Hi Folks MegaBites Guide Service Eye Candy 4 U PIC HEAVY!

A Place to Show and Tell
Seefood Man
Sponsor
Your location: Woodland, WA

Hi Folks MegaBites Guide Service Eye Candy 4 U PIC HEAVY!

Post by Seefood Man »

Hi Folks I finally got some pics for you. Hopefully they won't slow down the dial ups to much. These pics were taken in the Buoy-10 area of the Columbia River, where the river meets the "Big Blue" Pacific.
Ladies and Gentlemen welcome to the Screaming Eagle, proudly built by Pacific Boats.
Hence the name, she is 26' custom built guide boat, made to handle the rough Columbia conditions.

I chose the fine folks at Pacific cause they were very willing to work with me to get the boat of a lifetime, and they are the ONLY ones that installs flotation under the self-bailing deck. That was the biggest selling point of all. My client's safety always comes first.
I asked for an extra scupper on port and starboard.
1/2" plate on the bow and a Lewmar windless, duel HD cleats handle the heavy current anchoring on the river.
Comfortable seating that was raised off the floor for easy cleaning.
I also have two seats on pedestals so I can fish six comfortably.

Note the channel welded to the front of the console, this is to hole the rear of the fish cleaning table.

The table assembled which has a wash down hose off to the right.
Then legs are galvanized pipe and I put flanges on the underside of the table for them to screw into.

A better shot
Rod locker doors were moved together to allow for an 8' opening. I can put 12' rods in there without any problem.
Walk through transom for easy client boarding. The handrails were installed to maintain the continuity of the gunnel's, so it is a bit to high to throw one's leg over without getting high centered :shock:
And to push it along Merc 300 HP gets the job done at 36kt with six clients and 150 gallons of fuel.
The cut down console is a bit busy but I was looking for as much dance floor as possible. Pacific even tack welded it in while I was standing behind it with the steering column and wheel temporally mounted.
That's service!
We also have a removable windshield, but the pics didn't come out good.
Ladies and gentlemen,,The welders and builders of Pacific Boats!
I had the fine time with them about a month ago to take them out sturgeon fishing, we put a whacking on them!

A Pacific sunrise

Harbor shot

Well I hope you enjoyed that as much as I enjoy this fine site and the folks here.

If you ever get out this way, give me a call.

It would be great to have you folks aboard.
Sincerely
Pete Grace
1-888 OUT 4 FUN
1-888-688-4386
360-513-5256 cell
www.megabitesguideservice.com
pete@megabitesguideservice.com
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Pete, Dang glad to have you here.

Dan and Julie are the greatest. :wink:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Great Pics!
BMac

Post by BMac »

Wow, what a machine! 8)

Looks great with the VRod on the back!
Cheers
Brendan
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I'd sure love to have 2 of those seats that grab on to the shelf on my boat.
The ole farts would love me for it.

Did Pacific make boxes and such from scratch, then add those pillowy looking seats on top?

They look to have a zoleltone finish on them?

They look like they cost a pretty penny.

was thinking about adding two of these on the sides of my deck, but still no back rest....the older the person the more a back rest is needed. (If they "could" launch, and maintain their own boat they wouldn't hire me)
So my dad reminds me.......
http://www.garelick.com/product.php?pnumber=48099

I have two folding deck chairs but damn they take up alot of room.

-Damn that's one fugly fish. Do they eat good?
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Mass

Post by AlloyToy »

Outstanding!!!! Why the double scuppers?

Can you eat sturgeon??

A rugged fishing machine!!
Seefood Man
Sponsor

Post by Seefood Man »

Morning Dave
The seats and boxes are from Alumaweld. I had the same in my last jet boat and my clients raved about their comfort, so I decides to go with the same in the Pacific. The two forward ones are fixed and Kevin at Pacific came up with the slider system, the man is a thinker! He also made the platforms for the boxes. We made the legs a bit longer to start so we could level the seats as the deck angles up to the bow. The six seats, zolotoned boxes and two pedestals ran about $1400. The cushions of the seats are also encapsulated in plastic so they don't soak up water. If you want a couple of these I can hook you up with my dealer and can get them sent out to you. They also come with and without the arm rests, I highly recommend them.

That "fugly" fish is a sturgeon. They taste better then halibut and have a texture similar to mako. They are some of the best fish that will grace your taste buds. I do a slab of it on the grill with just a touch of salt, fresh cracked pepper and a light sprinkle of dill. This fish is sooooo gooood that I tell my clients not to over spice it. The keeper size is 42" to 60" up river and 45" to 60" down river. A 60 incher has some pretty good shoulders on them and dresses out to about 25lbs to 30lbs of prime eating. They are also wonderful smoked with alder, but generally it gets picked apart before it gets out of the smoker :D . These fish get over 100 years old and the largest one I caught last year was about 15 foot and about 900lbs. it took over 1 1/2 hours to get it to the boat and I couldn't even lift the head out of the water for a pic. Oversized fishing is nothing but a blast. A day can average 4 to 5 fish that are about 10ft to 12ft. many clients are done after one fish. The rod gets passed around the boat as I never had a client able to fight one entirely by themselves. Last year I trashed three Penn 320s in a week fighting these oversized.
I have some pics of them and will get them posted a bit later.
Stay well
Pete
S L Dave
Donator #1 '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13

Post by S L Dave »

Hey Pete,
Glad you found the forum. Very cool boat.

What type of hooks and bait do you use to catch the big sturgeons? The same as the smaller ones ...or do you target the giants specifically?

I assume that the bigs are all catch and release...do they all get lip hooked?

Dave
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
IN2DEEP
WON Super Star Donator '08, '09, '10, '11

Post by IN2DEEP »

Welcome to the forum Seefood Man!

I like your boat. It looks like you have it rigged to your liking without any compromises.

Got a few questions for you.
What kind of rod holder is in this picture?
Never seen one of that style that wasn't custom made.

Also was wondering if your kicker has a "center" lock when it's tilted up.
I'm thinking that the 9.9 is a Tohatsu wearing Mercury clothing?
Is that the one with power tilt?
How do you like it and would you get another one if given a choice?
I also realize that Yamaha four strokes are proven and very popular kickers.

Thanks, Scott
1989 22' Walkaround Cuddy Bayrunner
2001 115 Merc. 4 stroke/1988 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke kicker
Seefood Man
Sponsor

Post by Seefood Man »

Hi IN2DEEP
The rod holders are Scotty's
http://www.scotty.com/marine/products/p ... index.htmlThey are the most durable ones made. I've tried Downeasters, but they don't can't hold the bigger rods.
The kicker is a 9.9 Merc Pro kicker that is not in drag :lol:
There are two flexible straps on either side that centers the motor as it is raised. The Pro-kicker comes with hydraulic tilt, electric start and backup pull start. I get a new one about every 12 to 18 months. I get a really good trade in deal from my dealer, so going with another is out of the question for me, however, the Yahamas are popular here to. We also have a TR-1 autopilot on it for trolling or holding the boat back on anchor.
Pete
IN2DEEP wrote:Welcome to the forum Seefood Man!

I like your boat. It looks like you have it rigged to your liking without any compromises.

Got a few questions for you.
What kind of rod holder is in this picture?
Never seen one of that style that wasn't custom made.

Also was wondering if your kicker has a "center" lock when it's tilted up.
I'm thinking that the 9.9 is a Tohatsu wearing Mercury clothing?
Is that the one with power tilt?
How do you like it and would you get another one if given a choice?
I also realize that Yamaha four strokes are proven and very popular kickers.

Thanks, Scott
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

SeeFood,

PENN 320's???

Man you need to get hooked up with Accurate!!!!!

Tarpon and Shark here have no chance against my Accurates. (add me on the rod, versus my clients, I mean.)

NO maintenence, especially if that river's sweet water. Endless Drag pressure, 30 pounds is not uncommon at all. At rod tip, if you're not afraid of "splinters".........hahahahah.

And smooth with the heat poured on.

Well the best fish I ever ate in my life was the rarer PINK meat'd Swordfish. Texture like a fillet Mignon.....gawd dang that was gooood.

Yep, I thought those were some pricey seats. So it was a combined effort huh?

My dad builds motor cycle seats and all good seats have plastic under the cloth for wetness pretection. They might start a night shift, cuz the motor cycle seat biz is thru the roof, so I may actually have found a part-time
J-O-B, after months of no thank you's while searching. That will be nice...nice to continue eating once a day. :roll:

Have to maintain this shed over the tools. Hate for them to get wet when it rains. :wink:

They look like $$$$ to you, I know. And would to me too. But thats still one ugly looking prehistoric fish. They have a face only a mother or charter fisherman could truely love like their own. :lol: :lol:
IN2DEEP
WON Super Star Donator '08, '09, '10, '11

Post by IN2DEEP »

Pete,

Thanks for the answers and the Scotty link. First time I've seen or noticed that rod holder.
Wow, new kicker every 1-1 1/2 years?...your $$$ dealer $$$ must love you!

Hey Jetty, Accurates are for personal use, NOT for charter clientele :roll:
Penn 320=$79...good reel for charter boats :wink:

This new Diawa looks like it can fill the bill 4.9 to 1 gear ratio, around $170

...or the Shimano Tekotas

Scott :D
1989 22' Walkaround Cuddy Bayrunner
2001 115 Merc. 4 stroke/1988 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke kicker
Seefood Man
Sponsor

Post by Seefood Man »

"Man you need to get hooked up with Accurate!!!!!"

Dave I ran the 320 cause it would not be the first time I hold a client to "hold on to the rod, it's a big fish" only to have them say, yea, I got it!
Then a few seconds later, my arms are stretched out like Michel Phelps in the last 50 feet of a race, trying to grab the rod before it goes skipping off into the sunrise. I did kick it up a notch and get a few Shimano TLD 25s with a lever drag. I can back off on the drag if the client is wearing down, notice I said the client wears down, not the fish. :shock:

"Wow, new kicker every 1-1 1/2 years?...your $$$ dealer $$$ must love you! "

Yes they do! However, 95% of our fishing is done with the kicker. So in that time I can easily rack up 1000 hours on it. Which is about half life for one. At this rate I get a new one for about $600.
I figure it this way; I have six clients that spent several thousands of dollars on, air fare, hotel, rental car, time off from work and my fees, to go fishing with me for a day or two. I get the boat in the water and warm up the big motor and the kicker won't start or won't run right. I got six guys giving me the evil eye :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: .
I owe it to my clients to have the most dependable equipment to make sure they have a time of a lifetime.
Also, the relationship I have with my dealer is if I have a problem I just call and bring it right down and they get me right in. No appointments!
In a most cases I just wait there for it. I can't find that service anywhere. They know it's my living, so they take very good care of me and the rest of the guides here.
Seefood Man
Sponsor

Post by Seefood Man »

"They look like $$$$ to you, I know. And would to me too. But thats still one ugly looking prehistoric fish. They have a face only a mother or charter fisherman could truely love like their own."

BTW Dave, One of these days you will get up here and fish with me and when you get your first sturgeon you will have to give it a big ole kiss :lol: I'll make sure to get the pics to post here. :D
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Yeah, I'll FRENCH one of those sucker mouths!

Now that'll be a photo!!!!!!! (yummy)

IN2DEEP,

No Accurates are for charter use, man. That's what sets me apart from the "hacks" here with all their Plueger and Shakespere pot metal reels.
Accurate want guides to use them, that's why they get great deals. No one has ever dropped one over. If thats what your worry would be.

I've been using mine for at least 8 years. There's nothing like twin drags for really big fish. And a 9-10' Sturgeon, is made for them.

Not sure what rods work for them suckers, but a medium sized Accurate spooled with braid, and a G. Loomis "Halibut series" stand up rod with lite rollers, would seem like a good combo to lay the wood to ole rubber-lips.

Just a thought SeeFood. My favorites are my mini-B197's, smaller than a Garcia 6500 ambassador, and wickedly bad-azz.

I'm not a "spinner" man, but if I was I'd have me a few Twin Spins too.

My neighbor has the MONSTER one and man, what a spinning reel!

I consider mine hierlooms......but before that ya need to have a date first. :lol: :lol:

But also have this on my web sites policies page:
"Lost or damaged tackle (rods & reels) will be charged at replacement cost. Please treat my fishing tackle as if it were your own."
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

As previously asked: "Why quad scuupers"?
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

SUBMARINE MANUVEURS, C'mon!

:? :?
Seefood Man
Sponsor

Post by Seefood Man »

Sorry I missed that one.
Where the Columbia river meets the Pacific is the Columbia River Bar. It is the meanest bar in the country, and I've been in some really bad BACK SIDE bars in my time :shock:

Well there are two types of waves there:
Type #1 Wave is a "Oh Crap" wave which requires one scupper on port and starbord sides. Sometimes you get some water in the boat.

Type #2 Wave is a "OOOOOH SHHHHIT" wave that is often followed by another in rapid succession. That requires getting the water out of the boat as fast as possible before the next one hits.
Thus the reason for 4 scuppers.
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Here it's supposively Oregon Inlet N. Carolina, thats an azz pucker'er.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

two work so well on my 23.......i can't imagine how good 4 work. I'd be afraid of getting sucked out :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thx for the reply.........
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic