My Custom Build -

A Place to Show and Tell
Rock_Crusher

My Custom Build -

Post by Rock_Crusher »

Long time reader / browser, finally decided to make an account!
First of all, I'll introduce myself. My name is Brett and I'm 30 years old, married and live in Oring, WA.

About two years ago, I decided I wanted to try building a boat. I found the Glen-l Marine website and looked at many of their aluminum designs. I knew ahead of time I would be using these as a baseline for construction but knew what I wanted.

22-24 feet long, 102" beam, ability to run prop or pump. dual console with hydraulic steering.

Well after a lot of work, I was able to get my boat "RockCrusher" in the water for the first time. I named the boat after my late grandpa's radio call sign. Image

The boat has the following specs:
225 Evinrude 2 Stroke main
15 hp Suzuki 4 stroke kicker
7" Hydrualic jack plate
23' x 102"
1/4" 5083 H116 bottom and transom
3/16" 5083 H116 sides
Seastar Hydraulic Steering
Seating for six.
104 gallon gas tank

The majority of the exterior is completed. The interior still has panels to be put on.

With minimal fuel , gear and two adults, my first run produced 43 mph. However, this was with the shift cable in the wrong position where forward and reverse were switched. I only got 4800 rpm and I know that there is much more engine available. I will try to get it back out of the water here in the couple weeks and get some better numbers.
Sabs28
Donator '11 '12 '13 '14 '15

Re: My Custom Build -

Post by Sabs28 »

Welcome to the Forum Brett. That is a nice looking boat you have there. :thumbsup: Keep the pictures coming. :beer:
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

Nice boat. :thumbsup: How about some build pics?
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
Napa Mike

Post by Napa Mike »

Nice Job Brett! I am jealous. I know wood (I am a carpenter) but don't do well with metal. Maybe one of these days I will learn to weld. That is a boat you can really be proud of. Let us see some pics when you finish the inside too!
Rock_Crusher

Post by Rock_Crusher »

Thanks Guys... Here are some of the build pictures. I have documented it pretty well. I started Jan 2010.

I can add more or give more information. Going fishing at Neah Bay this weekend so the boat will stay at home. Next year she's going with me!
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

No wonder you jus "lurked".

Welcome.
Rock_Crusher

Post by Rock_Crusher »

Touche Jettywolf...

I was busy welding :) Look forward to posting more :)
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Is that , pressure treated wood, I see your using for deck support ? PT and Alloy don't mix well.

Your build is cool keep the pictures coming. :smitty:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Rock_Crusher

Post by Rock_Crusher »

It is... honestly that's probably one part of the boat build that I didn't research enough. Do you have any recommendations? I'm thinking next year of putting on black powder coated diamond plate ($$$) or or something else as I have noticed a bit of surface corrosion. All the contact is with 6061-t6 material. Any suggestions would be great
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Just use regular untreated lumber.
Lester,
Rock_Crusher

Post by Rock_Crusher »

would it be advisable to put some sort of Thompson's waterproofing on the underside and then an epoxy for the top to protect it? Thanks your your help!
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

Thanks for the pictures. Any idea how skinny she will run with the pump? I sure wouldn't want to get her stuck. She looks a bit heavy to just drag her off.
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

I don't see why not.
Just make sure what ever you use does not have a chemical reaction with the Aluminum. :thumbsup:

And to carry the weight of a fat guy like me, I would cut another 2X4 for each floor joist just a little bit shorter than the distance between the hangers and screw it to the side [ Cheek Plate it ] to keep the deflection down to a minimum.
Lester,
Rock_Crusher

Post by Rock_Crusher »

spoiled one wrote:Thanks for the pictures. Any idea how skinny she will run with the pump? I sure wouldn't want to get her stuck. She looks a bit heavy to just drag her off.
There is approximately 5" between the chines and the keel. I need to get some video of it doing a "fly-by" at the dock to see how she sits. There shouldn't be any power issues getting up on step from what I can tell so far. I don't plan on it being the skinniest of river boats. I have a friend that has a 18' for that. But I want to be able to run the Cowlitz and rivers of that size and up.

Weight-wise, I think she will sit at about 2500-3000 (which is heavier then most). There is 82" across the bottom with a good 17' before the nose starts to come up so I'm hoping the surface area will help when running skinny
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic