PACIFIC OWNERS....Question?

A Place to Show and Tell
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

PACIFIC OWNERS....Question?

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Hey ya'll with Pacifics.

Does any of ya have those funky little "drains" inside your Transom, that on the outside are above the scuppers and too the outside of that space?

They are small screwed in plugs "threaded" that are a HEX on the inside and have a check-valve ball inside them?

Supposed to "drain water that will get inside the "False transom" where your engine wiring is and maybe your washdown pump etc.

When mine were new, as the boat was new, they worked and when I washed out that space inside the false transom, they did drain it....some what.

BUT, now I believe over the years they are letting in some sea water. Not alot. Just enough to PISS ME OFF. As I like that space in there to be squeeky clean and DRY!!

My washdown pump is in that space. So I checked it for leaks. Couldn't find any. Checked the fittings, checked the hose bib on the bulkhead where my wash down pump outlets to the hose connection.

I WOULD HAVE PROVIDED A PHOTO OR EVEN A VIDEO. BUT I HAVE CAPPED THOSE LITTLE BALL-CHECK VALVES OFF WITH A PLASTIC CAP ON THE OUTSIDE FILLED WITH THE FOAMING GORRILA GLUE TO MAKE A TIGHT SEAL.

I think via the boat splashing and frolicing in the water a bit of water was getting past those funky little check valves.

If it stays bone dry in the space inside. I fixed it. If not......gotta keep looking.

If you have these take a look at them. I see no way of getting them out there. Looks as if you have to ruin them to just replace them with a threaded "solid" plug, as they are just a ring with a ball valve in the center and a small SS piece of metal "thick wire" holding the check ball in place.

I know many of you don't have them, and I know some of you should. My boats a 2006. And I'll assume they are still doing this technique???

A email to Mrs. Parks at Pacific maybe in order. Or if the plastic caps from the inside of a Marvels mystery Oil bottle, and some Gorilla Glue has temporarily fixed the water pass thru. I can live with that shade tree fix.

And if you have not looked inside that compartment lately in your Pacific boat, it just may have a gallon of water sloshing around.
Which would make me go nuts.

I'm thinking of cutting in some holes and putting at least one hatch of some kind to the left or right so I can better utilize that space. YES, there's already a door there. But in front of my door is my pump, and chase pipe and my livewell "timer switch". So getting to the far left or right inside there is a pain in the butt......with no real access to any "keeping stuff in there".

Does any of this make sense without full blown photos and or video to ya'll that have these check valves :?: :?: :?: :?:
capesteve

Re: PACIFIC OWNERS....Question?

Post by capesteve »

Funny I occasionally see some fine damp sand in there and never could figure how it got in. Never see any significant water accumulation. I'll take a closer look. If you could post a picture of exactly where these thangs are that would help....
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Hmmmm that sand maybe, salt??

Yeah mine are all covered up now, doing some R&D to see if that area in there stays dry now. After many years I know there's gotta be grime and even slime around those little check valve balls, that over time will leak and let in a little water.

My boats a 2006.....run hard, but taken care of. I have a big metal car port 14' high, so I can work on my boat any time. Usually in it at least 4 times a day even when I'm home just hanging around.

It's what my life revolves around. So I notice shet :!: :!:

Post a pic. if you have them, and are a Pacific / BLM owner.

In the corners of the stern next to scuppers on outside....used as drains for the space inside false transom area. Where your wire/cable chase pipe is....if not more, like a wash down pump, etc.

You don't have them if you don't know what I'm talking about. They are pretty damn conspicuous.
capesteve

Post by capesteve »

No its like a thin film of slightly damp fine brown beach sand not salt. I have never seen or heard any water sloshing around or pooling in there, and don't think I have the drain valves you are describing, just the scuppers opening to the main deck. I'll post a picture if / when it ever happens again.
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

mystery water in back hatch compartment of my pacific.....ended!

for weeks I couldn't find where the water was coming from. yes my washdown pump is in the stern compartment but never saw any water coming out of pump.

so I pulled out the pump and pressurized it and sure enough.

my water in that compartment mystery is solved.

the underside of my Sureflow wash down pump water was pushing out between the pump part and the motor.

tried to fix, couldn't get screws out to take pump part off motor.

a real fix came when I went on amazon.com and got a new pump for $108 delivered........West Marine, I mean RIPOFF Marine! $165.00 if the store even has one.

SOOOOOO, mysteries can be solved with MONEY.

I thought so.

Pump lasted HARD LABOR doing washdown and livewell pumping for 7-3/4 years. NOT BAD.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic