Pacific deck question?

A Place to Show and Tell
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Pacific deck question?

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Was wondering and maybe Kevin has some knowledge about this subject.

Would this:
http://www.boatdepot.com/p-134/todd-boa ... e-station#

Would this Be okay to mount on my 3/16th" deck plate?

Is the Pacific 3/16th" deck thickness adequate to hold this amount of possible pressure / leverage? (My dad thinks NOT without some kind of big back up underneath.

But then again. I saw Pezzers Pacific photos when his deck was being added to his boat and Pacific has (side to side?) aluminum runners under the deck to add rigidity, I believe. At least thats what I saw....

gas tank no deck:

Deck getting ready to lay in boat:

Deck going on:

Looks like spacing of any bolt holes could be a real problem??????

And, I'm not all that sure if I can get underneath the deck to add any fasteners. Maybe, via the gas tank fuel sending unit deck plate. I could reach up (probably not) and add washers and nuts. Not sure if my hand and arm would fit between the tank and deck to add such.

My quandry......but this Todd Battle station is on my Short list. Besides just doing a NON space saving deck chair of some sorts.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Re: Pacific deck question?

Post by AlloyToy »

If it were me, and you were going to only surface mount it then I would make a larger diameter plate to thru bolt this "post" to then have a ton of bolts to fasten the larger plate to the deck via drilling, tapping, and tef-gel

Or weld it

Why not a good quality swivel holder and a bent butt :idea: wicked pissah style

Lemme know if you need help Capt. Dave I know a guy with a few CNC's :beer:
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I already have straight butts galore.....

I sent an email to the guy in S. Florida who makes these:

Then all I'd have to do is use a turn-buckle to hold it place from a eye drilled and tapped into the deck......(with Tefgel)

I asked him if that gimbal is tough enough for a 10 pound rod and reel and a rookie behind it.

Then, even the wobbly could drag a BIG one to the boat.

Oh, what a delema I started.

I can handle any fish out there. But ALWAYS have to remember that the office dudes that get out and play once a month aren't like me.

A harness, and stand-up isn't something that a 350 pounder or a 130 pounder can jump into with in 6 seconds.

The battle station would LOOK so cool.....and say, This guys into serious whoopazz. But so would a High Deck fighting chair.

CNC guys are like a good German Beer. Ya hide them, from everyone. And savor what they can do for ya....I had a friend that died a few years ago, who ran a CNC for a aircraft Galley Company here in J'ville. He used to make his own Jethead lures in his spare time :!: :!: :!: :!:
For fun and expierment.
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Garelick makes this.....if I have the space underneath the deck, and could get under there via the fuel sender deck hole.

welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Weld another plate to the deck that is larger in diameter than the base plate on the chair then drill and tap.

Note: DO NOT DRILL INTO GAS TANK!

When done, apply non skid to new deck plates.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
THEMOORINGMAN

Post by THEMOORINGMAN »

I have a fishing chair like that, but lower, and it's always an accident waiting to happen. When running someone always sits in it and they end up slowly sliding/jumping to the stern..... or tipping over. If you want it, $100. Seat, pads, and aluminum base. Don't say I didn't warn you though....
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

welder wrote:Weld another plate to the deck that is larger in diameter than the base plate on the chair then drill and tap.

Note: DO NOT DRILL INTO GAS TANK!

When done, apply non skid to new deck plates.
DOH :doh: thanks W, I think I'll not do that.....double :doh: :doh:

Mooringman,

That's why the chair in the photog is HIGH..to fight fish over obstruction. And would "IF" I wanted to do that, would be fastened to deck with a big turnbuckle. And not for sitting and lounging in.

My last folding deck chairs got ruined by a 300 pounder sitting in it as we ran thru 4 footers with a 2 second interval. He bent it and squashed the hinges. I don't want any low pedestal chair.

I'd own that chair in the previous post if it was over a grand!!!!!!! By the time ya add shipping. I'll buy a bar stool and make my own rod gimbal before i was that INSANE.

A fishing charter is normally $400.....after all is said and done I make maybe $200 clear. 5 charters for a high dollar bar stool with a swivel and rod gimbal. That guy making them is INSANE. Not me.

THATS SOUTH FLORIDA FOR YA. NUTTY MONEY LAND.
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by kmorin »

Catp'n Dave, the question isn't if the deck can handle a new install, its where on the deck are you putting it compared to the framing.

For example, the pic show Pacific uses different stiffeners in different places, if you skip them all with your install, its possible your deck will flex. BUT... if you were to plan the install to bolt to deck frames (or as Les suggests added a doubler) you're not going to have excessive flex.

If I were doing it, and I'm not there and for reasons not clear your local welders seem not to understand aluminum boats, I'd put a deck plate in. I'd cut the deck out to fit the base, I'd tap a thicker (3/8" or 1/2" plate with SS thread-serts) and weld it flush to the deck, then when the chair is out, I'd use SS set screws to fill the thread-serts and cover with sealant. When it came time to put the chair back? Acetone the sealant use a hex key to remove the set screws and install the base with plenty of Tef-gel or other goop.

The question is the span of plate and framing that will have to hold the lever arm of the seat and a 250 lb 'guest' (puker). The force on the deck is the ht of the seat times the wt of the 'guest'. That is the force the framing will have to resist. The frames are most often designed to hold up a load that is much less.

What about calling Pacific and asking what they'd do.

When I know I will have seat pedestals I usually put in pipe sockets anchored below deck to the frame of both the deck supports and the longs.

Not sure I'm helping, your question is too open ended without knowing framing and location of base of seat.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
THEMOORINGMAN

Post by THEMOORINGMAN »

Does jetty weld?
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Jetty don't be welding, he be fishing.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Thanks all for the insights.

I'm fishing enough that I can't do anything that'll take down time, right now.

Yes, all I do is fish, and do alot of thinking about what I'd love to do.

My mind is always going. If I could weld and knew anything about fabrication and such. I'd be outa biz. because my boat would be some thing possibly unfamiliar to the Parks, of Pacific boats. It would look like a Mutant!

I have ideas from a Snap on "fort" to bait wells, to fighting chairs and battle stations, and a different rod holder system.

It was a good idea. But way too much unknowns and fabrication and $$$.

I bought on Ebay yet another cheap Stand-up fish fighting harness, used but like brand new for $60.00

-----------------

Kevin,

I wanted to RE-DO my acid wash in Feb. and between weather and fishing never really got 3 days of time to even do it.
(needed 3 days, because I made the MISTAKE of putting Sharkhides aluminum protectant on over the acid wash. So, again, the palm sander, zylene gallons, and a box of green scotch-brites will have my hands sore taking that crap off (like I did the original Nyalic) so I can re-acid wash!
I have more Shark-hide sitting in the garage, since last time I used it too weak and the boat looks streaky. So I have that to do also.

When I had the boat built, if I knew then what I want now. I would have had them do it right the first time there. But again, I was on a major budget.
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by kmorin »

Capt'n Dave, I don't want to hear any remarks that disparage 'snap on tops' I've built 'em an the owners love 'em and for an entirely open skiff they change the use by adding months to the beginning and end of the normal (very short) season here.

I built mine to add a guard deck, and trunk and a helm aft the trunk with a hard top. Most didn't have an aft bulkhead, but they did provide weather helm. One skipper had his (to be) Mrs with him, he misjudged a roller that originated in Oahu, say 40'-50' maybe more and buried the bow in the next face. He said he remembers green waterline on the windscreen just as his Mate dropped like a sack next to him. He was a little conflicted as the held the helm whether to go down to the bilge for her or hold the helm; but the skiff pitched up by the bow instead of taking the comber on board (hard top/ 'snap on camper' ). When the bow as clear he grabbed Mrs, form the bilge and kind of roughly stood her up. She was little bit unstable. (She later told me she fainted when the "whole front went into the wave")

Thankfully the skiff rose out of the swell face and he got his first Mate by the arm I'll assume som cold bilge water had some helpful effects? he got her up, ran a line around her underarms and to the hand hold on the helm bulkhead and kept his head into the swell and made it back, the next few hours were a little bit exciting.

Your idea of a 'camper shell fort' for a welded boat is spot on, works fine and I know a couple that thank the Good Lord for theirs one night about 30 miles south of Port Graham (where he had no business in that flat bottomed skiff with a couple of 50's!) in a blow; they should known was their due for being in the location. (Skipper did know better but in his bullet proof days and nearly paid the price)

It is not far fetched, or even hard to build a clamp-on, snap-on, bolt-on 'fort' and I did the first one in 1979, and half dozen since.

Your ideas are totally right on, don't discount the ideas just because you guys live and fish in the tropics, they work fine where the water chills then kills with just a few minutes contact.

Cheers,
Kevin
kmorin
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Problem is for a guy like me, and many people is where to "hang it".

My idea has always been hang it like the faberglass top on an old Mercedes Sports car. My Uncle had an old one, and loved the convertable aspect.
So that's how it remained most of the time in the garage. But, he had the faberglass top sitting on two boards, with pulley's on screw eyes in the roof, and lines coming down to cleats on the side walls of the garage.

He and my aunt would add the top via lowering it down on the car with the boards and sliding them from underneath. pull the boards back up to the roof, snap on the top and drive out the garage.

That's my BIG TIME joke to charter customers when it's cold and windy here, as we blast down the river in the morning.

I tell'em, "Sorry, I forgot to "snap on" my aluminum top this morning".

Great idea for someone with either a GIANT strong tree, and or space to hang it. So the boat can go underneath and then the top SNAPPED on.

I live on a postage stamp, but am lucky enough to have a two car garage (shop) and a 28x14' x14' metal "boat port" in front of that garage.

And still no where to keep my snap on fort.

Seems Alaskans always have. Many outbuildings, acreage, and money, and modes of transport. So, Glad to hear my so called Idea, wasn't just a wimsical one.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic