure if I could step to an all out biggest fish contest with a Floridian as we just don't have the same caliber of targetable species up here. Halibut doesn't open until next year and I won't be trolling for those. How about an MPH contest :thumbsup:

rod holder envy is already kicking in...
Napa Mike

Post by Napa Mike »

Did you say earlier that you had a sleeping pod on your boat? If so, where will it be located?

Thanks,
Mike
Superfishial

Post by Superfishial »

Peezer,

Etec 200 HO for the stir stick (220-ish horsepower). Attn: Welder & Mojo: My shirt size is Large :popcorn:

Mike,

The boat sleeps one person inside the cuddy/potti area just forward of the console. The need to sleep one is kinda rare but there was so much continuous space separated by only a single plate of aluminum that I had to seize the opportunity. Grant was onboard with the idea so he fabricated a removable door that connects the bow storage with the potti/console area. To create a level sleeping surface, they built a false deck out of marine plywood (same level as the deck) and it completely covers the potti and both batteries, which are located upfront in the bow storage area. The resulting area is similar to a backpackers tent with a ton of head room that tapers to some generous leg room. Coupled with dome lights and screened/vented port lights, it makes for an excellent crash space. I will post some pictures when Don (Grant's Uncle) is done rigging all the electronics because it's pretty busy in there right now.
Napa Mike

Post by Napa Mike »

cool Boat. Congrats!
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Guess I need to order more shirts.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Superfishial

Post by Superfishial »

I stopped by Wooldridge today just before they were closing up shop for the weekend and noticed Don has finished rigging the whole console and has moved back to the motors, downriggers, and pot puller. It was really something to see the NMEA 2k system come together "physically" and I can't wait to try it out! Should be ready to hit the water next week for a trial run but she will need to go back in for bottom paint and canvas work before we take her home.

Grant caught me snoozing in the cuddy : )
Attachments
image-6.jpeg
image-6.jpeg (86.01 KiB) Viewed 13151 times
image-5.jpeg
image-5.jpeg (111.05 KiB) Viewed 13151 times
both outer rod holders custom cut to accept fly rods
both outer rod holders custom cut to accept fly rods
image-4.jpeg (128 KiB) Viewed 13151 times
stir stick
stir stick
photo-1.JPG (116.05 KiB) Viewed 13151 times
horrible picture shows: console dome lights, RCA switch (ipod-XM), Garmin VHF200 flush mounted, Jensen speakers
horrible picture shows: console dome lights, RCA switch (ipod-XM), Garmin VHF200 flush mounted, Jensen speakers
ceiling.JPG (95.35 KiB) Viewed 13151 times
head gear: GPS 17x, GMR18HD radar, GXM satellite/weather, VHF antenna, horn, Vision-X LED
head gear: GPS 17x, GMR18HD radar, GXM satellite/weather, VHF antenna, horn, Vision-X LED
radar-top.JPG (113.78 KiB) Viewed 13151 times
Superfishial

Post by Superfishial »

Today Grant sent me a few pictures of some of the cool features recently installed on the boat. Thought I might share but please be forewarned, there are some non-alloy materials included...
Attachments
custom door from boatoutfitters.com offers access to seatbox open storage.  A 7 tray plano tackle storage from same manufacturer is installed on the opposite side.  Will provide pics later. You can also see one of the diamond plate console storage doors- all locking.
custom door from boatoutfitters.com offers access to seatbox open storage. A 7 tray plano tackle storage from same manufacturer is installed on the opposite side. Will provide pics later. You can also see one of the diamond plate console storage doors- all locking.
2012.10.11 004.JPG (79.99 KiB) Viewed 13125 times
Diamond Sea Glaze Gullwing door custom made for Wooldridge boats, exterior handles for outside entry
Diamond Sea Glaze Gullwing door custom made for Wooldridge boats, exterior handles for outside entry
2012.10.11 002 c.jpg (98.88 KiB) Viewed 13125 times
It's alive!!!
It's alive!!!
2012.10.11 005 c.jpg (76.17 KiB) Viewed 13125 times
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

You will love that little sleeping area :thumbsup: My Maritime had it, and it was very useful space......and the 23' Maritime has enough room for two adults to sleep....cozy

Really wish my Pacific had it :idea:

Will the forward hatch be water tight enough so you keep that area nice and dry??

Great looking boat :clap:
Superfishial

Post by Superfishial »

It floats :clap: :clap: :clap:

Handles beautifully and sits ever so level.

AlloyToy- The forward hatch will be water tight enough to keep the cuddy area dry and we will be diligent about keeping wet ropes outta there! Just in case, there are drainage areas to direct water down into the hull and into the bilge.

If anybody wants to check out the boat in person it will be at the Portland show and either the Puyallup or Seattle show as well, so stop by the Wooldridge booth and climb aboard!
Attachments
1-IMG_8366-001.jpeg
1-IMG_8366-001.jpeg (39.44 KiB) Viewed 12926 times
1-IMG_8374.jpeg
1-IMG_8374.jpeg (48.88 KiB) Viewed 12926 times
1-IMG_8376.jpeg
1-IMG_8376.jpeg (46.69 KiB) Viewed 12926 times
1-IMG_8377.jpeg
1-IMG_8377.jpeg (47.03 KiB) Viewed 12926 times
1-IMG_8383.jpeg
1-IMG_8383.jpeg (38.79 KiB) Viewed 12926 times
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Very nice, what a great build :thumbsup: Thank You so much for posting her up on AAB. I look forward to to reading about awesome adventures of monster fish/crab/shrimp and majestic scenery.
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic