Fragile Alloy?

A Place to Show and Tell
Kelper

Fragile Alloy?

Post by Kelper »

If anybody asks you how durable Alloy is, you can refer them to me......

I spent the day chasing bears with a friend. Chasing coastal black bears involves glassing beaches and dropping off the shooter to make the stalk. And, the Alaskan shoreline isn't exactly sandy.. I musta crashed into 50 rocks with my skiff today while quickly beaching the skiff, but it took it like a champ. Don't try this with your NON ALLOY rig.

(my friend and his bear he shot today. Made a stalk on the biggest bear I'd ever seen, but it disappeared before we could get into position)
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Way to go Kelper and friend..... You guys up in Alaska are living the outdoor dream. Beautiful Rugged State ..... Beautiful rugged Aluminum Alloy Boat.

Mark
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

kelper, what was the weight?

Now that would be cool!!!!!! I'd love to see the look on the faces of all the "do gooders" here in NE..........running a boat ashore then jumping off with a rifle :D
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I'm no hunter, tried it. Wasn't for me. More of a Observer.

But very cool story, worthy of a Larry Czonka TV show. Less Larry....who needs him!!!!!

Get a ram mount, attach a Video camera on boat for the times you can't hold it. And make your own "show".

That's what I wanna do, just have to get the right day. (fishing)
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

How many bear are you allowed to take a year in AK. ?

That sure looks like a rush. have ya tried it with a Bow ?
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Kelper

Post by Kelper »

AlloyToy wrote:kelper, what was the weight?

Now that would be cool!!!!!! I'd love to see the look on the faces of all the "do gooders" here in NE..........running a boat ashore then jumping off with a rifle :D
I don't know the weight. We measure bears by squared hides up here and for the life of me, I couldn't even come up with an estimate. I'll have a measurement in a few hours though. It was a younger Boar.

As long as you keep all those "NE Do-Gooders" over by you, I'll be happy. :D
Kelper

Post by Kelper »

welder wrote:How many bear are you allowed to take a year in AK. ?

That sure looks like a rush. have ya tried it with a Bow ?
2 per year. It's really fun and gets some excitement going after the winter. I'm in trophy mode, so I might not even shoot one this year. I ain't pulling the trigger unless the bear makes me weak in the knees. I get just as much enjoyment taking guys out for their bears. I had all the fun, but now I don't have to skin the bear and deal with all the meat!

I have a bow but haven't used it yet on black bears. We don't bait so it would be a spot/stalk deal. The art of beaching a boat to stalk a bear is MUCH harder than you can imagine. Wind, sound, and irregular shoreline makes it a challenge. BrianW on here is a master at beach hunting, and I'm sure he'll chime in. The deal that would worry me about a bow is that the bears are just a few steps from some of the nastiest clear cut a guy can imagine. Finding a bear in that would be a nightmare.
Kelper

Post by Kelper »

JETTYWOLF wrote:I'm no hunter, tried it. Wasn't for me. More of a Observer.

But very cool story, worthy of a Larry Czonka TV show. Less Larry....who needs him!!!!!

Get a ram mount, attach a Video camera on boat for the times you can't hold it. And make your own "show".

That's what I wanna do, just have to get the right day. (fishing)
"North to Alaska" isn't taken very seriously around here... I usually watch the show for the comedy... :lol:
Kelper

Post by Kelper »

mojomizer wrote:Way to go Kelper and friend..... You guys up in Alaska are living the outdoor dream. Beautiful Rugged State ..... Beautiful rugged Aluminum Alloy Boat.

Mark
It is a sexy boat.....(grin)
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

As long as you keep all those "NE Do-Gooders" over by you, I'll be happy. :D
Tell me about it.....we're infested with tree huggers do gooders. Was out at 4:30 AM a few days last week stalking/calling turkey's.........you should see the looks I get when I was getting into my PU dressed in camo sporting a 12ga pump!!!!!

"OH MY GOD A GUN!!!!!" :o
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

Kelper wrote: "North to Alaska" isn't taken very seriously around here... I usually watch the show for the comedy... :lol:
I agree. I watch it for the scenery and "Smokey Joes" cooking tips. Great looking bear! Cruising the shores for bears is my absolute favorite past time. Those young bears in the spring are excellent table fare. I have a friend that pressure cooks them then cans them. Fantastic! You really ought to give chasing them with a bow. The rush is fantastic! The rush following them into the devils club, alders, and other foliage is also something. Any more pictures? I cannot wait to get out! Spring is a bit behind out in Prince William Sound, but it will happen.

Well done!
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Way to go Kelper. I know exactly what your talking about. I am from Vancouver Island and we are riddled with black bears right now. All time high population and not enough folks willing to go out and hunt them. We are allowed 2 a year as well and the one that fellow got looks like just the right size for eating. I usually make pepperoni and ground meat out of them for mexican dishes etc. excellent eating in the spring. I just purchased that 23' Edwing that was posted on ifish and it has a front opening window (so we can let folks off on the beach) and I hope to have a few boat hunting trips in it's near future. Thanks for sharing.

John
Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

KELPER,

Nice going on the bear. What part of Alaska are you hunting there?

My Montana hunt was virtually uneventaful because of the late snow and cold weather there. I would like to try a Alaskan Black Bear hunt next spring with the bow.

People say why do you hunt? I say, because my heart pumps fast and furious when I a stalking up on any animal with my traditional bow, GOLF just does'nt do that for me, in fact I am praying that it rains tomorrow so I don't have to play golf with a corp. client (I golf on protest, three time per year). I would rather WORK than play GOLF! Great going, is that a PS??? Marty
ImageImage"IRONWOODTUNA" the Alloy Sportfisherman Battleship!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic