24 Almar S/R

A Place to Show and Tell
Gypseas
Donator 14, 15

24 Almar S/R

Post by Gypseas »

Well, some may recall I got this new to me Almar just a few shorts month ago.

The two happiest days in a mans life is when he buys a boat and he sells one. Sold the Design Concepts a couple weeks ago, sad to see her go (ahhh... the memories!!) and still in the figuring out what I want to do with the new to me Almar.

Couple things to deal with: 1.she has a jet for propulsion (Hamilton Jet HJ212 turned by a carbureted big block Ford 460) and 2.I keep my boats moored in the salt. The HJ website recommends the HJ212 not be used/moored in salt instead a HJ213 should be used for that.

Couple options: considered buying the HJ213 at the expense of around $12k USD, but then would still be stuck with an old gas guzzling power plant, which shouldn't be too bad for repairs/maintenance/rebuilding. The other option, a more popular one among my buds/myself, is to repower with a 250-300hp outboard. However since I haven't won the lottery yet, it would have to be done on a budget. BTW my mom won't buy me a new outboard, I tried.... :roflmao:

What I am looking for is advice on whether an O/S bracket would be a better choice, or cut the swim platform out, beef up the transom and build a motor well if and when I go the outboard route. The transom as it sits right now, would not be a good candidate for an O/S bracket, in my opinion, due to it is only 3/16 thick and the jet was designed to push into the bottom of the boat where the mounting plate is installed.

Thank you for you replies gents
Chaps
Donator '09

Re: 24 Almar S/R

Post by Chaps »

When I repowered from twin 4 cyl mercruisers I hacked out a huge section of the transom and replaced with 1/2" plate and a bit of additional reinforcement in order to hang a bracket and V6 o/b. It's do-able, hey its aluminum, re-engineer the thing sufficiently, have a competent welder do the work and you are down the road with it. Doing a transom cut-out and splash well is a bit more complicated IMO and you lose a bunch of strength already built-in with your existing transom gunwale structure.
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Chtucker

Post by Chtucker »

Cleaned up really well!
Gypseas
Donator 14, 15

Post by Gypseas »

Chaps wrote:When I repowered from twin 4 cyl mercruisers I hacked out a huge section of the transom and replaced with 1/2" plate and a bit of additional reinforcement in order to hang a bracket and V6 o/b. It's do-able, hey its aluminum, re-engineer the thing sufficiently, have a competent welder do the work and you are down the road with it. Doing a transom cut-out and splash well is a bit more complicated IMO and you lose a bunch of strength already built-in with your existing transom gunwale structure.
"Re-engineer" read weld in lots of gussets...check and yes I researched the project topics here on ABB, your repower thread included, and boy I tell ya, one doesn't really get the level of difficulty of starting to cut holes into one's boat for a major project until one has to do it. I suppose I could take it in a weld shop and just have 'er done but the voices in my head tell me that I can get'er done. Well some tell me otherwise :rotfl:
Got a tiny bit of a handle on aluminum welding... not coming out very pretty but pretty strong I hope (miller 211 w spoolgun)

Thing is if an O/S bracket is to be installed it will get the motor some 30 inches away from the hull which has something like a delta planning pad I think it's called, incidentally the same pad serves as the base for the jet intake. Do you install a hull extension or a true bracket that does not touch the water.

With these dimensions what size outboard would you install 20, 25 or 30 inch?
where 14 is width of pad, 13 is water line, 19 bottom to just underside of swim platform which may come off at some point.
Gypseas
Donator 14, 15

Post by Gypseas »

Gypseas
Donator 14, 15

Post by Gypseas »

Chtucker wrote:Cleaned up really well!
Thanks! a bit of elbow grease and about a gallon of stripper plus a bunch of green scotch brites did the trick
speedboats

Post by speedboats »

While you may need to purchase the HJ213, you can sell the HJ212, so you are only out of pocket the difference. The HJ213 will indeed fit onto the same hole.

How long is the boat to be moored for?

The main differences between the two;
-213 has a hydraulic reverse actuator, with the hydraulic pump mounted to the side of the intake housing
-213 has a larger diameter mainshaft and of harder material
-213 has impeller range better suited for diesel motors

The HJ212 can be fitted with a anode kit to make it 'salt water compatible'. I guess it really comes down to how long you intend to moor it for.

I'd consider losing the 454 and installing a later model 5.4L or 6.0L motor. Serious reduction in weight without loss in power, they are a dime a dozen and easy to get parts for and work on.
Napa Mike

Post by Napa Mike »

I don't claim any particular expertise--but I thought of a practical factor. Given what you like to do with your boat, would a water jet be particularly helpful? If not, I would lean towards an offshore bracket with some floatation, but perhaps not all the way down to the bottom of the delta pad. By the way, nice job on the cleanup. I still need to claim my finders' fee!

Cheers,
Mike
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

I would avoid the temptation to do the major surgery yourself. I thought I was an ok welder but quickly found out that migging old alloy plating takes considerable skill far beyond working with clean, fresh aluminum. Hiring Nichols Diversified to put my transom together (and deck, hatches, etc) was money well spent.
Gypseas
Donator 14, 15

Post by Gypseas »

speedboats wrote:While you may need to purchase the HJ213, you can sell the HJ212, so you are only out of pocket the difference. The HJ213 will indeed fit onto the same hole.

How long is the boat to be moored for?

The main differences between the two;
-213 has a hydraulic reverse actuator, with the hydraulic pump mounted to the side of the intake housing
-213 has a larger diameter mainshaft and of harder material
-213 has impeller range better suited for diesel motors

The HJ212 can be fitted with a anode kit to make it 'salt water compatible'. I guess it really comes down to how long you intend to moor it for.

I'd consider losing the 454 and installing a later model 5.4L or 6.0L motor. Serious reduction in weight without loss in power, they are a dime a dozen and easy to get parts for and work on.
Looked into it however the 212 has a bit of surface corrosion and even though I had it listed for sale for couple weeks it had shown no interest so far.

I keep my boat in the water year round taking it out for cleaning or maintenance/repairs. Used to run OB until last boat that just sold was an I/O and hated the amount of nooks and crannies barnacles will get into. The cleaning process was horrendous. I don't mind the 454 for it being a simple engine to work on with lots of room for access.

cheers
Gypseas
Donator 14, 15

Post by Gypseas »

Napa Mike wrote:I don't claim any particular expertise--but I thought of a practical factor. Given what you like to do with your boat, would a water jet be particularly helpful? If not, I would lean towards an offshore bracket with some floatation, but perhaps not all the way down to the bottom of the delta pad. By the way, nice job on the cleanup. I still need to claim my finders' fee!

Cheers,
Mike
In our area The Coast Guard have a couple vessels equipped with jets and from what I have been told it is from a safety standpoint. During a search and rescue mission they don't want any more props in the water ripping things apart, and obviously the gas consumption is not top priority for them. Which makes sense to me.

I was told by the fab guy, that eventually is going to complete the work on my boat, that the offshore bracket needs to be a hull extension, otherwise the boat will porpoise like crazy. I can't comment on that ... yet :!:

As for your finders fee... :clap: I will take you fishing should you come visiting up here :beer:
Gypseas
Donator 14, 15

Post by Gypseas »

Chaps wrote:I would avoid the temptation to do the major surgery yourself. I thought I was an ok welder but quickly found out that migging old alloy plating takes considerable skill far beyond working with clean, fresh aluminum. Hiring Nichols Diversified to put my transom together (and deck, hatches, etc) was money well spent.
Chaps
Thanks for bringing me to my senses. :doh:

I got quoted around 3500 to get the jet covered up and extending the hull as offshore bracket and thinking I am going to go for it.
This project might not be the right one to learn how to weld :rotfl:

Anyhow the ball is rolling

Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Gypseas wrote:
Chaps
Thanks for bringing me to my senses. :doh:

I got quoted around 3500 to get the jet covered up and extending the hull as offshore bracket and thinking I am going to go for it.
This project might not be the right one to learn how to weld :rotfl:

Anyhow the ball is rolling
Good call. Your life depends on that job being done properly.

The full hull extension will be nice, is it going to just be the width of the pump intake plate? I thought about doing that but I really wanted to try the Porta bracket and I'm really glad I did though the boat did porpoise a bit until I added the little trim tab angles.
Gypseas
Donator 14, 15

Post by Gypseas »

Pulling things off
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

That engine and drive pkg has to be worth a few bucks. When I did my repower I found a Mercruiser shop that was willing to remove the 4 cyl i/o's (Merc 470's), drives, and all associated gear for free and they paid me a decent number for all the stuff.
DSC01107.jpg
DSC01107.jpg (23.83 KiB) Viewed 26016 times
DSC01110.jpg
DSC01110.jpg (27.64 KiB) Viewed 26016 times
Gypseas
Donator 14, 15

Post by Gypseas »

I am trying to sell them motor and jetdrive maybe a bit more effort is due... meanwhile the old is coming out, surprisingly looking pretty good for its age

Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Yeah, looks fresh like a pro rebuild. What motor and HP is it?
speedboats

Post by speedboats »

Pity the shipping is uneconomic, otherwise I'd be keen on the jet drive. The motor is a whole different story... the distributor is at the wrong end! :mrgreen:

Redline have always done a tidy job with their marinising packaging
Gypseas
Donator 14, 15

Post by Gypseas »

Chaps wrote:Yeah, looks fresh like a pro rebuild. What motor and HP is it?
Engine is a BB Ford Redline 460 3some hundred hps

Might be able to install that hot tub after all :roflmao:

Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Looks like a pretty straight forward transom rebuild & hull extension project
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Now you will have one hellava fish box. :beer:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Gypseas
Donator 14, 15

Post by Gypseas »

Not a lot of working on the boat today, the boss asked for some fresh fish and I had no choice but to go get some. :thumbsup:
cheers

Napa Mike

Post by Napa Mike »

nice load of fish! whereabouts do you fish? I used to take an annual trip to Uclulet with my family . . . but have not gone in 5 or 6 years. I've mostly fished the Sound with a few trips to Neah Bay. The boat is looking awesome by the way.
Mike
Gypseas
Donator 14, 15

Post by Gypseas »

Napa Mike wrote:nice load of fish! whereabouts do you fish? I used to take an annual trip to Uclulet with my family . . . but have not gone in 5 or 6 years. I've mostly fished the Sound with a few trips to Neah Bay. The boat is looking awesome by the way.
Mike
Thanks, nothing to write home about 18-20 lb cookie cutters. I fish out of Sooke, BC due east from Neah Bay.
Gypseas
Donator 14, 15

Post by Gypseas »

Couple more hours of work before the heat sent me in.
before
after
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic