Cold in Anchorage

Talk About Everything Else...
Sports, Toys, The Weather, etc.
jrbaldwin
Donator '08

Cold in Anchorage

Post by jrbaldwin »

Just completed my 2nd trip of 6 running to Alaska. 13 degrees in Anchorage and the ice is starting to build up in upper Cook Inlet. It took 2 hours to dock the ship in a 3-4 kt flood current and a 37 ft tide range. We had to put the bow against the dock, 20 RPM ahead on engines against the fwd spring to flush the ice from between the ship and dock. The ice built up on the dock fenders still held the ship 2-3 ft off the dock. The lube oil temp started rising till the C/E turned on the steam to the lube oil cooler. Running thru the ice a 20 kts is real interesting, a lot of rumbling and shaking as you hit the big pans.

Jim
Attachments
Anchorage Alaska 1.jpg
Anchorage Alaska 1.jpg (43.09 KiB) Viewed 4144 times
Anchorage Alaska 2.jpg
Anchorage Alaska 2.jpg (46.27 KiB) Viewed 4144 times
Anchorage Alaska 3.jpg
Anchorage Alaska 3.jpg (34.33 KiB) Viewed 4144 times
Anchorage Alaska 4.jpg
Anchorage Alaska 4.jpg (41.69 KiB) Viewed 4144 times
Anchorage Alaska 5.jpg
Anchorage Alaska 5.jpg (46 KiB) Viewed 4144 times
22ft Lee Shore Swiftsure, Glyde Ryde Seats, Yahama 150 & 8 HT, 110 gallons fuel
C120 Chart Plotter / GPS / Fishfinder / Radar / AIS / Heading Sensor, DSC VHF
NMEA 2000 & Yamaha Command Link Networks, EPIRB

16.5 Hewsecaft Sea Runner, 40 HP Mercury
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Re: Cold in Anchorage

Post by mojomizer »

Had to throw another blanket on the bed seeing those pictures. I think running into what you call pans (Those are So Cal Icebergs) I would be sweating bullets from all parts of my anatomy.
Cool pictures :thumbsup: Thank you for sharing.

Guess I do not understand the true meaning of cold. My refrigerator's freezer is warmer then that. :shocked:

Warm Wishes
Mark
2325 Wa Pacificskiff
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Wow!! What are you transporting??

That's cold :shocked:
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

Home sweet home! Cool pics of our "port". Lots of ice this time of year for sure. How was the trip across the Gulf of Alaska. Have you been in seas where you lose any totes? Makes for some interesting finds on the beaches of Montague Island. If you are doing this trip again and you have time, I'll buy you a beer. :beer:

It's 10 degrees this morning with a couple inches of fresh snow. Come on spring!
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
jrbaldwin
Donator '08

Post by jrbaldwin »

We carry anything shipped in containers to to Alaska. Safeway, Home Depot, Walmart, Car, Personal Goods, ect. Never lost anything over the side yet but bought some containers into port a little bent.

This winter I have been lucky and only been thru three 50+ storms, with the highest wind gust of 101 kts.

The Consumer was built for the North Atlantic trade and is constructed of heavy mild steel and has a 95 ft beam, 400 ft bilge keels and large flume tanks. If I can keep the seas on the beam or stern we only roll 10-15 degrees, except off of Cape St James Island where we took several +50 degree snap rolls. Bow into a big sea & swell is a problem because of the pounding and motion in the forward house. You feel and hear everything and don't get much sleep.

Departing Tacoma tonight at 2130 and arriving in Anchorage for a 0700 cargo start on the 9th.

Starting the 3rd of 6 trips and then time to go fishing.

Jim
22ft Lee Shore Swiftsure, Glyde Ryde Seats, Yahama 150 & 8 HT, 110 gallons fuel
C120 Chart Plotter / GPS / Fishfinder / Radar / AIS / Heading Sensor, DSC VHF
NMEA 2000 & Yamaha Command Link Networks, EPIRB

16.5 Hewsecaft Sea Runner, 40 HP Mercury
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by kmorin »

JRB
cold in ANC? I'm sure glad the Yukon is shoal and ice bound and you can't get a Tote or Sealand container carrier up the creek to Fairbanks!!

When you're on the Inlet's offshore production platforms the pan makes the entire platform sway in the ebb, especially up above the Forelands at the Tyonek- I can hardly sleep if I get stuck there overnight. IT seems hard to believe a 110 foot square, four legged steel oil production platform standing in a lousy 100' of water would flex with a little ice - but they do. I used to do the crane wt indicator tests, but don't miss that work in Januaryp-walking a swaying 100' stick, hanging over the Inlet flowing with the pan ice was always good for a few minutes of [real serious] Prayer.

I did some instrumentation repairs on the LNG tankers that used to load in Nikiski and haul through the Aluetians to Nipon, one of those 890' hulls was wrinkled in a 3m/.02 sec vertical movement in a N.Pacific blow just south of Kiska Is.- outbound. I have to say I'm much more comfortable with my soft, overly round stern planted in this chair sipping the red and laying hands on the keyboard.

You folks can have the Gulf in the winter to yourselves; I'll remain a happy puker and full time coasty in my little welded boats and leave the off soundings work to you guys with the brass 'plum' appendages.

But thanks for the goods and groceries, we all enjoy them.

Cheers,
kmorin
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

kmorin wrote: You folks can have the Gulf in the winter to yourselves; I'll remain a happy puker and full time coasty in my little welded boats and leave the off soundings work to you guys with the brass 'plum' appendages.

But thanks for the goods and groceries, we all enjoy them.

Cheers,
I second that! The Gulf can be a mother any time, but especially during the months ending in "r"s.
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic