My new North River Seahawk Offshore 24'

A Place to Show and Tell
Steve the Brain

Re: My new North River Seahawk Offshore 24'

Post by Steve the Brain »

Chaps wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:25 pm Well BCTony finally has his boat back after it spent a bunch of time in Oregon receiving his latest round of mods and some warranty work at the factory. The boat was brought to me Tuesday of this week on a transport for the full enchilada bottom paint job and we pulled some long hours to have it ready to go home to Vancouver BC today, Saturday. I must say that his decision to go bare boat (no topside paint) when he had it built has worked out well in my opinion as it just looks good and he's never going to have issues with paint failure.

I received the highest compliment one can hope for in the glamorous world of bottom painting when Tony asked me today if, after seeing the boat, I had sprayed the paint onto the hull. No, I assured him, it just looks that way, smooth and glossy is achievable with a roller!

But as you can see in the pics below all was good until the moment he was presented with the bill for the services. As they say in the boatyards, "no cash . . . no splash" so he had no choice but to fork over copious amounts of his almost worthless Canadian dollars before I sent him on his way from Kingston for his long cruise back to Canuckistan. Thanks Tony, really enjoyed working on your North River!

Tony's 24 NR - 30.jpg
Tony's 24 NR - 31.jpg
Tony's 24 NR - 32.jpg
Tony's 24 NR - 33.jpg
Tony's 24 NR - 34.jpg
Very nice trawler.
?1.why are hull anodoes mounted on studs suspended? I also see an anodoe flat against hull is that also a anodoe?
?2.why you have dual hull anodoes?
?3.why is lift eye so low?
?4.what are all your anodoes made of.

I recentely found out my 2004 johnson 175HP has 3 anodoes one inside gearcase/powertrim/above cav. plate maybe the gearcase anodoe is only available in saltwater engines?

I'm in process of bolting a teardrop stlye to the engine pod.
STB
Tookalook

Post by Tookalook »

Gorges Boat Tel me why the forward leaning windshield is so important
26 ft. Kingston Sea Sport
18 Custom Skiff
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Helps shed water and helps keep the Glare off of the glass [read, better visibility while on the water and there is more forward head room].
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by kmorin »

forward raking windscreen; some history for the record. This is not definitive but its all fact, even if it was many years ago that I worked on some of the original converted halibut 'schooners' from Seattle's fleet.

The design of the cabin of ocean going commercial fishing boats follows several paths or influences; power, both amounts and reliability; materials that allow design changes; and weather or sea keeping abilities of historic versus newer hulls' designs.

When the off-soundings (used to be if the bottom was deeper than a line of a couple hundred feet - you couldn't "take a sounding" so the term off-soundings) commercial fleet in the Puget Sound first began fishing the entire NW coast and deeper waters in the Gulf of Alaska, sail had only just given way to crude diesels that had to be stopped and the entire engine rolled the opposite direction to reverse the prop!

Most of the hulls were very narrow and deep in order to provide the lower resistance to waves and many designers/marine architects were still influenced by sailing hulls that needed to get their motivation from the wind: "blow boats" aren't notorious for beam.

Turning our attention to commercial fishing a bit- nobody but nobody thought they could catch crab in the N.Pacific and get it to market alive - they have to be cooked alive or they're not edible. So not much effort was spent on anything but flat fish- halibut were the big deal of the day- and the boats, with their narrow beam and very heavy Hp/Wt. ratio engines had plumb stems (no bow overhang to speak of!!) and little flam/flair to lift the hull in a head sea- and keep the sea from boarding the boat, were not really designed to keep Bering Sea weather off a narrow plumb stem, schooner's bow.

But due to a shortage of fish and overbuilding during the boom of that fishery off WA and Oregon... there were lots of these great looking Doug' fir planked beauties sitting at moorings in WmPuget's Sound. The great Wm. Garden (passed over the bar to Fiddler's Green) designed more than his share and they almost always brought their crew home safely, and very often with a payday in the hold.

When the first few 'crab tanks' showed up- welded aluminum and NON ALLOY 'boxes' in the middle of an 80'er that had a pump attached to constantly overflow the crab tank (fish hold) with fresh oxygenated seawater- the Seattle guys figured out they could make a huge payday by taking older (many then at moorings in Puget Sound for good) halibut schooners and get into 'crabbing'. First off of the Wa. and Oregon coast for dungies, but not many years later, farther afield, for Alaskan King, and Opelio crab- these guys stood to make some serious money.

Just one problem- the engines and hulls made sure they traveled very slowly and those boats could not outrun any weather-they couldn't keep pace with a glacier. Sometimes they were lucky to make a couple knots- if they were 'tanked' and loaded too. So the huge seas of the Gulf would board by the bow and almost all the wheel houses had plumb glass. (heritage design element not designed for purpose) The seas boarding the bow of these schooners were typical of the area - if you've seen The Deadliest Catch you have some idea of the lump common to this fishery?

The huge seas would take out a vertical windscreen. The halibut schooners of days gone by- with their very minimal bow 'spoon' or topsides flam or flare had small lift for the hull in any larger seaway. That meant the bow knifed in- the sea boarded and too often the helm's windscreen came inside with a wave. Not very seaworthy-but the pay days were multi-thousands for a couple days' trip!!! and in the 50'&60's that was some dollars. (millions today)

The older hulls were not designed to carry the loads put on them by their new crabber skippers- where a few tonnes of halibut and ice was a payday in the old flat fish days- the crabbers wanted to put ten times that on these old girls. Lovely older ladies that they were- they graciously did their best- but that meant their longitudinal moments of stability (pitch upward by the bow) were so far out of kilter they had to just stand still and get "hit in the chops" like a 80 year old grandmother in front of a some purse snatching thug in an American city today. Crime against the laws of physics and maritime design on the one hand like the other is a crime against civilization.

Then someone realized (don't know who) that if the windscreen was raked forward- the waves that broke over the bow would be parallel to the falling water! Water would run down the windscreen and even if a 'green one' broke directly over the bow- the glass could hold out.

At the same time double walled, bullet proof, safety glass in aluminum extrusion frames became pretty standard and the 'whirly gig' windshield wiper for the horizontal rain too.

By the time Marco began delivering their steel crabbers both forward and after cabin "boats" (loose term for a 90 -110' steel craft) raked pilot house windscreens were the norm.

The original reason for this design element was to stop the older boats with wood houses and hulls - which were being retrofit daily in Seattle- from losing their new windscreens. By raking the glass forward - a boarding sea, even one that breaks on the bow, is not near as likely to stove in the windscreen.

The look became popular, and as I think welder has mentioned? lots of room up there for all the RF gear, misc items like wiper motors, electronics of all types. And, if a 24'er is caught out in a real blow, and they're breaking- 10'ers and you've got to put your bow into them to get back in - well a boarding sea is less likely to take out your windshield and ruin your trip- even if you're not hauling a couple hundred thousand dollars of crab in an amidships live tank?

Just a little Alaskan/Seattle maritime history, to add to the OP's question. Hope it helps understanding where this current cabin 'line' came to be common practice?

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
Last edited by kmorin on Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: corrected poster reference in text
kmorin
BCTony

Post by BCTony »

Just seen the last three posts on my original thread. Very interesting!
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

3 plus years ago and how is is now?
Lester,
BCTony

Post by BCTony »

welder wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:18 am 3 plus years ago and how is is now?
It will be five years this summer and almost 1000 engine hours from when I took delivery. I am very pleased with the boat. The bare aluminum - no-paint- finish is oxidising nicely. I had a bit of rampant corrosion in one deck fish box the cause for which I was not able to establish. There is a separate post concerning this. I stopped the corrosion with acid and then applied epoxy paint and since then there has been no continuance. Apart from this I have had no real issues. If 'I knew then what I know now' most of the problems I have had would have been avoided. Quite simply the dealer did not perform the PDI promised and I had to deal with a list of minor issues - leaking plumbing, leaking hatches, leaking steering hydraulics, leaking windows - infact anything that could leak - leaked, with the exception of the hull. I shall know better next time although I am not itching to upgrade. As I have dealt with these unwelcome issues I have continually upgraded and customised the boat to my purposes. The boat is very stable and seaworthy. With twin Yamaha F200's it is quick and with averages of 2mpg and 34mph reasonably economical. When it comes time to re-power I shall consider upping the horsepower another 100hp or even two (I might be ageing but the boy-racer is still kicking!). I run four separate downriggers and fish four rods single handed and when needs be the boat is big enough for another two, three or even four anglers. I am pleased with the boat - but not pleased it engages me with the marine industry.
BCTony

Post by BCTony »

Steve the Brain wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:06 am
?1.why are hull anodoes mounted on studs suspended? I also see an anodoe flat against hull is that also a anodoe?
?2.why you have dual hull anodoes?
?3.why is lift eye so low?
?4.what are all your anodoes made of.

I recentely found out my 2004 johnson 175HP has 3 anodoes one inside gearcase/powertrim/above cav. plate maybe the gearcase anodoe is only available in saltwater engines?

I'm in process of bolting a teardrop stlye to the engine pod.
STB
To answer the questions in this post with apologies for delay and reply being out of order:-

1) This is very much an example of 'Chaps' attention to detail. Hull anodes mounted this way suspended out on studs means that both sides of the anode are exposed. What appears to be an anode on the underside of the hull is in fact a 'reference cell' for the Electro-Guard cathodic protection monitoring system installed.
2) The new anodes and fixing system replaced what came from the manufacturer. It would now appear that perhaps one anode would be sufficient.
3) These eyes are for trailer tie-down placed there by the manufacturer.
4) Aluminum - and to add further comment to answer 2) it is now established that you cannot 'over-anode' using aluminum anodes.
BCTony

Post by BCTony »

Six years ago, this coming September, CHAPS completed an excellent bottom paint job on my boat as detailed in this thread. Since then, my boat has been in marine moorage every day and only out of the water for engine service. While I had intended to return to Agate Pass Marine in 2020 for bottom paint renewal, Covid restrictions made that impossible.
 My boat was out of water today for engine service and as can been seen the bottom paint is still good, worn but not in need of urgent replacement. A testament to CHAPS excellent work at Agate Pass Marine. Hopefully I shall be able to cruise down to Bainbridge Island for renewal in 2022.
 Great work CHAPS! I look forward to seeing you again later this year.

Attachments
20381.jpg
20381.jpg (57.07 KiB) Viewed 5567 times
20383.jpg
20383.jpg (46.79 KiB) Viewed 5567 times
20384.jpg
20384.jpg (57.34 KiB) Viewed 5567 times
20386.jpg
20386.jpg (40.91 KiB) Viewed 5567 times
20387.jpg
20387.jpg (52.14 KiB) Viewed 5567 times
20388.jpg
20388.jpg (51.69 KiB) Viewed 5567 times
20389.jpg
20389.jpg (53.64 KiB) Viewed 5567 times
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Awesome follow up on the paint job, nothing like a quality job.
Lester,
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Thanks Tony! Looks like it just needs a light scrub and she's ready to go for a couple more seasons at least.
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
BCTony

Post by BCTony »

Chaps wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:05 am Thanks Tony! Looks like it just needs a light scrub and she's ready to go for a couple more seasons at least.

What - do you mean it does not need any anti-foul at the moment? That would be great!
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Do you still leave it in the water year-round? Looks like the paint hasn't thinned-out anywhere down to the epoxy primer and I don't see evidence of hard growth so you might be good for another year or two. On the other hand, since you are hauled out a refresh of the anti-foul wouldn't hurt. If you want to do that don't let anyone start doing heavy sanding on the bottom, just scrub it clean of the slime, do a light abrasive scuff of the existing paint and then recoat with whatever we used on it at the time. I think it was Pettit Vivid black. I would likely have used that because I believed at the time that you would be able to get that in Canada in the future for recoating. Your anodes look good, make sure they are aluminum!
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
BCTony

Post by BCTony »

It's back in the water now, and, yes - the boat is in wet moorage (water) all year round. All anodes have been changed, aluminum. I believe anti-foul has been touched up previously with Trilux II because we cannot get Pettit Vivid up here. I will see how the year goes and try to get the boat down to you for attention. Thanks Bob.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic