My first Post

A Place to Show and Tell
wolfer

My first Post

Post by wolfer »

I purchased a 2005 Wooldridge sport 20 offshore last October and it is painted black from the bottom of the gunnels to the trim at the bottom of the waterline. Every time I touch a dock it leaves a white rub mark that does not wash off. I am tired of it and would like to strip the paint and leave it natural aluminum. I intend to strip with aircraft stripper. Do I need to do anything else? will it season on its own? Should I leave it out of the water for a while or can I put it in the salt or brackish bay water right away? I cannot afford nor do I want to shark hide it. I just want bare aluminum. I really need some input before I make the move. Also I recently replaced a bad aluminum prop with a stainless steel one and now I noticed white corrosion on the bottom end. It never had a zink on the hull that I could find so I put aluminum two sided (aluminum) zinc on the plate next to the transducer. I assume the zincs on the 130 honda are (zinc) what could be causing the corrosion? I have been spraying corrosion block on the engine but it comes back.
Chaps
Donator '09

Re: My first Post

Post by Chaps »

Corrosion (or stuff that looks like corrosion) can be caused by many things and at times a stainless prop might be a contributing factor. Honda factory anodes are aluminum but most people buy replacements from local marine stores that are zinc which is the wrong choice IMO, they are not reactive enough. Be sure the anti-cav plate anode (the fin) is also aluminum as well as any other anodes on the hull, trim tabs, etc. If you are leaving this boat in salt water for extended periods of time you really ought to think about bottom paint as the primers isolate the hull and can help cut down on galvanic activity quite a bit. As far as the hullside paint is concerned (are you sure it is not a vinyl wrap?) paint remover will eventually get it off, it helps to break the gloss first with a sander so the remover can penetrate easier. Once you are back to bare metal and all paint residue is gone it will oxidize to a dull gray whether you use the boat or not.
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by kmorin »

Wolfer, without pictures its hard to be informed enough to reply with any firm statements about your boat. (so the following is kind of generic) First, lets take a look at the possibilities? It could be painted, and the boat could have huge decals or vinyl covers on the sides? Chaps raises this question because (of all of us here) he sees the most variety of hull coverings of all of us "cubed".

I'd ask you to get with Woolrich and ask if the boat was custom wrapped or painted, and the last owner, if possible, to get more info into his work on the boat. Stripper, strong and industrial- not 'orange scented floor cleaner for the weekend home owner' will lift most paints but.... if the surface was really well prepared for paint, and the guys at Woolrich would do a good job if requested- will still leave paint in weld edges and other shape contours where you'd have to pressure wash 'live or active' stripper out. Cleaning a good quality industrial (read toxic) stripper with an abrasive (sand in the water stream) hydro washer-- is an excellent way to remove paint scraps lifted by the stripper but not rinsed off due to the contours; by the garden hose.

So.... there may be some paint (or decal glue) left in some places? To get to the 'natural' (alloys aren't natural in the true sense) aluminum you'd want to follow the paint stripper/decal removal with a decent acid wash or etching. This is as abrasive/corrosive/dangerous/pain-in-the-stern as decent paint stripper but for different chemical reasons. (Search function on this site)

Once the metal is a nice bright white, bare aluminum color, just leave it alone- (for your remaining lifetime) It will get more dull and gray colored, and the waterline will foul with metal salts that often color the topsides a few inches above the bottom paint- depending on the local mineralization in your waters.
wolfer wrote:Also I recently replaced a bad aluminum prop with a stainless steel one and now I noticed white corrosion on the bottom end.

Bottom end of what? prop, hull, skeg of engine? trying to get a better picture.

Don't forget to contact Woolrich and let their tech's give you some feedback too? Remember when working on the phone a picture is worth countless words- so call; find a tech: get his email, take pictures and send them; make a date to call THAT TECH ONLY; (make sure he's not on vacation); call back discuss numbered photos, with numbered details that makes sure.....

Everyone is on the same page of the hymnal. If you don't do that, like posting here without pictures- we're all shooting in the dark, with blindfolds on, and YOU loose the opportunity to learn from those who may have already found a solution to your problem- but... being blind neither Chaps, or others, or the pro's at Woolrich can help you more than they can understand of your boat's conditions and your goals.

wolf, I'd sure like to help, and the most help I've been is to suggest you consider taking advantage of the full spectrum of the digital form of communications our host, welder, has Blessed us to enjoy.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
kmorin

Post by kmorin »

Wofer, went back to read the post and realized you're new here! Welcome to the AAB.com Forum, home of the most informed (and opinionated) welded aluminum boat forum in the entire US of A.

Please don't forget to give a few evenings to the Search Function, lots of info for the plate hull owner to read. In my opinion its never too long ago to bump a thread up here to ask your questions if you read something that seems unclear, vague, confusing or just raises a question that you'd like to clarify for yourself.

I am the AAB.com Forum's (resident and self appointed) site gnat-zee regarding mill scale, (I'm sure others may say 'troll'?) and I think Woolrich makes a great boat, but I always snivel that theirs and ALL welded boats should be acid etched before, during or after construction to remove the aluminum mill scale; due to my years doing repairs to boats that did not remove the mill scale. (for anyone reading; imagine not removing mill scale in steel hull's plates !!!! ????)

Of course, there are countless boats built, sold and running to day, doing fine- that have their mill scale still on the boat. But they almost 100% have flowers too?

Enough said, hope you'll post your thoughts, your work on your boat, show us some images and generally help others to learn more about these fine craft as you enjoy owning you own. Recommend Tfitz's thread on his boat remodel where corrosion played a significant role in many locations.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
wolfer

Post by wolfer »

Thank you both for your comments. I have been reading posts in this forum for the last couple weeks. I would have posted photos and will when I figure out how to load them from my computer. I have no online photo site just can upload from my hard drive. I went out an looked closer the trim at the water line appears to have been taped off and painted. as well as the rolled piping at the top edge of the gunnels on the higher area of the gunnels where you can walk beside the cabin. behind the cabin to the back of the boat there is more of the silver tape residue between the paint or wrap and the welds. I think it was painted. Across the back of the stern it is black above the offshore plate but there is what appears to be silver tape around the parimeter between the welds and the black. It has a sticky back and tears when I try to pull it off. I think there is paint under the tape but it does not go to the welds. I will get some photos so you can see what I am talking about when I figure out how to upload photos from my hard drive.
wolfer

Post by wolfer »

Apparently I cannot upload photos from my hard drive and I have no photo sharing program. Sorry

Yes, images can be shown in your posts. If the administrator has allowed attachments, you may be able to upload the image to the board. Otherwise, you must link to an image stored on a publicly accessible web server, e.g. http://www.example.com/my-picture.gif. You cannot link to pictures stored on your own PC (unless it is a publicly accessible server) nor images stored behind authentication mechanisms, e.g. hotmail or yahoo mailboxes, password protected sites, etc. To display the image use the BBCode [img] tag.
kmorin

Post by kmorin »

wolfer, I use Photobucket and pay $0.76/week (per year) to have my image archives 'mounted' so they're available and I can use them on any site. I thought (the ill informed talking out of school) that your pics, on your drive, could be uploaded by the 'attachment' feature?

Not my area of focus, honestly. There are so many versions of the phpBB in use, I 'm not remotely confident of advising what can and can't be linked, uploaded, attached, displayed or not!

Best of fortune getting images up, we're not going anywhere, we'll try to help once we can see the images. Glad you're here asking questions and showing us the circumstances.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

wolfer, can you email the pictures to me and I will post them for you?
lesrob60@aol.com
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic