Friends Boat

A Place to Show and Tell
soree

Friends Boat

Post by soree »

This is a 2003 Norsco 31. It belonged to a friend of mine before he died. I'm trying to figure out why he was dumping so much money into this boat. Why was he making these changes. This was his first boat. He had been fishing one time years ago that I know of. I think he is only the second owner (the first died too). I found out a little bit about Norsco sounds like they had some problems. Does this boat appear to be rigged correctly and for what? Anyone out there have any ideas?
Newport, OR
peterbo3
Contributor

Post by peterbo3 »

If the pics show the same boat, then adding a pod & hanging big triples off it may do all sorts of things to the ride & stability. The Inboard & leg get the centre of gravity down low whilst the OBs tend to raise the COG. Not saying that the pod is a bad thing, just that it needs to be set up right & designed by a naval architect.
What problems did you hear about? Ride? Build quality? Stability? More info would be good. Does not appear that ownership of this boat was a happy event.
Regards,

Pete in Brisbane
Bob5292

otter

Post by Bob5292 »

I think the Norsco and now Ottercraft boats are some of the best you can buy. I don't think I would have rigged triple E-tecs on the back, but to each his own. I can't tell from the pic, but did Ottercraft or another builder do the retrofit with the bracket. Is this boat for sale?

Bob
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

To me Norsco's are a very special boat and built very well. I put them in the ranks of Aerohead..........Bob is right I do not know if I would put triples on her she should have flied with twins. The previous owner did not like inboard power and retrofitted it for outboards......where he put alot of his money. Looks like she was outfitted to do some heavy duty shrimping, crabbing and salmon fishing. Ready to do a Alaska adventure.

Sorry to hear about your friend

Mark
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
soree

More info

Post by soree »

I read that Norsco took delivery of aluminum from one of their vendors that was not necessarily "marine Grade". Several boats were built with this stuff and some showed signs of corrosion and needed to be completely re-worked...time may have also been spent in court over this matter.......A company in Bayside, Washington by the name of Everett Bayside Marine did the retro.
Newport, OR
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Seems that material was used before March 2002 and that the US Coast Guard had a investigation. I am pretty much sure, they would pull Build records and hull numbers to remove and replace those hulls from circulation...... At least I would think so.

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource. ... ug=metal13

If you have any doubts you can have the aluminum tested or contact the US Coast Guard for their records.

Regards
Mark
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
ChubbyChaser

Re: Friends Boat

Post by ChubbyChaser »

Interesting. Just saw this on Craigslist...

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/boa/5633748832.html

Wonder if this one has the non-marine grade aluminum? Also, wonder how much it would cost to get her into decent cruising shape? Pretty cool looking boat tho
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic