16' aluminum skiff

A Place to Show and Tell
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Re: 16' aluminum skiff

Post by JETTYWOLF »

downline wrote:I had the good fortune to visit Bob at his shop on Monday. I liked the 16 foot skiff layout, and obvious sturdiness, that I am looking at switching from the 16 I had plans for, and building his design. I took pictures but even after cropping they are to big for this forum, so until I figure that out I will just say I like the concept and simplicity of Bob's 16 and believe there is much that can be done by a builder to make it exactly what they want in a shallow water skiff. D

Someone is in need of "photo-bucket membership" (free) where you can edit and size photo's....or a down load of adobe photo shop?

I like to see more of Bob's Skiff too....C'C'mon Bob :popcorn:
welderbob
Donator ,15

Post by welderbob »

Well except for a few rod holders, the skiff is done. The" last one" as the customer has named her is waiting for a 30 HP Honda tiller. outboard A trailer has been ordered and will be here in two weeks. At that point we'll get an accurate weight and some pictures.

Have another one to build, this one will have some sort motorcycle seat type console.
Attachments
skiff transom.JPG
skiff transom.JPG (107.63 KiB) Viewed 4629 times
skiff acid washed.JPG
skiff acid washed.JPG (108.1 KiB) Viewed 4629 times
skiff floor A.JPG
skiff floor A.JPG (89.57 KiB) Viewed 4629 times
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

MO' MO' MO' pics :!: :!:

Looks like a super NE Florida swamp-marsh-creek boat to me.

When it's all said and done. Even if ya don't want too I'd like to know the "average" purchase price.

As you well know, I need a "spare" boat in the fleet.

Maybe someday.
Never hurts to dream. :thumbsup:

Whats wrong with welded tubes up underneath the gunnels, on angles pre-set by owner? Instead, if what you meant was holes with holders dropped in and screwed down. Welded in would be such nicer fit and finish. That's what this angler would like. :mrgreen:
welderbob
Donator ,15

Post by welderbob »

I think there are a few more refinements. I'm thinking that the basic boat is $5 K. At this point we have more time than that in this boat ,but it is the first one. Customer is supplying the rod holders he likes. I can weld yours in.

Welderbob
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by kmorin »

welderbob, 5 k is too low, doesn't matter if you make dozens, I think it should be closer to 6.5-7k minimum as the jon boats and other stamped skiffs are in the 5k range. I don't think 5K covers the real cost of this skiff, and I know it's the first one. I've built my share of skiffs and I know we have to haul the metal up from Sea/Puget Sound so I'm expecting to pay more for the metal- but I'm not voting for giving your work away.

If the guys can built a Rocksalt275, then they're not learners, so the time on this skiff model may get a little better but not enough to turn a 5k corner! With that crew, to make anything like this, the time is not going to drop that much. The bottom rails can be stitched and left open aft to flush and fill- no detriment to skiff or performance and a little time saver. There's not tie rails or other fittings an they take time, so I'm still not believing this skiff for 5k , but if you insist then the guy next door may buy half a dozen and sell 'em for a profit!

If she's under 20' LOA will you run into CG/DOT/Homeland regulations regarding level flotation? I'm not up to speed on that issue but in your neck of the woods it seems a likely concern? Foam in the voids with vents to pull for the test so you can flood the voids according to regs? I personally feature 'nitrogen filled stressed box beams' that must remain sealed and filled with nitrogen for the 'integrity' of the build. But then the Coasties here are mostly on our side - unlike other areas where there is "mission creep".

If folks want a welded skiff then you need to be there tomorrow to sell them one, not inline for government financial help!

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
welderbob
Donator ,15

Post by welderbob »

Hi Kevin,
Sorry I'm just getting back to this thread. Yes 5K is no home run. You are right that it probably needs to be closer to 6.5K. At this point no one is ringing the phone off the hook for these.
Bill Lincoln and I have had a brief discussion about the while USCG regulations. It doesn't pay at this point to even ask the question because I won't like the answer. The customer I built this one for bought 6 boats from us. He wanted something like this to putt around the bay for himself. For now I'll take the beating.

Welderbob
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic